Mexican Restaurant in Austin

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by TorontoMick, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TorontoMick

TorontoMick 100+ Posts

Hosers for The Horns, my group of Torontonians coming to Austin for our annual visit on Halloween weekend are looking for a lively Mexican Restaurant to hit. We've done Guero's the past three years and would like to try somewhere new. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Hook Em! Mick

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Mick, check the Around Austin and Rusty's Grill forums. There is a good sampling of reviews and opinions on just that as well as a host of other eateries you may want to check into.

Near the stadium is Mi Madre's and El Chile. Nearby is the taqueria version of El Chile, El Chilito. There is also Vivo which some like and others don't.

Across the street from Mi Madre's is Hoover's southern cooking. It is delicious and minutes from the stadium. You can walk there if you want to. Hope this helps.

Your question is going to get a myriad of responses and may not help you as there will be so many.

3. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Trudy's on 30th will be "lively," and the food is good, though not the best in Austin.

If you want upscale, hard to beat Fonda San Miguel.

4. TorontoMick

TorontoMick 100+ Posts

Thanks for the help guys. Cheers and Hook Em! Mick

5. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

Maudie's on Lake Austin Boulevard

[​IMG]

6. TorontoMick

TorontoMick 100+ Posts

7. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Takoba on 7th

8. MaceHorn

MaceHorn 100+ Posts

It's Maudie's on Lake Austin Blvd. Next case.

9. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

If they want lively they should hit the Maudie's on South Lamar instead of the one on Lake Austin...

For 'lively' I'd go either there, Guero's or the Trudy's by campus. None of these are in my top 5 Tex-Mex places in Austin but they're pretty good, and the atmosphere (ie hot chicks getting drunk) is excellent.

You could go to the Chuy's or Baby Acapulco on Barton Springs, but the food at those places really sucks...