Marcus 'Not' Smart

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Third Coast, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

shoves a fan at the end of the Red Raiders upset of Oklahoma State in Lubbock and could get suspended for the Texas game. Stay tuned.

2. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

3. georgecostanza

Link w/ videos (Bleacher Report)

The Tech fan probably said something that warranted getting his *** beat in the parking lot. If you watch the video of the Aggie game at the bottom, you can see him making an inappropriate gesture to one of the players. I'm sure we've all wanted to flip off an Ag before, some of us probably even have, but you still shouldn't do it.

I'm not outright defending Smart. Clearly he shouldn't have reacted the way he did. However, he encountered a fan that was out of control.

I think the right thing for Tech to do is to ban him from all basketball games for the same number of games that Smart is suspended from play. I think it's great that fans impact a game, but they shouldn't have a negative impact like that. The fan needs to be taught a lesson, and keeping him from attending the game altogether will hopefully send a strong enough message to get him to stop being a prick.

4. Texaholic

Texaholic 250+ Posts

That "fan" is an embarrassment to the very institution he is intending to support. Smart over-reacted to whatever was said (and for which the "fan" was already trying to apologize), but seeing the faces and gestures that same fan made to the A&M player in the other video on the Bleacher Report page gives you a pretty good view that the guy has some issues himself.

In a day when Congress is so deeply divided and dysfunctional, when places like the "Cameron crazies" are championed for their taunts, you have to wonder that as a culture a big part of us have missed out on civility and sportsmanship and respecting opponents. Ah, just my 2 cents. Hook 'em.

[​IMG]

5. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

A side note... I live in Okie state country and the locals have mostly exonerated smart for his overreaction. Basically saying his actions were justified. The assumption is automaticallly being made that an N bomb was thrown. I find that a little ironic considering the behavior of one of their fans toward one of ours 6 or so years ago. I do believe he grabbed one of our players around the neck as momentum carried him off the court. Luckily there was no retaliation. That "fan" was made into a folk hero around here... Disgusting

Does anyone remember specifics of the incident? A link or a screenshot?
    I cant find anything on google. I need to calm these people down.

6. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

I haven't seen anything definitive abt what the fan said or what he's done in the past, but the vid doesn't show him touching Smart. All sporting events have people in the stands talking **** to opponents, and the players have to ignore verbal and especially physical confrontations, particularly in bb where they're so close. Let your good play shut 'em up, and Smart is a good player.

Having court side seats, the fan is no doubt a bigtime donor. He probably won't suffer any consequences and is probably a celebrity in Lubbock. After all, it is Tech.

7. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

The fan is Jeff Orr and he is practically canonized by Texas Tech - given "superfan" status in their media guide. I'm sure in his mind he thinks he's Robin Ficker (famed heckler at Washington Bullets' games), but he seems to go overboard. If he did throw a racial slur, he needs to be booted for life - not a suspension equal to Smart's. Inexcusable.

With that said, Smart absolutely can not take that bait and needs to be suspended for a handful of games - I predict somewhere from 3 to 5.

8. georgecostanza

9. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

It's college sports, not WWE.

10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

My coaches taught us that opposing fans will do anything to get you off your game and to ignore them which we did. I actually got a nickname from a fan during a tournament where I ended up tourney MVP so it stuck. I wasn't too thrilled about the nickname but I wore it like a badge of honor.......I guess......

Players just can't react like this.

11. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I'm all for tossing overly obnoxious fans, but I don't think much could be done in a situation like this. Even with a large security presence, it would be impossible to discern everything that was said in a loud arena. It pretty much comes down to what is seen and whether provoked, or not, in this instance Smart is clearly out of control.

I think a lot of it comes down to Smart's state of mind at the time. He's been in a bad slump during OSU's losing streak and there have been a number of comments about his frustration before this incident.

12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I don't know what Orr did so I don't have enough information to decide how or if he should be punished. I've been courtside and typically there are some fans who take a lot of pride in irritating opponents and getting a reaction. Sometimes the most irritating comments are more insightful than vile, like mocking a guy who flops or whines when the refs make a very correct call.

13. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

He is suspended three games by the Big 12.
    OSU coach Ford pretty emotional in his presser on ESPN.

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

15. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

I missed the first part of the press conference – watching the golf tournament –but Smart seemed like a standup guy, taking all blame for the incident. And Orr reportedly said he will not be attending anymore tech games this season. Don't know if that was his decision or someone else's.

Apparently this is pretty much over and done with. Smart will not play in the Texas game.

16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

17. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Yessir. It'll help.

[​IMG]

18. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Your talking about when TJ Ford's momentum carried him beyond the baseline and into the crowd at OSU. He sort of bumped into a pregnant woman and her husband overreacted.

He grabs Ford around the throat. and and then Thomas and Mouton came in after the guy grabbed Ford. Thomas threw a punch but things didn't go any further fortunately. Nothing more came of it and Texas won the game.

The Link

I found the video of it. I forgot that Texas got a technical foul because a Texas player came off the bench and got involved.

19. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

you stay classy, Tech! [​IMG] If that Orr guy is a "Super fan" they may want to ban him from more games than this year

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If as is now being reported the adult fan said, " You're a piece of crap" to Smart I think the 3 game suspension is about right
    and the superfan? he is a jerk no doubt

21. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

22. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

If manners has to be explained to anyone, it's a lost cause from the start.
    If common sense, ie., good sense, has to be philosophized to anyone, it's a lost cause.
    If ethics has to be described and justified to anyone, it's a losing proposition.

If fans can't grasp that sportmanship is expected from them the same as from players, it's a no-win scenario.

If a human can't just "get it" from within their heart and soul... well, that's what reincarnation is for.
    You will have another turn. And another. And another.

Life goes on.

Practically speaking, I would disallow fans from seats in the lower rows if they show they can't handle responsibility of good sportsmanship. This fan should not get seats down low anymore.

If taunting is okay and part of the game, then why is it not allowed at PGA events?
    Why is it not allowed at Olympic gymnastic events? Ice skating?

Why not allow catcalls at weddings? "You piece of dirt. You're marrying him?!"

The code is always this: Hey, it's cool to act ******. It's smart, hip.

Beam me up, Scotty.

23. tejas77

tejas77 1,000+ Posts

Funny, I forgot about the TJ Ford issue until yall mentioned it and I was watching the game when it happened. Looking at that video link, you can see another OSU fan try and kick the other Texas player.

My opinion only here but when a fan attacks a visiting player, his or her teammates should be able to come to their rescue without any retribution. That was clearly an attack on TJ. If you don't want your wife to get accidentally hit, sit higher up. Even Sutton looked disgusted with what happened.

Smart screwed up since they were only "words" but I agree maybe the fan should be suspended and their tickets made invalid so they can't sell them to someone else the same length of time.

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

25. Win

Win 100+ Posts

26. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The PGA also calls for absolute quiet during strokes by a player. I guess we should call for complete quiet during the play of all other sports too.

If anybody ever played much baseball then you know what a "bench jockey" is and has heard all kinds of things. I know I did. It was expected and yes part of the game. In fact, Bib Faulk, even earned the nickname "Jockey" for his ragging on opposing players. It is definately part of baseball and always has been since even before Bib's playing days to the present. The talk that goes on during football and basketball games between players I don't think even needs to be addressed. It's not always very civil.

Most sports are not as sanitary as golf, tennis, (sans McEnroe) and ice skating either between players or fans.

There is a big difference between ragging and actual physical violence. If anybody is that thin skinned then maybe they should try to make it on the PGA tour or ice skating because it is part of most sports.

Did we even mention hockey or what about soccer where people actually kill each other?