Maybe already been posted, but Tech needs to win

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stevedallas, Nov 9, 2008.

1. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

Seems to me that the only way we go to MNC iis as the second-place team.

If OU beats Tech and wins out, we have a 3-way tie and we don't go.

If OU beats tech and loses to OSU, we are tied with Tech and we don't go.

But, if Tech wins out, OU drops below us, then Bama loses a game and they drop.....we have to worry about FLA, but if Tech wins out OR loses in the Big 12 CG, then we are perhaps a number and play Fla or Tech....

Course, I could be way off......

2. homerwight

homerwight 100+ Posts

What do you mean, "if OU drops below us". They already are below us.

3. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

I think that everyone should be more concerned about ending up in the Cotton Bowl as opposed to winding up in Miami. Another OU loss means they are OUT of contention for ANYTHING. The chances of that happening are much greater than Texas losing another game. At this point while I think it would be great to get to Miami, I'd be thrilled with a BCS bowl.

So for that reason, I'm with you...Tech needs to beat OU.

4. jamaebarrow

jamaebarrow 100+ Posts

Cincinatti being ranked ads to OU's strength of schedule.

5. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

OU is not below us in all polls....and if they beat Tech, they will be above us

6. i want tech to win out. (ou will be out of the picture)
    i want florida to lose one more game before their conf. championship. preferably to fsu.
    florida destroys bama in the sec title game. (enough to put Texas back over bama POSSIBLY)..
    bama losing the iron bowl is nice too.

Texas gets their rematch with Tech in the Orange Bowl if we can get past KU and aTm

7. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Alabama or Florida will win the SEC champ game and likely go to MNC game. So if Tech wins out they would also go the MNC game.

Texas NEEDS to go to the Big 12 game IMO to go to the MNC game. And they do this only if Tech loses to OU.

8. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

Unless the Big 12 South Champ trips up in the championship game.

It's happened many times before and then we slide on in to Miami.

[​IMG]

9. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

that is possible too. But this year there are just so many good teams that I am not sure the pollsters won't vote their conscience that last vote knowing that they could put a team that didn't even win their conference go to a BCS title game.

10. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

11. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

to the original post.... I began thinking the same way today.

Maybe the best "odds" for the Longhorns is for Alabama to fall and for Texas Tech to win out in resounding fashion and wind up 13-0 with the fact looming that TEXAS' only loss was with a comeback TD with 1 sec left on the clock -- in a game in which Mr. Main Man Cosby was out after first touching the ball.

It may end up that's the game that makes sense. Horns and Tech on a neutral field. Everyone healthy.

12. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

Whichever team (OU or Tech) wins, and then presumably wins the B12 Championship game, will go to the Fiesta or the national championship game if they are ranked #1 or #2 in the final BCS standings. That leaves one at-large BCS berth for the Big 12, which Texas should be a leading candidate for.

If OU loses to Tech, they will have 2 losses and be out of the BCS bowl picture. If OU beats Tech, then it comes down to whether the BCS bowl committee wants to give the at-large berth to the Red Raiders or to the Longhorns. The at-large berth does NOT automatically go to the higher ranked team, so even if Tech is ranked #4 and Texas is ranked #5 in the final BCS standings, Texas could still go over Tech. It would be up to the committee to decide who they prefer, and one would think/hope that the Horns' larger fan base would be more attractive to the BCS money people.

Of course, if the Fiesta Bowl were to lose OU to the national championship game in Miami, their bowl committee might figure that the Red Raiders' west Texas location (shorter distance) and Harrell-Crabtree Heisman candidate duo is enough to offset the larger Longhorn fan base. Who knows.

But if the Fiesta (or other BCS bowl) were to give an at-large invite to a one-loss Texas over a higher-ranked one-loss Tech team, I could see Leach going AAARGH!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe that would be the straw that breaks the pirate's back and makes him upset enough to leave Lubbock at the end of this season. Then again, maybe somehow Mizzou pulls off the upset in the B12 championship game and gets the automatic BCS berth. A lot of crazy things can still (and probably will) happen.

13. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

Assuming we win every game we play in the next 4 weeks, if Tech loses we go to the NCG. If Tech wins out we go to the Fiesta Bowl.

I think the odds of a Tech-Texas NCG is so small at this point it isn't worth discussing.

14. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

All I know is ou will crush tech. After that who knows what will happen. I can hope to gain some ground in the bcs assuming we win with ou/tech off this week and hope that is enough to stay ahead of ou in the standings after they beat tech.

15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I was wondering the same thing. If Tech wins out, it becomes a Tex v Fla grudge match in the rankings.

Would they jump Fla. above us for that win?

16. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

17. SL_Horn

SL_Horn 25+ Posts

18. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

"I think the odds of a Tech-Texas NCG is so small at this point it isn't worth discussing."

Really? 10 weeks ago, I thought the odds of Texas being 9-1 and spending 3 weeks at No. 1 were so small it was not worth discussing.

How did that work out?

19. jdelatorre

jdelatorre 500+ Posts

Another loss for Ala, Fla and USC makes Texas a very likely top 2 BCS team if OU is out out of the picture.

20. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

Why is everybody assuming Mizzu loses the CCG? At Arrowhead? At Night? In sub-zero temps?