Making the trip to Oxford next year

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Texas___Fight, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

I've just about got the wife talked into taking a mini vacation to Oxford to party in the Grove next year. Has anyone taken this trip from Austin and make any recs on the must stops along the way?

2. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

We drove there from Dallas a few summers ago. I don't remember a lot to see on the way, though you could go through Vickburg if coming from Austin.

If you want to actually stay in Oxford, MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATION NOW. Lodging looked to be very limited. We stayed at the Old Miss Inn, which is the alumni hotel on campus just across the street from the Grove. We were there in June, so it was fairly dead, but I talked to the front desk lady and she said you normally need to reserve a room a year in advance on football weekends, and Ole Miss alums get priority. If you can't get anything in Oxford, you could always stay in memphis, 1 - 1.5 hours away.

I thought Oxford was a really cool little town, with a nice historic square. I got interested in William Faulkner a few year ago, and you can visit his home. Also, Taylor Grocery about 10 miles away has really great fried catfish (BYOB).

3. CalHornGal

CalHornGal 25+ Posts

Update on Oxford lodging. I'd been in touch with the Old Miss Inn last month - and they said they'd be opening up their football weekend waitlist for rooms this week. Received the form yesterday, and right below the area where you choose which game weekend you want, there are big words stating "TEXAS - NOT AVAILABLE". Great. I've been in touch with some of the other Oxford hotels - and the trend seems to be that they all open their reservations for football weekends in mid-June. There are several hotel options in Batesville (26 miles west) and New Albany (35 miles east). Tupelo (63 miles northeast) seems to be the closest "larger" city with options. The Link

4. CMA 5.110

CMA 5.110 25+ Posts

Thanks for the info. I was thinking Tupelo myself from the little research I had done so far. [​IMG]

5. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

I will be using Memphis as the base of operations.

6. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

have family in Brandon, near Jackson, so staying in Greenwood after the game--grew up in nearby Lexington, so will make it through there on Sunday--ready to go and check out the Grove!!

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Why Greenwood? Is Lusco's still there?

8. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

uniformed, my dad asked the same question [​IMG]

9. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

btw, uninformed, I grew up 45 min south of there, and hope to make the jaunt through Lexington on Sunday--good times...

10. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I think the only city between there and Jackson is Yazoo City. My grandparents lived in Greenwood and I have fond memories of visiting. It has been years, though. Does Tchula have a hotel?

11. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

idk--haven't been that way in 35 yrs [​IMG]

12. robr

robr 100+ Posts

Lusco's is definitely still there.
    We're staying @ The Alluvian... anyone else?