Meal for friend fighting cancer

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Crockett, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I have a friend fighting a losing battle with cancer. Brainstorming about ways to help, I hit upon the idea of taking a nice meal over each week. (Damn, all the good intentions in the world and I can't do much that matters much.) Problem is I mostly cook spicy and radition therapy in the abdominal area is incompatible with "hot". Any ideas for some kind of bland comfort foods, not too high in calories, but tasty and satisfying?

2. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Chicken and dumplings? I've never made them because although they are comfort food for lots of people, I think they are bland.

A crockpot stew I make a lot: 1 lb stew meat, one bell pepper, cut in fairly big pieces, one onion, cut up same way, 2-3 potatoes, cut in chunks, one can cream of celery soup and 1/2 can water. Cook on medium heat for 6 or so hours. This is good and not spicy at all.

There should be lots of recipes on the Internet for chicken spaghetti, again not a spicy dish. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are also good comfort foods.

You might consider making a double recipe and take half frozen for another meal. You may not think you are doing much, but you are taking away something they would have to worry about. It will be very much appreciated.

3. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Crockett, I just glanced through the recipe book that HF has put together. There are several pork recipes that look good.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Shepherd's Pie? I think people make it different so what I have in mind is the one with layers of ground meat, veggies and mashed potatoes on the top. I think there may be a layer of mashed potatoes in the middle too.

Veggies, meat, taters, veggies, meat and taters on top. It's total comfort food without a need for spicy.

Mmm, this one has cheese on top!

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Quinoa and any number of other ingredients (meat/veggie combinations) mixed into it would be good.

Oh, and I want to tell you that you are doing a great service to your friend. My wife just finished 8 months of chemo, surgery, and radiation, and the people who helped us by cooking food for us were really, deeply appreciated. More than the food itself was the knowledge that these people were thinking about us enough to go out of their way to help. What you are doing does matter, and it matters a lot more than you imagine. So please allow me to thank you on behalf of all the people out there battling cancer.

Finally, you might consider asking your friend what he/she would like to have instead of cooking HornFans surprise. Just a thought.

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I ended up using an online recipe for chicken and dumplings in a crock pot. It was really easy. I just put chicken tenders in the bottom, a small chopped onion and a couple of celery stalks for flavor. The only seasoning I used was in a can of cream of chicken and a can of cream of celery soup. I put in a couple of cans of water and cooked for three hours on high, tore up a coupe of cans of biscuits and cooked about another hour and a half on high. It was good. The cancer patient, her daughter and her father all seemed to like it and I unexpectedly spent a couple of hours visiting, learning a lot more about the patient's situation and the marvelous support system from her job, church and family that is kicking in to help. For the rest of the family, not restricted to a mild diet, I took some stuffed jalapenos, which were much appreciated.

For the first time since she started therapy the cancer patient had some energy to talk. Her courage is amazing. She knows her days are numbered, though she said other patients in similar circumstances have lasted seven years. She's all about living. I get the feeling she won't spend any energy dying -- it'll just overtake her at some point.

7. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

You are doing a wonderful thing, Crockett. It takes relatively a small amount of time to make a huge impact on someone's life. Kudos.

8. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Crockett, you are a good man. [​IMG]

9. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I'm sure it was appreciated Crockett. Good job!

10. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Well the patient is getting stronger. I made pot roast this week, light on the spices, even salt and pepper. The stomach is getting stronger now.
    Next week, Lazy Lasagne. I first tasted that version of lasagna as a UT student when a girl I adored invited me and my roommate over.
    Turns out she thought my roommate was really hot. Funny think I don't keep up with the roommate. Even though romance never blossomed, the girl now 52 (and still pretty damned hot) is a good friend. Earlier this year I actually misplaced the recipe card I made in her Tri Towers apartment 30 something years ago. Fortunately, but I just Googled Lazy Lasagna and Houston Junior League and the recipe appeared on my laptop. I make it probably five or six times a year, but I still need to look at the recipe every once in a while.

11. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Good new about the patient. [​IMG]

12. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Chocolate cake. For some reason, chocolate was the only thing that tasted good when I was doing the radiation in my mouth and throat area.