Mason to bench, Johnson to start

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by TexHorn06, Dec 31, 2007.

1. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

2. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

I stand corrected. Really didn't think Barnes would make this switch right away. Hopefully it will work out.

3. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with a new alignment. I heard Barnes say about a month ago that they were having James and Johnson defend against guards, so you can't say that they haven't been preparing for this...

4. TexHorn06

TexHorn06 25+ Posts

I would like to think our 2-3 just became a lot tougher, with Johnson's athleticism it will be a solid back line of Johnson - Atchley - James. When Mason comes in to spell the guards, it'll add height to the top of the zone, which is much needed.

5. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

alright alright alright. [​IMG]

6. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

It doesn't matter that this is Johnson's first game. We could no longer afford going ridiculously small with Augustin, Abrams, and Mason. Johnson's presence makes us better defensively by default. Mason is totally lost on the offensive side.

7. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

this will only help mason to step up his game

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

Great idea.

The only other thing I'd maybe rather see is AJ on the bench (with Mason starting) but still getting 28-32 minutes a game, but making the other team respond.

Really probably just 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of another.

Looking forward to having a 6.5 or 7 man deep team instead of 5.5.

9. longhornmatt

longhornmatt 25+ Posts

There was a time when I thought Mason starting and Abrams coming off the bench would be a good idea. That time has passed for me. AJ is a better player on offense this year and Mason ... is not. Johnson and James can both defend the wing, so I think we have enough defense without Mason.

I am a big fan of the new lineup. The only problem is that James and Johnson might kill each other going for rebounds.

10. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

What longhornmatt said. [​IMG]

11. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

wow. quick trigger. should've waited till the bowl game.

12. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

Mason needs to get his head right and being the 6th man may just help.

13. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Amazing call by Barnes...thank you God. If we had football coaches like this we would be in the BCS easily.

14. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

wow..

cool, lets see what happens

15. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

16. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

17. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

If Barnes is starting him right off the bat, he must be ready.

18. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Texas will need some quality minutes from Mason. Hopefully he bounces back from his current slump. It will be geat to see Johnson get some action too.

19. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

I wanted him to come off the bench for his 1st game for a stupid reason: I would love to hear the crowd cheer when he checked in the game.

20. MNLonghorn10

MNLonghorn10 < 25 Posts

Smart move by Barnes.

Masons been playing like crap. Plus we need the size

21. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

My guess is Mason's game is going to improve, and this will make our bench better and deeper.

Go Horns!

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

22. Win

Win 100+ Posts

It makes sense to give us more of a "standard" line-up from a size stand point and also, I think Mason backs up DJ at PG at this point so the 3 guards can rotate in being more fresh. Hopefully JD can step his game in to give a few minutes too.

Even though Mason hadn't contributed that much scoring wise, he was doing all the intangibles, playing tough D, rebounding, etc... to contribute to the team.

23. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

24. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

Happy to hear, I think this will help alot, especially during B12 play inside..I think being so small was one of the problems late in the 2nd half against WI.

25. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

I really like this idea. I love Mason and I think he will spark things coming off the bench. I'm expecting 6th Man of the Year type stuff for the kid.