Major supposedly gets the boot

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Desperado, Dec 29, 2018.

1. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Getting beat down 70-14 by ARMY on national television undoes a WHOLE lot of good feelings about two winning seasons...

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Very true, and some still question Charlie getting fired after year 3 after losing to KANSAS and zero winning seasons. Sorry to go down that rabbit hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure who still questions that decision. I haven't seen any defenders around here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I have. The debate still goes on sometimes. There is definitely a contingent that feels Charlie should have been given more than 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I was one of Charlie's biggest supporters.
    After the Kansas defeat I was finally able to get behind moving on.
    I do not, and don't recollect seeing anyone else, think he should have been given another year.
    During the Sam/Shane debate I have wondered aloud how Shane might have looked with another year under Sterlin Gilbert.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

DH will use UH to get a better deal from WVU.

7. Horn hubby

Horn hubby 500+ Posts

What was Mack’s record his last year? Just sayin.....

8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Applewhite’s failure to get a defensive coordinator is all on him. Same with Mack not dumping Manny Diaz after 2012. It was clear after Major’s first season he needed a new DC.

That said though, U of H has made it clear before Applewhite they have ridiculous expectations. Army beatdown or not, it is generally not fair to fire a coach after two years, especially given that Applewhite lost his darkhorse heisman contender QB to injury and Ed Oliver was basically a continuous internal problem the minute Herman left. Applewhite did fire his DC after this year and the winning seasons did deserve a shot at a third year.

Use Charlie Strong at South Florida as an example. He has not met expectations, has few quality wins and the trajectory of that program is not looking good with him at the helm. The six game losing streak is bad. That said, he has has two winning seasons and firing him now would be absurd. He deserves a third year.

Coaches almost always deserve a third year. Mike Locksley at New Mexico is one of the few cases where his first two years were a complete disaster on and off the field and he deserved to be fired, but even he got to start a third year.

It is not a good look for U of H to say “we want 10 wins in the first two years or you are gone”. They also fired Tony Levine after a winning season and went nuts on Herman and Sumlin after they left for better jobs. The truth is, when you have no leash, the school’s expectations are unrealistic and they do not see themselves as the stepping stone job that they are, it is not a good opportunity for a lot of coaches. If you are a coach, do you really want to go somewhere where you could be fired for going 8-5 your first two years?

The WVU HC (unless Dana just really wants to be back in Texas) and USC OC are far better than what U of H is offering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Especially when you go
    0-1
    7-5
    8-5

as Major did as HC for the Coogs.

S M H

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

They must be confident they have their man.

11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I never thought Major was the answer but just who does UH think they are, Alabama?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. PDM

PDM < 25 Posts

If you and, more importantly, UH didn't think Major was the answer, then why should they give him another year?

He was, in fact, going to get a third year, which is why UH agreed to give Briles a raise. But when Briles bolted and UH got throttled by Army, it became pretty clear that UH and Major were in an untenable position. He needed to replace both his DC and his OC; but who was going to sign on for what could be only a 1-year tenure? And was UH supposed to extend Major to allow him to attract coordinators?

For better or worse, Tilman is exerting his influence. Frankly, I think he bungled the Major hiring by insisting that applicants agree to his onerous contract terms. We'll see if he gets it right this time. Hiring Holgerson would be quite a coup. We'll see whether he's just leveraging UH for a raise.

I don't understand why, though, folks denigrate UH by suggesting that they should know their place, accept mediocrity, or restrain their expectations. A lot of folks here knew that Strong wasn't the answer after year 2 and were calling for his firing--those folks were right, as it turns out.

13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Sangre Naranjada

With you almost all the way, moondog. I wasn't fully off Charlie's bandwagon until the Kansas loss, though I will admit to already having one foot dragging in the dirt ready to leap prior to our ill-fated visit to Lawrence.

I will say I recall Shaark being the most vocal supporter to the idea of Charlie getting a 4th season. I may be somewhat alcohol addled on New Year's Eve, so if I am wrong about that, allow me to apologize in advance.

15. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Where is Houston getting the money?

17. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Boosters pay coaches salaries.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't think being upset about going 8-5 with both their best offensive and defensive player out is realistic expectations. That has very little to do with them being UH. And it has very little to do with Charlie Strong either - "have a winning season in 3 years and don't lose to Kansas" is pretty different.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Tillman Fertitta

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Sangre Naranjada

From you, every time you support one of Tillman Fertitta's businesses.