Making my last stand

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Wild Bill, Feb 1, 2010.

1. alt875

alt875 250+ Posts

Thanks for making me feel like a crybaby chump for bitching about my life.

Keep fighting the good fight man. You have all my respect and best wishes [​IMG]

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Amazing, but I'm actually getting stronger and feeling better despite no treatment. About 2 months ago I told my oncologist I wanted to stop the chemo for a while because a)it was making me sick and very, very tired, and b) the tumor was still growing even on pretty high dose therapy.

I just wanted a break and planned to either continue or let the docs find another regimen during my break. I did not expect to get stronger, but now I get out of the wheelchair at least twice a day and walk with assistance about 20 ft laps for exercise.

All of this progress without medical or surgical intervention. Maybe it won't last, but right now, I'm very happy. I thank all those who prayed for me including all of you in the hornfan nation. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Wild Bill, you can bet we'll all continue to pray for you. Keep fighting!

HornHuskerDad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

Good to hear, Wild Bill. More prayers sent your way.

5. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

that is certainly welcome news.

Hang in there.

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they find a new cancer regimen for you. There are some pretty good tyrosine kinase inhibitors for glioblastoma in clinical trials. Also there is an anti-angiogenesis antibody and a mitotic/tubulin and histone deacetylase inhibitor. I assume that you have already been on a Thalidomide/Thalidomide derivative. If you are interested on reading up on drugs in development, probably the best place to go is PhrmaThe Link to see what is out there and then clinicaltrials.gov to find out more about the trials. I have a close friend who is a Stanford MD/PhD who consults on drug development and if there is a particular drug that you are going to be placed on, he might be able to provide me with some insight into its effectiveness as he sometimes puts together and summarizes expert panels.

7. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

Bill, that is great to hear. Updates to this thread are all I really come to this site for anymore, so keep them coming. You are in my prayers.

8. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

WildBill, hadn't lurked here in a while, so I just saw this. Wanted to let you know I am keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Cancer took away two relatives who were very near and dear to me way too soon before their time. I really sympathize with your family and lift you all up during this time. Stay strong.

9. Sugarpunk

Sugarpunk 500+ Posts

That is GREAT news, Wild Bill. I will continue to pray for you and your family. God Bless.

10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Thankyou, everybodody! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I like this trend. It sits well with me so let's keep it going and going and going.

[​IMG]

12. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

I'm just checking on you, Wild Bill, my comrade in burnt orange. How goes the fight?

13. you are amazing.
    i could only hope to be as brave and courageous as you were i to ever face death head on like you have all this time. your unbreakable spirit is keeping you alive and inspiring all who know you, even us here on the ol' internet.

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

It's Friday, Bill, and the Horns are playing in Mizzou this weekend. Here's to listening to the game with us and celebrating another victory!

15. Reborn_Horn

Reborn_Horn 100+ Posts

Wild Bill,

Checking in on you my Longhorn brother. Hope the fight continues and you are giving cancer the three finger salute today.

- Reborn

16. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

I just turned 40 yesterday, but it was bitter/sweet. It was a happy/sad day...I felt like I was "getting older", but still loving life. Then I was faced with some mortality when another family member of mine finally succumbed to Alzheimer's.

Wild Bill, we've got your back, my friend. Keep fighting the good fight. We'll keep cheering you on! God bless you as you continue to show this dreaded disease the double-middle finger.

17. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I have been following this thread for some time. But I couldn't figure out what I wanted to say. I guess that is just me. So I finally decided to do a simple, always-approptiate, filled with respect and hope and love:
    HOOK 'EM HORNS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. stina

stina 100+ Posts

Wild Bill, You and your family are in my prayers. Know that fighting to stay with him as long as possible, will make an impression on your son, and having his Mom and sisters already strong, will also help him. It only takes one positive influence to make the world feel like a safe place and it sounds like your son has at least four. Hugs in your general direction [​IMG]

19. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

Still out there, Bill? If so, your dignity and courage are inspiring. If not, but by some cosmic mystery you are aware of this, know that we noticed you weren't here anymore.
    Godspeed, Wild Bill.

20. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Well said BC, well said. [​IMG]

21. RC Didnt Offer

RC Didnt Offer 250+ Posts

[​IMG] to you Bill.

22. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Does anyone happen to know how he is?

Regardless, wishing you the best Wild Bill. Keep fighting!

[​IMG]

23. BornOrange

BornOrange 100+ Posts

WIld Bill,

You are an inspiration to many of us. I am praying for you and your family.

Keep fighting!

24. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

It doesn't appear that Wild Bill has posted anything in well over a month. I hope he is hanging in there. He and his family are in my prayers.

[​IMG]

25. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

RIP Wild Bill

26. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

just went back and reread bill's original post. so very sad.

while one has to feel badly of course for all of his loved ones, it's impossible for me not to be especially mindful of his 13 year old son.

you might recall he was having an especially difficult time. my thoughts and prayers are with them all.

27. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

I must have typed out five or ten replies to this thread, but never hit "Send".

I always thought them too trite, or repetitive of what had already been said.

Now that it's too late for him to see it, I guess I'm left to repeat what I'VE already said twice now -

God Bless and Hook'em WildBill.

And I'll add : Thanks for being an inspiration and a friend to us all.

[​IMG]

P.S. " F " Cancer

28. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

A 17 year battle is one hell of a fight. I expressed my condolences for the family and friends in the other thread, but I can't stop thinking about the youngest son and how Bill said they were so close. I lost both my parents when I was eleven and then my only son who was also my best friend, was taken from me over a year ago, so I can relate. My thoughts and prayers are especially for Bill's son.

29. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

WB,
    I can't believe I've never read this post before. Stay strong and stay on.
    Prayers for you , we open Friday on the road against one of our rivals. (I am a coach) You will be the team prayer.
    DC Head Coach 'Fighting Tigers'

RIP Wild Bill

30. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

Everybody that I spoke to at UTMB loved the guy, and this is more than 25 years out.

Strong work, sir.