MB Press Conference

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TxnByBirth, Sep 16, 2013.

1. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

He really is delusional. Really. REALLY.

2. 7 Iron

7 Iron 500+ Posts

I hate these things - he always talks about leadership and never talks about football. Just go and read a John Maxwell book and you'll get the gist of it

3. 7 Iron

7 Iron 500+ Posts

"They're gonna have negative things in their life bla bla bla"

"Life's a challenge"

"I can't walk around with my head down - that's not good leadership"

"Lot of football left - I'm not getting down"

4. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

And yet you continue to watch [​IMG]

5. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

Only because I want to hear what new reason he has for luring us to the games (and the far-off chance he'll announce this is his last season). This time it's because we have recruits coming. Bravo, Mack.

6. UTMilkdropUT

UTMilkdropUT 25+ Posts

Always support your school and team. But you cannot confuse that with supporting the coaching or continued underperformace.

7. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

I feel sorry for him (yes, I know he's got $50 million).
    I wish it had worked out with him but clearly he's in way over his head. I don't understand how you can just not know how to do your job anymore but that's what's happened.

Just to throw in something from the presser. He says they're all trying too hard.

8. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

His line about "the coaches and players may be trying too hard, which isn't a good thing" is extraordinary. It basically cripples the argument from your sunshine pumpers that your players aren't giving enough effort and are quitters. You've heard it straight from Mack's mouth: your coaching staff and players are trying TOO HARD to do their jobs. Might wanna dial down the effort for better results.

Mack Brown truly is the ultimate ******** champion. And that's not even an insult against him, it's a compliment. Mack has entirely bullshitted his way into becoming UT head coach, bullshitted with HS recruits into stockpiling Texas talent, and bullshitted his way into obtaining job security for the better part of the next decade! All without knowing anything about the game. I must respect that.

At the very least, your school must write a check to the man for >$2M if you want to buy him out. Otherwise, you're stuck paying him over $5.5M until 2020 or until he decides he doesn't want to be given millions anymore to ******** with the fans and media and, occasionally, gameplan for an opponent. Wow.

I love Mack Brown press conferences.

9. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

10. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

There has to be accountability for missing tackles and that is the main problem with the defense. If you don't tackle then you don't play until you do. This should be an easy fix. Just watch the replays, there are db's that have a clean shot and completely miss. Until they play the ones that want to hit then the D will continue to flounder.

11. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 500+ Posts

And the longer he stays and we postpone getting a new head coach, the further behind we will get and the longer it will take to get back to where we know we belong. I like Mack, but it is just time.

12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

He talks more like he"s running a youth daycare center. He still thinks he can win the B12 conference, at least that is what he said they are focusing on. That will come to a crashing halt on Saturday. Next it will be to go to a good bowl, then to be bowl eligible, then to refocus on 2014. No end to his constant spin...I'm getting dizzy!

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

14. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

???Trying too hard??? [​IMG]

15. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I wanted Mack to be the guy to turn this thing around. There for a little while, I even believed he could do it too.

At this point, 3 years into rebuilding its apparent there is too much negative momentum, he has no way of reversing our backwards slide. He knows it, too. He just has to say what he needs to say for now in order to do damage control.

16. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

for YEARS, I bought into MACK....he's a good representative, et al....that was to excuse him for getting beat by ou....now, I'm done....

the man has lost it! he doesn't know what to say about anything....pulling crap outta his backside is nuts!!!

17. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Can I ask a favor? Will someone of you so negative about this press conference please, please tell me just exactly what you think he should have said that would make you feel better about it? Did you expect he'd resign and say f**k it and walk off this early in the season? Did you expect him to put a gun to his own head and take himself out altogether? Did you expect him to announce more firings just in time for the KSU game? Did you expect him to tell you that he and Dodds are eloping?

Please tell me. Inquiring minds want to know.

18. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I didn't see the press conference and have no desire to, but I take it he didn't discuss his impending resignation?

19. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

20. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

22. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

23. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

He should pull a Jim Mora.

"Well that SUCKED. What's that?! Big 12 Champs! HAH! Big 12 Champs!??? You kidding me?! I am just hoping we can in a game?!"

24. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

nota.^^......Why don't you spend a little time looking at the condition of this football program rather than being the posting monitor? Mack should have said he has fought the good fight , but he will hand it off to a new coach and staff. [​IMG]

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Prop Joe,

I admire your input and think you are one of the better posters on this site, but have you seen our games? Did you see Saturday night?

There may be two players on this team pressing or pushing too hard - Fera & Boyer. They are both doing their jobs and doing them well. There is not another Longhorn player that can be given an "attaboy". I have begged Mack Brown and even Deloss to take "TEXAS" off the jerseys. They don't deserve to wear that and should earn that right again.

TCU & Tech showed effort and emotion. Even SMU shows emotion. We have none. Mack has managed to lose his coaches, lose his players, and lose most of his fans and supporters. I continue to hang in there but am a realist.

I am not now and never have been a fan of Duane Akina. I actually threw a small party when he left for Arizona, only to have nothing but the hangover left a few days later. He is now the shining star of the defense. WOW! I did appreciate him getting up in Mack's face during the game and also yelling at Mack's latest neverwas wannabe to call the ******* defense now.

26. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Now that you mentioned it Akina has stunk since he left for UA and came back. He should shoulder much of the blame on defense with much of the secondary avoiding contact the last 3 years. Diaz probably didn't have any input or control with the secondary. Hopefully Robinson addresses this if that's the case.

27. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

28. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

Still dumbfounded that Mack said this wasn't a must win game.

29. el squared

el squared 100+ Posts

It is insane to expect significant truth or reality at these spin sessions...

30. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Watching any Mack Brown press conference after any loss is painful. Mack is thin skinned and defensive and the press is like a bunch of flies attacking an open wound.

The sight of it made me think of a Steven Covey Quote “You can’t talk your way out of what you’ve behaved yourself into.”

At this point, it really doesn't matter much what Mack says. What he does -- or more likely -- doesn't do is all that matters.

It also led to a second relevant Covey quote: “The way we see the problem is the problem”

Personally I like Mack. I know he and Sally have a lot of energy and love to give and they slather it on Longhorn football players. Their gifts should be put to work ... elsewhere. It's without a shred of hostility that I'd like to suggest that he and Sally put themselves to running a camp for the mentally challenged. All that clapping a positivity could be put to powerful good use. Frankly I'd rather coach Special Olympics than in a fiercly competitive league. Kindness, gentlness, empathy and compassion are wonderful traits. Alas leadership where those traits are overabundant is not very helpful preparing guys to go out and win against highly motivated, hyper competitive folks that want to bash their brains in. "Tough, uncompromising, demandiing, competitive, hard-nosed ... are traits I don't see much of in myself or Mack. Those are the ones needed in the Texas program, and if they don't come from the top, it's hard for anyone beneath the boss to display them with consistency and courage.