Mattresses

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by valencia, Jun 22, 2012.

1. valencia

valencia 100+ Posts

Am in the market for a new mattress and would appreciate advise and suggestions on purchasing a new one.

Thanks

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I have been looking into a Sleep Number bed for purchase maybe next year. My mattress is still good, just preparing. They are costly but to me seems the way to go. I also gave Tempurpedic a look but am afraid I will get too hot in it and I don't like laying in sweat.

I got over the sticker shock on mattresses by simply averaging the cost out over the time I would have it. They are all overpriced so wait for specials and deals.

I hope somebody who knows about them chimes in with more than what I have.

3. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

We have one of those Sealys with the Tempurpedic top, a layer of 4 inches on top of a regular matress. We love it. Wake up with less aches and pains, and in fact hardly move at all during the night. As far as sleeping warmer, I just throw off the comforter, and sleep with a sheet and light blanket. The hard part is getting the right fitted sheets, since they need an extra deep pocket. I would buy one again when we need a new mattress, well worth the bucks. And as l00p said, just watch for specials.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

lostman, are you not heated from the bottom (of the bed)? Don't you sweat at the contact areas of the foam or does simply using less cover on top do the trick? I sleep warm as is and am afraid it would just compound it more. Very warm blooded.

And thank you for the instruction that they are called pockets and not corners with the seam as I refer to them. I did not know what a Sham or Duvee was until my late 20's. I am sure there are other technical names to bed parts I don't know of so keep 'em coming.

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I am okay with the heat of my memory foam although I live in the Midwest where there are real winters. And during the summer, I would be happier if the bed was cooler. It isn't a big deal though.

My problem with the memory foam, which I love, is that I always sleep in the same spot. After a short time period, that spot becomes a depression in the bed. Now if I wanted to sleep in a new spot, I couldn't as I would simply roll into the depression.

6. valencia

valencia 100+ Posts

The sleep number bed has a bar which runs down the middle of the bed. This can be a problem is one sleeps on more than his side.

7. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Heard some people love their sleep number bed. We have a latex mattress bed with a memory foam top. Never have slept on a better bed. Even if I'm at a nice hotel, I cannot wait to get home to my bed.

8. Ok_Longhorn

Ok_Longhorn 25+ Posts

I second the latex beds. Less heat for sure. Also, something else to think about is that the memory foam bed you'll sink into. Can make some activities a bit harder to accomplish.

9. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

You can just get a Liberator and forget the fort. That's what it's for, right?

11. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

A Liberator? Is that some sort of missile defense system or something? I just need something to keep me comfortable at night. Blankets and pillows have been sufficient for me over the years. Is there something I'm missing?

We are talking about protecting ourselves from monsters under the bed, right?

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts