Major supposedly gets the boot

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Desperado, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

2. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Wow.

“According to Godfrey, West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen is among those the Cougars have on their early shortlist.”

Dana would be crazy to take the UH job.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Win

Win 100+ Posts

That is odd, I thought they signed him to a 5 year contract or something like that with a big bonus if he stayed for the length of his contract.

4. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

If true Id like to get him as our OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Been there done that. If we can continue to improve the OLine and keep the right QBs I think our O is fine. What we need to fix the most is the DLine and all 3 are graduating. We should not be this bad with 3 Srs. We gotta get difference makers at all 3 positions to start to own the Big12.

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I'd move to Houston from hillbilly country. He may miss the moonshine, though.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Why would DH leave WVU for UH? Would Tillman fork up enough to get him there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rick mueller

I doubt that UH has any higher quality coeds, though. It's basically an overgrown community college.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. horninchicago

Have you been to Morgantown? I have when I used to fly private charter. You would understand.

11. rick mueller

No I haven't so maybe that explains it. I just see him moving from a Power 5 conference (as messed up as it is) to a lesser conference.

12. horninchicago

From that standpoint, I agree.

13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

HIC is right. Unfortunately, I've been to Morganhole too... it is a DUMP. There are more bars in that town per capita than anywhere in the U.S.

Agree overall Houston and UH might be much more attractive for him, but I think Holgerson is from WV and or that program. He may not want to leave as he is King (in that awful state) with a P5 program.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  14. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Half the girls at UT are from Houston and it's safe to say Texas has some of the hottest college girls around. So yes, UH almost certainly has prettier girls than WV. However that would be shocking for him to leave a P5 school for a school in a mid major conference.

That said, if the right coach is willing to stick around, you can win a national title at UH. Herman had that team trending into top 10 territory and if he continued recruiting the UH would be a contender within a few more years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I really thought that student trainer thing would have blown over by now.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Hot Hot x 2
  16. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

UH has ambitions I guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Maybe they should offer him $100M and give him a blank championship plaque.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. WorsterMan

Kinda like aggy ?

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

The UH revolving door does not make this job easy for anyone. I think MA just got the tail end of the Briles/Sumlin/Herman go round. Also, I think Tilman hates all things UT and probably has little regard (or trust) for MA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anyone see an issue with this?

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. LonghornDave

I am assuming it's a #metoo reference?

22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I personally think Major is vastly overrated, I'd pass. Even at OC, I'd pass. I think we have a good thing going with Beck

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. LonghornDave

In general I would agree with you. I think most of the bad moments involved poorly thrown passes and O lineman that don't get the holding thing (or the breaks OU lineman got). Wish we had a running game....like every play in a drive line up and run. Just me. and the drive isn't three and out.

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

And the problem is ????

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. WorsterMan

Life, uhh, not so good there... nothing to do but drink / get drunk most days...

26. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Maybe the reference is to jail bars.

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Maybe unintentionally... but I was thinking about the fact that he's "NEVER been able to get over the hump" in TWO YEARS. Our definition of "never" seems to get pretty flexible around college football coaches who get whipped in a bowl game.

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

No, but I've been to Houston. :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  29. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I think both Major and Muschamp are good coordinators and not good HCs. Major's clear failing was the inability to do anything with the defensive side of the ball. Muschamp's clear failing is the inability to do anything with the offensive side of the ball. Both can coordinate their side of the ball well though. Yes, I would take Major back at UT as OC. He did add a dimension to the U of H offense that Beck does not.

To Major's credit, he did beat Charlie Strong twice, Rich Rodriguez and Kevin Sumlin.

To his discredit, he lost to Kliff Kingsbury twice.

He did get some bad breaks with injuries and Ed Oliver basically causing internal problems the minute Tom Herman left. That said, Applewhite's failure to hire a decent defense coordinator overshadows the things that were not his fault. Horrible loss or not, two years seems like too quick to make a change. Every coach deserves at least 3. I could see the writing on the wall here with Charlie Strong, but was still pro giving him and any coach 3 years unless the first two years are a complete disaster. Applewhite's first two years were not what U of H expected, but I am not sure they were a disaster much less a complete disaster outside of the bowl game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1