Martha Coakley

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by matt8209, Jan 16, 2010.

1. matt8209

matt8209 100+ Posts

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Curt respondedThe Link
    "I’ve been called a LOT of things… 01.16.10 at 1:06 am ET

By Curt Schilling
    But never, and I mean never, could anyone ever make the mistake of calling me a Yankee fan. Well, check that, if you didn’t know what the hell is going on in your own state maybe you could…."

Martha and Dems have really run a sorry race, from calling Curt a Yankke to dissing Fenway Park to not spelling the name of her own state correctly to using an image of the WTC in ad against Brown to saying there are no terrorists in Afghanistan etc etc

Is she the best the Dems had OR did they think it was an automatic, that a Dem would win the " Kennedy seat"?

3. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

How would that affect a Senate vote?

Why should I care that she isn't a baseball nut?

By this standard, how do Sarah Palin, Woodrow Wilson, or Adlai Stevenson rank?

4. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Get a life.

5. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Roma I don't think anyone cares if she likes baseball, but if Kay Baily said Tony Romo played for the Redskins most of us would think what an idiot. Hillary was smart enough to put on a Yankee cap, Coakley is not so bright. Didn't Shilling contemplate running for office, you would think she would have a clue just from that. We have enough morons up their lets get a few that have a clue.

6. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

This is more a statement about the electorate than the candidate.

7. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Roma, had she gotten it right, the purpose would have been to make voters feel that she is "in touch". The voters didn't ask her to know about or care about their spots figures. She injected it, and showed herself to be a phony. It deserves to be ridiculed.

I don't think anyone's said her not knowing anything about Curt Schilling makes her unqualified to run for senate.

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

10. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Burn her, she's a witch. Please keep me informed of other sports gaffes made in any region of the country. I now see that she is ridiculous, not the original notion of posting this nothing story on a Texas board.

I don't know anything about her, she may be an idiot. She may not be the best candidate for the people of Mass. This little story proves little, but it's the one that makes it half way across the country for discussion among people who aren't voting in her election.

Thanks for providing the insight. I can now take my place among the informed electorate of a great republic.

11. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

12. matt8209

matt8209 100+ Posts

The people of MA will take care of the burning Tuesday night.

13. ShinerChE

ShinerChE 250+ Posts

Well I think it is obvious she is a disaster of a candidate since the Dems may lose that Senate seat. Name one person who thought that would ever happen. Mass. does not have a single non-Dem member of the House or Senate.

14. PhantomHorn

PhantomHorn 1,000+ Posts

Roma is missing the whole point.

15. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

No doubt.

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"Get a life. "
    says the poster who posted twice an many posts here as the OP and nearly 30% of all posts in this thread

17. texascoder

texascoder 1,000+ Posts

18. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Roma,
    I am more concerned about her saying there are no terrorists in Afghanistan, and that Catholics shouldn't work in ERs. How about the fact that the Senate is about to do serious damage with a health bill that the majority of Americans oppose, and that is about the most crooked piece of legislation to pass in the last 50 years?
    Do those things count? Add that to the fact that he has to make an inane comment about popular culture, when she is just talking out her ***. It seems like a pattern rather than an isolated 'gaffe.'
    Btw. I am so sad the Aggies QB, Colt McCoy got hurt in the National Title game. It really is too bad, because those Aggies might have won with him.

19. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

Vince Young is just an ignorant Sooner.

20. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

21. Lake_Travis_Horn

Lake_Travis_Horn 500+ Posts

Using reconciliation would be a dangerous escalation of partisan rivalry, and would be very unfortunate for the country. Congress is divisive enough already, and that would make it much worse.

I also believe that if Coakley loses, every Democrat in Congress that wants to be relected will reconsider whether they want to walk the plank that Reid and Pelosi are pushing them out on, so even 51 votes may be tough to get in the Senate.

22. PhantomHorn

PhantomHorn 1,000+ Posts

This is like the indians(Obama) hearding buffalo(Dems) over the cliff. Then he has nothing left to work with in 2011 but a Republican Congress.

It certainly isn't the bahavior of a president who is interested in getting re-elected.

23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Phantom
    I disagree>"It certainly isn't the bahavior of a president who is interested in getting re-elected."

I think obama's ego is writing checks he thinks the American people will always cash for him.

24. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

25. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

26. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

27. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

28. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

29. bronco

bronco Guest

An aside to all of this is that perhaps all of the scrutiny on Coakley will force someone/anyone to examine the Mass health care plan.

Certainly it is not an identical plan to what the dems are proposing but it has a lot of similarities. One of the biggest being costs.

Mass said the plan would "pay for itself" as a result of:
    1) A focus on preventive/primary care would eliminate high cost services in the ER
    2) Utilizing "high tech" tertiary care
    3) Eliminating waste
    4) Eliminating excessive insurance company profits (the proponents of the plan predicted SAVINGS of around $10 B annually)

Sound familiar? Almost verbatim what BO said will make this national plan cost effective.

The results in Mass? A failure more massive than even the critics predicted. Mass still has hundreds of thousands uninsured. Costs have skyrocketed. The program is underfunded by BILLIONS of dollars. Reimbursements to physiscians and hospitals are being slashed. Providers have left the state and wait times are way higher than the national average.

Basically, almost everything people on here that oppose the national plan (not any plan..just this one) say will occur is in fact occuring in Mass. It is insanity not to recognize this.

30. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

Roma: The Schilling comment is absolutely relevant to the discussion. It is further evidence of Coakley's being an confirmed elitest. You might remember 2004, but you damn sure would if you were in Mass in October 2004. Regardless of if you are a baseball fan, no human who bothered watching the news could have avoided the constant lovefest for Curt Schilling from the Boston media. I DO expect politicians to keep up with the local news and what is important to the constituents - regardless of the relative "importance" of the event. His name was everywhere after the bloody sock game and she almost would have had to go out of her way to avoid it. Worse, nobody questioned her about this - she is the one who accused Schilling of being a Yankees fan to generate some "everyman" street cred.

Follow that up with her comment that Roman Cathoilics should not be allowed to work in emergency rooms. If a Republican said that a Muslim should not be allowed to work airport security how would you have responded to that Roma?!?!? I know damn well how you would have responded to it as do you.

What about Martha's little tidbit where the media dared asked her if she should have, you know, actually campaigned? She scoffed at Brown and asked sarcastically if they expected her to actually go out into the cold outside of Fenway Park and shake hands?!? You dare say!

She is an elitest who is out of touch and shocked that she wasn't handed this seat like Beacon Hill told her she would be.