Medical Anxiety *DELETED*

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by CedarParkFan, Nov 26, 2013.

1. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

Post deleted by CedarParkFan

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Hoping you receive good news from the doc, CPF. It can be nerve-wracking to sit and wait on news that concerns our health.

This will sound controversial but there is some research showing that total cholesterol numbers may not be very meaningful, and are not even a good predictor of heart disease. Inflammation is the culprit. The report said that more than half of heart disease patients have normal cholesterol numbers. One thing that was suggested is to get the more detailed “particle size” test to determine how many of the smaller LDL types are present, as these do the most damage versus the larger “fluffy” particles.

Also, I saw something about a study that showed that while statins do lower cholesterol, they have not been shown to reduce heart attacks—which is really the target, not lower cholesterol. Again, if high cholesterol is not predictive of heart disease, then maybe we are chasing the wrong problem.

I don't have the links handy but it shouldn’t be hard to find the info. I don't know what the answer is but statins appear to have some undesirable side effects, and may not be helping as much as we are told. They generate about $29B in annual income to the industry so it's helping somebody, not sure about the patients though.

3. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

By using the term "overly nervous" I'm assuming that you think your reaction to the impending lab report is not reasonable. I guess I would look carefully at my concerns about how a negative lab report might change my life style. And I might also learn some simple relaxation exercises to use immediately prior to calling the doctor back.

4. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Anxiety over a cholesterol test seems odd to me - especially if you already have it done 2X a year. But you seem like a pretty tightly wound dude from your posts. Good luck..

5. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

Not for cholesterol. I don't really care about that. I was speaking of finding something else or something unexpected in liver panel.

6. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

7. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I always find that when I know about most of the permutations of the test results, what the codes mean, etc, that I can be more educated about my response to them. Medical terminology can be very confusing but there is a ton of information out there to learn about what the codes/terms mean.

Hopefully your results were good and you learn what they mean. [​IMG]

8. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts