Marfa?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Horny Ringman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Anybody been out to Marfa/Big Bend Area lately? Wife wants to take a road trip. it's been 10 years since we went last. i know it has gotten a lot more artsy and hip recently.

2. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Eve's Garden in Marathon is very cool. We went to the dude's compound in Marfa 2 months ago. Very boring for this guy. We didn't go to the part outside of Marfa. I could look it up, but you probably know what I'm typing about.

West Texas means driving 70 minutes for dinner sometimes, but West Textures are for the geology and feeling like your foibles are pretty insignificant compared to the earth moving in obvious yet crazy patterns over millions of years. Marathon is where I will go back to some day. Not Marfa and not Alpine.

FWIW, my geologist godfather (episocopalian, not sicilian) told me that both the Rockies and the Appalachians spring up in West Texas.

3. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

www.elcosmico.com/

Check out this place in Marfa. Owned, designed and built by folks from Austin.

4. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Yeah, have seen El cosmico in magazines. Too bad she didn't open a "jo's" coffee out there.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Your wife may want to buy shoes at the Marfa Prada location.

Marfa's Prada

6. Puffer

Puffer 250+ Posts

in Marfa, eat at Mondo's

7. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

There is a great "gormet" lunch wagon at the market for lunch.

8. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Donald Judd is the guy I was thinking of who had the compound in Marfa and another place nearby.

The Grady Spears place is either Rialto or Reata in Alpine and its pretty good. There is a hotel about 75 yards west from the square in Marfa that is supposed to be good for food and lodging. The crazy lunch bus (referenced above) about 50 more yards toward Mexico that has a big crowd around it. Kinda like a farmer's market looking place. BIG shed-like deal on their main street. The crowd looked like a South Congress crowd.

Other than the Grady Spears place in Marfa or the Gage, it's not really known for food. The West Texas area, that is. Scenery is their main gig.
    The Link

The dude is doing some cool construction with innovative techniques. If that looks good to you and you want to stay there, I can give you some intel on the very interesting owners.