McDonald gets WKU job

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by KingBobo81, Apr 6, 2008.

1. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

2. dangdirtysooner

dangdirtysooner 250+ Posts

Will this have any affect on your current recruiting efforts?

3. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations to him... always like to see guys get their shot.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Great young coach going to a good program. Best of luck to him. [​IMG]

5. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

And Rick's coaching tree continues to grow. I'm sorry to see him go but happy for he and his family. Barnes always says that he wants all of assistants to become head coaches someday. Best of luck. [​IMG]

6. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

[​IMG]

Good Luck!!

7. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Ken McDonald was a virtual shoe-in for the job. There was a rumor going around that Bob Knight might take it, but once that proved false, I assumed McDonald was going to get it. He's going to do a terrific job there. He's one of those rare coaches who is just as good in one on one drills as he is recruiting on the road. He can evaluate talent, and he has the necessary charm to convince kids and parents to trust him.

I'm happy for him.

As far as recruiting, in the '08 class he was point man for Devin Ebanks and Wesley Witherspoon. They need to get Ebanks in for a visit still. I don't know how much this will affect that possibility, if at all.

For '09, Russell Springmann is the guy recruiting pretty much every high profile player listing Texas. I know McDonald was recruiting some kids, too, but they weren't the one and done/two and done types.

I hope Barnes goes after Rob Lanier. I don't know if he'd get him to come back to Texas or not, but of all the assistant coaches out there, he'd be my first choice. No matter, Barnes is going to bring in someone good.

I'd guess Ogden is going to get an assistant coaching job at Western Kentucky as well, assuming Barnes brings in someone from outside to fill McDonald's position. Haith took a couple of guys with him to Miami to fill staff positions, so I assume McDonald will do the same.

It's a great opportunity. I have a lot of confidence McDonald will do well there.

8. toucan82

toucan82 1,000+ Posts

good luck coach [​IMG]

9. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

slx, I guess Ogden isn't going to WKU after all.

10. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Nope. I would've preferred Ogden test the waters at another place and then return home at a later date, but that's not how it worked out.

Internal promotion has an inherent value. Russell Springmann was promoted internally, and that's worked out great. My hope is that Ogden works out extremely well, too.

11. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

I assume that Ogden is a smart guy. He got from Seminole to Austin without passing "Go" or collecting $200. [​IMG]

(I know it doesn't have anything to do with BB knowledge, but I gotta give a West Texas guy props for getting the heck out of there, and getting to Austin ASAP).

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

You mean, Mr. Basketball, right? Og got that in HS, if I recall correctly.

Congrats COACH McDonald. Good luck. I hope we meet you in the big dance soon but with the same result as the Miami game with Coach Haith.

Indeed this coaching tree of Barnes is sprouting new limbs with every blink of the eye it seems.

13. austinrealtor

austinrealtor 25+ Posts

Did Oggie get bumped up to asst @ TX?