Mayweather VS Hatton

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Mike_Tyson, Dec 3, 2007.

1. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

HBO's scorecard was a joke. In fact, every other news outlet had the fight with Hatton winning one or two rounds, as it should have been. The only rounds Hatton won were the ones PBF took off. The fight was not close and Hatton could have fought for 10 years and never landed a punch worth anything. PBF's speed was way too much.

I think Hatton was somewhat joking after the fight, because if he wasn't then he is an idiot. There is no way anyone would want to see a rematch. PBF would have a 3 or 4 round knockout if they fought again.

2. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

yeah, I said during the fight "Is Lederman watching the same fight we are?"

to Lampley's credit, he did point out after the fight how the judges completely disagreed with Lederman and went on to defend the judges somewhat. Not hard to defend the obvious, but whatever

3. iiiisofTX

iiiisofTX 25+ Posts

Floyd put on a classic dismantling of a fighter last night. Hatton only could have won round 1, 3 and 6 (i think). Rounds 1 and 3 were close but Hatton had better finishes so maybe he could have won those. Round 6 or 7 was Hatton's because Floyd took the round off. It really looked like Floyd had the fight figured out then because it was total domination after that. One of the rounds later Hatton didn't even land a jab.

Hatton was asked by Larry Merchant "It may be tough from this position to answer this but...." Hatton responded "It much better from this position than from me back." That was great.

4. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

I think Ricky Hatton just set a new standard for the boxing cliche of "stiff opposition".

So that was a fun fight to watch, and a great reminder of why fights are usually described as "promotions".

Look, Hatton punches hard, has a good chin, and came to fight in great shape. He's not a tomato can or an overhyped club fighter He kicked Jose Luis Castillo's *** (although Castillo hasn't been the same since the Castillo/Corrales #1.

Hatton won a couple of rounds and made the mistake of getting out in the open with Mayweather. Hatton's trainer should never have let him get more than about two and a half feet off the ropes. When he did, Mayweather's reach and speed were too much. In about the 7th round Hatton got hit with a couple of hard shots and Mayweather saw what we was going to do, and spent the next three rounds setting him up. Hatton's a champion. But Mayweather is a historically great boxer in the same class of and a throwback to the great 1970's triumvirate of Leonard, Hearns, and Duran. Sugar Ray Robinson would have wiped the floor with him, but that's about it.

The fact is the Welterweight division is consistently the best division in Boxing, and fights (and events) like last night remind us of what makes the sport so great, and so very much better than UFC, etc.

5. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

6. bozo_casanova

7. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Exactly bozo...Mayweather & Hatton played their roles perfectly. When the show comes to an end though they have to face off in the ring. I am sure Hatton really thought he has a chance. However, most of us knew it was going to be lights out for him.

It was an excellent show that made both of them some money and gave all of us some very good entertainment.

8. BigOrange

BigOrange 100+ Posts

9. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

It might feel that way but most big fights do not end up in controversy. The last Mosley-De La Hoya fight did but on the grand scale, it rarely happens.

Roger Mayweather's 2-year-old son stole the show on HBO. That kid was born a boxer; I've never seen a little kid move the way he did. It's instinct.

10. bozo_casanova

11. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

I really think Oscar De La Hoya is going to be the savior of boxing. Golden Boy Production is going to change boxing over the next few years. It is because of him that we are starting to get these HUGE fights. Boxers trust him and those working with him (Hopkins, etc...).

The days of Don King are soon over and then maybe we can see some unification bouts that bring one title in each division.

Yes, the old guard will go kicking and screaming but I think GBP has the money and clout to really do some good.

12. BigOrange

BigOrange 100+ Posts

i'd really like to see de la hoya fight cotto around next cinco de mayo. i think that could be the next great boxing promotion.

the next great fight will be pacquiao-marquez 2, but unfortunately, very few people even know who they are.

13. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

The next great fight is Pavlik-Taylor 2 (Feb) because fight 1 was awesome! It's PPV. I don't think Taylor is worth PPV...but Pavlik is. That guy is a killer; good chin and a crushing puncher.

14. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

15. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

Macanudo vs. Whataburger #2.

16. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

17. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

Agreed Golden Boy Promotions is changing the boxing landscape. The days of Don King ripping fighters like Tyson are over. De la Hoya is also credited with the Ring Magazine belt, which I believe will be used in the next 5 years as the true championship belt. It's been hard getting rid of the sanctions champions(WBC, WBO, etc) but it will happen soon. Rumor is Oscar will fight Cotto in May for his annual Cinco de mayo fight at Dodger Stadium, assuming Mayweather doesn't agree to fight him, and then Oscar will go out with a bang in fighting Manny Pacman in September.

18. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

19. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

milkmonitor, here is the link. Apparantly Manny walks around at the welterweight limit so the fight would probably take place at 147. Article says Manny would have to beat Marquez and then the lightweight champ David Diaz before the fight would be signed. I see no reason why he doesn't win those 2 fights. Bring it on and war pacman!!
    The Link

20. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

I doubt DLH and PFB fight again. I don't think they could bring the big money again. Would they get a lot of buys? Sure, but nothing like last time. The fight would do the same way. PBF would just pick DLH off but never hurt him. DLH would just miss PBF the whole fight.

DLH will get Cotto. If Cotto wins then the pressure for a PBF fight would grow. I kinda feel DLH would beat Cotto though.

Another interesting player in the promotion game is PBF. Mayweather promotions could be interesting as well.

21. BigOrange

BigOrange 100+ Posts

i will lose all respect i had left for de la hoya should he fight pacquiao. pac man is dominant at 130 and 135, but 147? are you ******* kidding me?? maybe oscar should go up in weight and fight antonio tarver instead.

22. blh111

blh111 < 25 Posts

Cotto should fight Paul Williams.

23. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

Nobody wants a piece of Paul Williams right now. He's so dangerous with his high punch rate and long arms and he doesn't have a big enough name right now to draw the $$ for someone like Floyd or Cotto to fight considering the challenge and danger he presents.

24. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

dlh should fight Pavlik.

25. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Isn't Williams 6' 2" or something like that? In that class his reach would be incredible.

I would pay to see a DLH v Pavlik fight. DLH would get knocked out though.

26. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Maybe Mayweather vs Mosely? Or Mayweather vs George St. Pierre.

27. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

How bout a doubleheader of Mayweather vs. GSP and De la hoya vs. Anderson Silva. I'd buy it.

28. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Mayweather would destroy Mosley, although I would like to see that fight. Still not a big enough payday for PBF in that matchup.

PBF v GSP, I would watch, but the money would have to be HUGE for PBF to consider it. I say that because if the check IS big enough then PBF would do it.

29. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

And he would be counting all that money in a hospital bed with a broken ankle and forearm with GSP takes him down to the ground and pounds on him.

30. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

I am still not sure GSP could catch him...lol!!!