Meanest ol' bartender in Austin dead at 95

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by TXSNOS, Apr 18, 2009.

1. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

The bar best not hold a memorial domino or card tournament.

That would turn her over in her grave.

[​IMG]

RIP, I always brought my empties downstairs to her.

The view from the deck used to be good, you could see the river back in the day.

Deep Eddy on Lake Austin Blvd. and The Horseshoe on South Lamar are the other old bars that I'll still hit when I know a cold beer will be better than waiting on traffic.

[​IMG]

3. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

Sarah's sister Mary and my mother, also Mary, were best friends. I loved hanging out at the cafe, shooting pool and sneakin beers back in the sixties.

RIP Sarah.

4. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

The meanest bartender these days is that guy at G and S.

5. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

I used to ride over to Mt. Bonnell on the bicycle and go screaming down the back side. I'd stop and drink 2 Shiner Bocks, then pedal back up that sumbitch.
    It was a training regimen that I stuck to religiously.
    RIP, ma'am.

6. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

Hope the family keeps it going. It is a uniquely Austin establishment, having a bar located in a residential neighborhood on prime real estate.

It'll be tough to fight off potential buyers, but I hope they continue on.

7. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

Didn't even have to click on the thread to know who the subject would be......

.......Here's hopin' that Heaven is a place where the empty bottles carry themselves down!

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

It wasn't wise to question why the beer wasn't real cold, either. Enjoyed quite a few sunsets there, and Sarah was a crotechety figure downstairs, but you grew to respect her for that. May the Dry Creek continue for many more years, and may Ms. Ransom rest in peace.

9. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

The son owns the house recently built behind DC, so I doubt it's going anywhere.

10. WarDamnBears

WarDamnBears < 25 Posts

Can anyone confirm that it is still open?

11. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Still open. Go check out Damon Bramblett who plays every Friday at sunset.