Man what happened to Austin and Austin?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Valmy77, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

I swear ever since that fateful BC game both of them look like they have had no idea where the hell the ball is going. I almost felt bad for them, both being sent out there time and time again and having hardly any control at all.

I wonder if it was just fatigue or some sort of mechanical issue and why Skip and Augie kept sticking with them.

2. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

Boston College happened to Austin W. He was never the same after that outing. Tired arm turned to diminished confidence and he was done.

I have no clue what happened to Austin D. Maybe the whole "pressure on a freshman" thing. Hopefully he comes back stronger with the experience.

3. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Our staff should be something special next year. I really hate 2nd place but more than that I hate the college season coming to an end. [​IMG]

4. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

wood was never as spectacular as he played against BC. he's been sporadic all year long -- good, but not shut 'em down closer good.

5. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

6. IndyHorn

IndyHorn 250+ Posts

Well the damns opened up last night on Wood's watch largely due to phantom HPB calls loading the bases and forcing in the run. Once Wood was frustrated, then LSU got the base knock to drive in a couple more and seal the deal. Those calls played a huge role in momentum. I'm surely not saying we;d have won without those two HBP calls. But it would have been a tighter game where we didn't get disheartened and let LSU get away in a blow out. We'd likely have lost 7-4. That home plate ump was an *** hat all night. He seemed to squeeze us. But then again, Wood was wild as heck and when wild you don't get the corner pitches called your way.

7. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

8. IndyHorn

IndyHorn 250+ Posts

Well the Longhorns were not ripe with left-handed pitching and LSU had a number of stout left-handed hitters. I think those two factors sort of forced Augie to throw Wood out there. And to a point you just cling to the notion of dancing with who got you there.

9. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

Yeah I get that concept it was just painful seeing them go out there knowing they would be wild in such critical situations.

10. IndyHorn

IndyHorn 250+ Posts

I hear you. I prayed Green would be like Jungmann the night prior, I had zero faith in anyone out of the pen except Workman. Every game in Omaha caused heart pounding nerves in the late innings for sure.