Mavericks

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by bystander, Jan 19, 2019.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm a Metro-plex sports kind of guy having lived there from 1982 - 1994. As such, I'm a Mavericks loyalist.

Anyone watching the Dennis Smith Jr. saga? Seems as if he is so unhappy about Luka taking over the primary point position that he is now not playing and possibly causing internal problems. The grumpy old man side of me say's suspend him but I know you can't beat these guys because they assume they are always correct until they finally grow up (see Kyrie Irving). I'm not sure the situation can be salvaged but it is clear that Luka is going to be a superstar and Dennis will be a very good player. Hopefully they can trade him for more than a box of rocks because I just don't think he has the mind-set to defer to Luka.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Smith cannot accept the fact that Luka is playing on a higher level than Smith at this time. Carlisle seems to be saying the right things, but very few people really know what is actually going on (other than the player getting what appears to be questionable advice from his agent). It doesn't look like the Mavericks will get anywhere near real value for Smith, so I suspect the agent is telling him to make an a** of himself so the Mavs will just give him away. (Who knows the unbalanced owner who either traded away or let go a championship team just might let him go.)

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, I didn't respond to this but BIG NEWS! Smith to the Knicks for the Unicorn!

• Like Like x 1
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Lunicornka!

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cuban will screw it up just like he screwed up a Championship team.

6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

oh no. lol i remember that convo.

7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Now they dump Harrison Barnes for a 50-year-old Zach Randolph and Justin Jackson. If I were an impartial observer, I might think that the Mavs were trying to build a new arena like the baseball team across town. Tank everything and start over, I guess.

I honestly don't mind it. Luka and Porzingis are obviously the future... but there ain't one free agent that comes to mind who would be willing to go to Dallas and be the third guy.

8. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Not a Mavs fan - but you gotta start building somewhere, and Luka and Porzingis is a pretty great start.

• Like Like x 2
  9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Trading Barnes wasn't about tanking this year, as much as setting up cap space for this summer. Porzingas trade took up their meaningful cap space.

Bummed though as Barnes is a great guy. But he's not worth his $25M+ and they need a back court shooter or a real center this summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It was a great gesture, although also a bit amusing, as Dirk hasn't actually announced he's going to retire.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The alleged attack happening just a few hours after he tore his ACL sure sounds fishy to me.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

makes it harder to recruit top tier FAs until it's resolved.