Matt's El Rancho

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by LonghornGirlie, Feb 1, 2000.

1. chance johnson

chance johnson 100+ Posts

Anyone like El sol y la luna? That means the sun and the moon, btw.

2. SARocks

SARocks < 25 Posts

I am amazed that El Azteca is still around.
    More people should take the hour drive down to San Antonio. It is hard to believe that there is more discussion about Mexican food in Ft. Worth than there is about Mexican food in San Antonio.

3. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

my favorite mexican restaurants in SA: la fogata, mi tierra, and mario's off fredricksburg.

in austin, i don't understand why people (at least at hornfans) either love or hate matt's. personally, i really like matt's. it's good traditional tex-mex. if i want mexican cuisine, i'll go to fonda. if i want trendy tex-mex, i'll go to chuy's. if i want traditional tex-mex, i'll go to matt's or maudies or nuevo leon.

one of my favorites at matt's is their chile relleno. i haven't been to matt's since last football season though.

anyway, i can understand why people would hate the chains like pappasitos, but matts??? the service there has always been excellent for me.

Texas97

4. SARocks

SARocks < 25 Posts

I went to Matt's once, a long time ago. It was OK, but they used a lot of ground beef. I am never impressed by any Mexican restaurant that uses ground beef. Someone who has been there more recently will have to tell me if that is still the case.

SA has so many good Mexican restaurants, I think we often lock in on those that are close to where we work and live. Nothing wrong with that as they are all good. I am more east in SA, so my favorites are La Calesa and La Paloma Blanca. If I am downtown, its going to be Rosario's. I also like Blanco Cafe, but I can't get my wife to go there. The really sad thing is that there are probably two or three more great one's only 5 minutes from my house that we just never seem to have the time to get to.

5. HORN_FAN_86

HORN_FAN_86 100+ Posts

First, try being stuck out of state for years where you can get no good tex-mex. That said, I prefer Matt's in Dallas. The Chili Releno is the best by far. My only issue is that when I get to Dallas on holidays to visit the parents, Matt's closes for a big chunk of Christmas time.

Saw something funny this weekend. We were in Luxemboug for the weekend on a picturesque townsquare there was a Chi Chi's tex mex restaurant.

6. Texas Horn

Texas Horn 250+ Posts

next time you're in dallas, go to El Fenix.

7. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

was in dallas this past weekend to visit some friends and went to saturday's rangers/blue jays game (arod had 3 homers).. had dinner at matt's rancho martinez in dallas. never been before. good lunch. much smaller than the one in austin but that might be a good thing. i had the chile relleno and it was very good.

it was off the beaten path some but i didn't want to go to papasitos...

Texas97

8. GoHrnz

GoHrnz < 25 Posts

Currently my favorite is Jardin Corona. The best one by far is the one in Cedar Park. Good Salsa, Good food and lots of it for the price. Try the Pechuga Jardin Corona or the Pechuga Encebollada or even the Pechuga Endiablado. These are my Favorites.

9. 74Raider

74Raider First Time Poster

JudgeSmayles, I registered solely to respond to your post. Joe T's is very good, but in my opinion the best mexican food in the metroplex is Benito's. Give it a try if you havn't already. It is on Magnolia and Fairmount south of downtown Ft. Worth.

10. LonghorntheBODY

LonghorntheBODY < 25 Posts

Matt's El Rancho is a sell out!! Reminds me of the Mexican food that you find deep in the heart of Georgia or South Carolina. I never will step foot in Matt's again. I rate it below El Chico and Poncho's.

11. D_Wreck11

D_Wreck11 250+ Posts

I've eaten there--at Jardin's--but I find it discomforting knowing that the floor is always filthy as all hell. Makes you wonder what the kitchen's like.

12. horn4life98

horn4life98 < 25 Posts

Matt's is phenominal (sp?) Anyway, the place is great.

13. Horn21

Horn21 25+ Posts

14. LonghorntheBODY

LonghorntheBODY < 25 Posts

Your right Horn21, they have great sopapillas!!!!!!

15. DelRioHorn

DelRioHorn 25+ Posts

From the "Above the river, cheap and good/tasty" department:

Amaya's Taco Village

Packed by locals and long-timers, recently expanded, pretty good little secret if people have mentioned A La Carrera on 183 North but omitted Amaya's.

16. jumanji

jumanji 25+ Posts

texican cafe on 1626 in south austin is the best mexican food in austin. serrano's has gotten better. enchiladas y mas is between ok and good. las manitas is good. gharibaldi's is ok, and that's about it.

17. horn4life

horn4life 500+ Posts

I have NEVER been impressed with Matt's either the old or new location.

You want Matt's type atmosphere with VASTLY better margarita's and better food go to Nuevo Leon. (plus you get to hear me sing the Eyes after UT football games!)

You want to go to a small 'joint" go to Angies or Dario's.

Maudies is also good but don't get down South much anymore.

18. TexasSun

TexasSun 25+ Posts

Haven't been to Matt's yet, but I can vouch for Nuevo Leon. Definitely one of the best in Austin.

19. horn4life

horn4life 500+ Posts

rtchorn- I was a regular since about a year after Nuevo Leon opened. I have to admit that I sort of miss the old place. I really miss being able to walk up with my family and get the next available table to the chagrin of those waiting in the craped front area.

There biggest problem was the Landlord was an A-hole. If you went much in Summer you got to sweat your *** off at least once a summer when the AC was out.

I miss the old place as "joints" are always the best. The new place isn't as warm without a doubt but they are starting to get it down now in the new location.

I will alwasy go to the place for a couple of reasons. Namely they are like family to me, I can nearly always get a drink or service with a nod and they have THE best frozen margarita in all of Austin, and perhaps anywhere else... [​IMG]

It was the first place either of my daughters went. With my first it was two weeks to the day![​IMG][​IMG]

20. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Ahem, gentlepersons, how about Cisco's on East 6th? Open for breakfast and lunch. Get either the migas and fajitas or the Cisco Special (for lunch). And if you are especially hungry, also order a picodillo. Fresh baked roll stuffed with taco meat. Their food kicks my *** every time.

Also, a lot of UT celebs hang out there. The boys and I were checking out this MILF, when they get up to leave and it's Ben Crenshaw, his wife and kids.

They have beers, too.

21. Drunk_Horn

Drunk_Horn < 25 Posts

22. texmex_horn

texmex_horn < 25 Posts

I just want to jump in here and give my support for the east Austin establishments. Nuevo Leon, El Azteca, Joe's etc....

I refuse to give Matt's El Rancho my business. The food and service is very sub-par.

23. rufguy

rufguy < 25 Posts

yeeech! Bad food! i heard alot more bad things about this restaraunt than anything good about it. There are a bunch of restaraunts in Austin with better food, better prices, and better atmosphere.

24. Hornmatic

Hornmatic 100+ Posts

This is one old *** thread.

25. phage

phage < 25 Posts

Terrible, terrible place. I think I'd rather hit the cabana than Matt's El Rauncho. Try Juan in a Million, Chuy's, or Curra's for good food... that costs about half as much.

26. capitan

capitan 25+ Posts

i am not a big fan but i **** you not, they just opened one up in Jefferson, Texas

27. mudboy

mudboy 250+ Posts

i will say that nothing stretches my dollar farther that going to the matt's at the airport.[​IMG]

28. copenhagen

copenhagen 25+ Posts

DARIO'S!!!!!! It simply cannot be topped. [​IMG]

29. Mizzou415

Mizzou415 100+ Posts

I love the breakfast at the airport Salt Lick. It's greatness.

30. jdoggUT

jdoggUT 25+ Posts

Gueros is my favorite.