Manny Diaz- new HC at Miami

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LHABSOB, Dec 30, 2018.

1. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I have read endless posts torching players who choose to transfer, skip bowl games or even continue to take visits after making a verbal commitment but as you can see with Diaz skipping out on Temple 2 weeks after being named their HC their isn't loyalty from coaches either. Everyone looks out for themselves.

Did any of us picture him as a HC of a P5 team after his departure from the 40 acres?

• Like Like x 1
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Here's his chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

We weren't the ones that had to be convinced. Were I in charge the guy announced as new head coach for Maryland wouldn't be allowed on campus as part of a landscaping crew. My grandpa was right when he said: "There's no accounting for taste."

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Diaz as HC has to be a sick joke. I can continue to hate the convicts and make fun of them, because this loss is likely their last bowl game for a decade.

• Hot Hot x 1
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The coaches have always had the power. Them and the guys with the blazers and those who invented the term, "Student-athlete." Well, now the "Athletes" are just getting theirs too in the only way they can; protecting themselves. We can't expect the be true to your school stuff to matter anymore. It was all mercenary anyway. They just want to be paid now.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  6. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

WOW just WOW! If Diaz goes to Miami then Miami has as much integrity as he does. A big fat 0 and Temple would be much better without him.:facepalm:

7. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I guess he could bring Major over as OC. They were here together in '11-'13.

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

EDT,

The University of Bill Cosby not only lost a really bad coach, but the convicts are paying them $4 million to keep him.

You can't make this **** up. Is any category of people in today's society dumber than college presidents & ADs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’ll reserve judgment on Diaz. Yes, he was a terrible disappointment at Texas, and yes, this is a surprise. But FWIW, I am a believer of what I like to call The Reverse Peter Principle:

That is, sometimes individuals who “do not perform at an optimum level in a lesser role,” become very proficient and successful when promoted to a position of greater responsibility.

While perhaps not the best anology, how many “great” MLB managers were very average players? Many. And most of the great players were lousy managers.

Diaz may just surprise us as HC at Miami. I wish him the best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Interesting observation ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Wow, sure didn't see this one coming. "University of Bill Cosby" may ending up benefiting from this in the long run....

Diaz and Mack squaring off should make for some interesting drama in the ACC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Thought he signed with temple

13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Well...the criminality should cease since we all know there is NO D in _iaz. And no D means no freedom from consequence in a court room :)

Yes, I know...weak sauce effort at legal humor.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Terrible fit IMO.
    In today’s landscape, in that part of the country I would go all in on offense.
    I would have looked at Hugh Freeze. I know he screwed up, but what a better fit than the U

15. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Pete Carroll was a bust with the Jets but has done well elsewhere.

Nick Saban was a disappointment in the pros but has prospered since

best wishes to Diaz; maybe he reforms the culture there. Hope springs eternal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Temple really got the shaft here.

17. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Manny vs. Mack, must see tv next year

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He’s being honest. Mark is an outstanding person. Wouldn’t surprise me if he and his wife become missionaries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Wish Diaz nothing but success... Except against us

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't think that's a shot at Mack.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Actually they may come out ahead in the long run. Sure, they lose some time in their coaching search but the Diaz buyout is live and they'll get paid an easy $4m by Miami. What follows are only my opinions but I'm not sold on Diaz as a defensive coordinator let alone a head coach. It probably has something to do with the 'then' worst defense in school history in 2012 and a 54 year old quarterback with a wooden leg running for 500 yards on us in 2013. I guess he did alright at Miami but he has always coached other people's players and has never stayed anywhere long enough to field a defense of guys he alone developed. Anyways, I'm probably just holding a grudge but I think it may come to be that Temple dodged a bullet and made some money in the process.

• Hot Hot x 1