Mandel: 'WV acting like a psychotic ex-girlfriend'

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Napoleon, Jan 22, 2008.

1. zsubnot

zsubnot 100+ Posts

From what I can tell, unless there is more there, RR will not have strong legal footing for getting out of that 4 mil bil for the school putzing around about 200k in fringe benefits. Contracts aren't like "if you violate even one little thing, the whole thing is invalid". That would obviously be rediculous.

What will happen is how long they are willing to legally posture or go to court. Basically, just based on the facts of the case that are public (IE, WVU screwed RR over some fringe benefits that totaled in value around 200k, while RR refuses to pay the 4 mil buyout), unless WVU was intentionally dicking around and trying in their darndest to now execute teh contract in good faith, RR is out a lot of money. Maybe not 4 mil, but very likely in the area of 3-3.5 mil, at least half easily. What will likely happen is, like fran, RR will owe a sizeable chunk and to save money on litigation (with 4 mill at stack, you are talking hundreds of thousands easy), they will settle for around 2-3 mil. Maybe 1 if they get a good replacement in the interim.

Anyway, both sides look scuzzy, but I'm not a big fan of RR right now

2. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

Just a little something to get everyone back on WVU's side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

OK, I will await the legal proceedings to see if RR had any right to try and avoid paying WVU the $4 million buyout. When is this going to be decided, any ideas?

4. Steinbeck

Steinbeck 250+ Posts

5. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

WV is a **** state and so is WVU, as long as those ******** keep electing a racist money wasting klansman they can go f**k themselves. WVU needs to STFU and let ol' White Power Byrd get them a big fat juicy porkorama earmark.

6. UTIceberg

UTIceberg 250+ Posts

Count me as someone who things The Univeristy of West Virgina really screwed the pooch here. I'm not giving Rodriguez a complete pass, but I think WV could have easily ensured that RR would still be their coach if they had realized what they and college football are: big time buisness.

Indeed, if you have someone that is performing for you, as someone quoted in the article, then you do whatever you can to try and make them happy. If WV didn't realize that Rodriguez was the best thing that ever happened to them, then its their own fault for being so blind and ignorant to the realities of the world.

Regarding the contract buyout, I imagine that Rodriguez will have to (and likely should, based on what is known) end up paying something, but probably not the whole ammount. But WV is beyond stupid to let this play out as public as they are doing. Do you really think any future big time coach is going to want to come anywhere near this potential future trainwreck? After all, RR departure is a perfect example of what happens if you decide to leave for a better job. All WV is doing is poisoning future potential HC's who are saying to themselves, "I'm never gonna go coach there." While it somewhat pains me to say this, the aggies did a good job of not letting whatever deal was worked out between Fran and teh school following his departure turn into a very public mess. If they did, the same thing could have happened to them that you will see happen to WV.

End of the day, both parties are partly to blame. But the one that stands to lose the most long term for this bitter increasingly public spilt is WV. Oh well, it's their decision and their consequences to deal with.

7. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

8. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts