Manziel, his backup and the aggy defense

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 2003TexasGrad, Sep 29, 2012.

1. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

A. Of course we didnt recruit Manziel, hes lighting it up as a redshirt freshman. We cant have that here at Texas.

B. His backup is in there launching it downfield, not handing it off up the middle 3 times and punting. Again, cant have that here at Texas.

C. The aggy defense (yes its Arkansas) has held them to 10 points. We gave up so many big plays against Ole Miss it really has me worried that our guys just arent focused when we get up big, or we have serious problems.

So, are these things just aberrations, or is there something more to it?

2. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

I got the Frito Pie in the bag ready for tonight. Thinking about frying up some CFS also...

3. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Oh, you must not be watching this game. Nevermind.

4. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Yes, it looks like Manziel may be a good QB for aggy but, other than Florida, they haven't played anyone that's any good (and certainly no one with a quality D). Let's revisit this issue after aggy has played some quality teams.

5. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

we probably didn't look too hard at manzel due to character deficiencies

6. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

7. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

8. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I know we'll get some guff because we don't have Manziel, who looks to have the makings of a stellar college quarterback and JW Walsh who may light it up for Okie light tonight. But you know, the guy we picked started as a TRUE freshman and have been somebody's choice for MVP of the last four games in which he has played. There's going to be a lot of good players we don't offer scholarships and if we get worked up over every one of 'em we're going to miss out on appreciating what we have.

9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Is "grad" in your signature an aberration?

10. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

11. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

Recruiting is such such a toss up. I'm glad you guys didn't recruit him at QB because he has said he wanted to go to Texas growing up.

Still, there is no way to know he would have looked this good. On the other side of things, it still amazes me how terrible Gilbert looks.

12. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

The UT depth chart has QBs as 1)Ash, 2)McCoy, 3)Brewer.

The Link

Our starting QB, one David Ash, has done the following this year:

The Link

SOPHOMORE (2012)
    Started the first three games ... ranks fourth nationally in passing efficiency (190.5 rating) ... has not thrown an interception in his last 96 passes ... completion percentage (.741) in the Wyoming game was the third highest of his career ... passed for 221 yards against New Mexico by completing 16 of 22 passes... scored a rushing TD vs. the Lobos on a career-long 49-yard run ... completed 19 of 23 passes for a career-high 326 yards and a career-best four TDs in the win over Ole Miss ... completed 15 straight passes at one point, tied for the third-best mark in school history ... his career-high passing efficiency rating of 259.06 in that game ranks third among FBS quarterbacks this season and the top mark against a BCS team ... named the Big 12 Conference Offensive Player of the Week, Davey O'Brien QB of the Week and the College Football Performance Awards National Quarterback of the Week ... also nominated for the Manning Award QB of the Week.

I'm assuming it's not suggested that we should have passed on Ash. Nor mini-Colt. Nor Brewer. And Garrett Gilbert was only the National Player of the Year his senior year in high school. I guess we should have passed on him.

Where does that leave Manziel?

At aggy, I guess. Good for him. We can't have 10 QBs on the roster.

13. Robbio

Robbio 25+ Posts

If I remember right we aggys recruited every Quarterback that you have. I don't think we won any head to head battles with you for Quarterback recruits. I do think Mike Sherman was an excellent evaluater of talent. I remember when he recruited Damontre Moore that he said, "this kid is going to play in the NFL one day. He was not generally highly regarded elsewhere. You don't have to have great recruits to win in college football. Look no farther than what Mike Leach did at TT.

14. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In case you didn't hear, Arkansas sucks ***.

Remember when VY was the starter and Colt was his backup? Ever notice the way a pendulum moves?

15. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

Ash has had a nice start to the season but I don't think any Horn fan being honest wouldn't rather have Manziel.

16. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm so pissed that we don't have Johnny Manziel and J.W. Walsh both starting in our backfield tonight.

17. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

Good lord. who has aggy played? The SEC is sorta soft this year and Arkansas is flat awful.
    LSU was losing to a team I've never heard of and Kentucky was beating SC last I checked. Ole Miss is giving Bama a better game than they gave us and it's at Alabama (and with a fake TD given to Bama).

18. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

according to this page A&M currently has the #25 toughest schedule.

19. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

and aggy got a good qb, so what. it's about time. they're going to find one every now and then.