Major's O at UH...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Denmark, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

is looking better than ours!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Hard to argue that ... UH is destroying AZ
    31-0 and it’s not even halftime

• Like Like x 1
  3. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

When Ohio St needed a coach they get a NC proven coach. Michigan gets NFL head coach. A&M gets NC coach. We get a coordinator followed by a coach at a non power 5 school. So tell me wtf is wrong with our ability to get the best coaches out there. I thought we were a top 5 destination. Clearly we're not.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  4. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I would take Major as our next coach.

• Like Like x 7
  5. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Pace yourself.... there are a lot of games still to come today featuring offenses better than ours.

We are a top destination but we've been a trainwreck for years and when you combine that with all the inherent BS that comes along with the Texas job, I think it cools some people off.

Herman was a hot commodity when he was hired here and we were not the only big school sniffing around his door. Although he hasn't accomplished much at Texas other than beginning to alienate the fan base at an impressive rate by generally being a testy jackanapes, he still may be the guy to get things done here. I really think it's too soon to say and he's going to get year 3 no matter what anyways.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  6. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

OU just looks like they are at a completely different level. Good OLine, great receivers, very good tail backs. Not totally sold on Murray. He's accurate deep, but not very accurate short. But his receivers make up for it on big plays.

7. hookem245

hookem245 100+ Posts

with all due respect, what does OU have to do with this thread??

8. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

And part of the problem at Texas is that we eat our own. We must give him some time, but I do share the frustration.
    All great coaches started somewhere without a proven resume. Bob Stoops came out of nowhere and the Aggies went after some big names who failed. I will not support Tom if he is too hard headed to make corrections. But in the near term, I will give him credit for a mild turnaround and some great defensive play last year. Last week was dogs- - t and he needs to fix that and get his quarterback to pull his head out of his a- - on some plays. If that does not happen, it is time for players to ride the pine. This could get real serious real soon for Tom.

9. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If Texas took Major as our next coach I would probably throw myself off the tower.

Texas has a strong history of great football, but since DKR they have a stronger history of terrible coaching hires. When Texas went from flirting with Saban to hiring Charlie Strong, I felt pretty let down. I didn't think he was worthy of a shot this early. It didn't take me long to realize I was right. We fired him quickly, but turned around and hired a guy just like him.

What seems to be the real issue is we pander to the ******* big money boosters and let them pick our guy. Well this is the result.

Herman isn't dead yet, he can still turn things around, but he is digging himself a hole with his total BS. This isn't a team that should be losing to teams like Maryland. That wasn't two equal teams, that was a big dog getting it's *** kicked by a poodle.

My only hope is that Maryland has a good year and proves that they lost to a quality opponent.

I'm just looking at this roster and minus a Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley this team is pretty close to the same talent as the 2009 team.

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

So, other than by far the best 2 players on an otherwise mediocre offense, the teams are the same? That's kind of like "other than Kyrie and LeBron, the Cavs are the same as they were a couple of years ago."

Plus, I'm not sure we have an Earl Thomas, Sam Acho, or Sergio Kindle on defense either.

11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Good observation. I would add that overall, this receiving corps is better. Give Colt CJ, LJH, Duvernay, Heard and the freshmen hotshots and Texas would be scoring points like a pinball machine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

This is a pathetic offense, I'd lay about 30% of the blame on the play calling and 70'% on the QB.

How is it not obvious to the coaching staff that the problem with this offense is SE. I really like the kid, but he is in over his head, it's been that way since last year. The oline gave him good protection, the running backs were pretty good, and for the most part the receivers were great.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No more Group of 5 HC's. Cut half of the Athletic Dept.Budget and use that money to get a real coach. That means Major would have to find a Power 5 gig before Texas finally gets a HC.

14. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Remember we could've had Jimbo, but he was too "prickly". Yet TH is not too "prickly".:smh:

15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sam was 21/27 for 237 and 2 TDs. How can 70% of last night's offensive stagnation be blamed on him?

• Like Like x 2
  16. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

I think the best of Major and still wear his jersey but while he was OC here, he didn't exactly light it on fire. TH is here for the long haul I hope, we've switched coaches enough for now. In the distant future I would like to see Major coach here.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's Kendal Briles' offense, not Majors'

• Like Like x 1
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

What is lost on everyone is the problem with Herman is, his “great offenses” at U of H were Major’s, not his or Tim Beck’s. Also, Major went and got a good OC (even with the baggage) unlike Herman did with Tim Beck. Herman’s offenses seem lost without Major.

19. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

At least a couple of those years was our Harsinwhite offense so it's kinda hard to gauge exactly what Major was bringing to the table. Then I think Major had the one year after Bryan Harsin wisely took the first train out of town to Arkansas State. I will always believe that Mack meddled far more in the offense than the defense and I'm not sure if we were ever going to see Major's true abilities so long as he was doing things how Mack Brown wanted.

A lot would have to line up and probably it never will but the ex-longhorn no one is really talking about whom I'd take over Major, at this point, is Kyle Shannahan.

• Like Like x 3
  20. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Only problem with Kyle is that he is a NFL guy not college. Didn't know he was the head coach at San Francisco. Congrats to him on his quick rise in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Anyone think Major has learned anything since he was here?

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

OU is doing ok with their young offensive coordinator hire with no head coaching experience.

• Like Like x 1