Mexico ready to deal

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ShAArk92, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Proof? Did you read the letter released by Mexico or is that "Fake News"? Did you see Trump on video stating the exact quote above? McConnel openly stated the Senate was not supportive of Mexico tarriffs and was prepared to vote on legislation "early in the week" should the tariffs have gone into effect. How do you reconcile the facts with Trumps statements?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Did we or did we not get an agreement with Mexico that never would have happened without Trump?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Seattle Husker

An agreement to talk? What was committed in the agreement? Specifics please.

4. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The 4th and 5th paragraphs in the letter says it all. Mexico has to do work on their side or the US will take consequences. Signed by both parties. The threat of tariffs seem to have been working even before the agreement was signed as well. From one your favorite sites- Mexico Cracks Down on Migrants, After Pressure From Trump to Act

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. Seattle Husker

That's specific? We agree to talk in 45 days if we don't like Mexico's evaluation of their own laws or actions taken to stem immigration? That letter is amiguous. Contrary to Trump's fabrication (read LIE) of it being 1 page of a long and complex agreement, there is no specified actions or penalties. It's a political spin instrument.

6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

LOL! Wow, you're really stretching it, especially now that after Trump's actions Mexico has been more helpful of late.

7. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seattle Husker

What am I stretching? Page 1 applauded an agreement nobody had seen. Now that the agreement is public the talking point shifted to "but the threat of tariffs got Mexico to act." I didn't argue that. Mexico appears to be taking some actions, some of the same actions tried before which later waned. Remember when the State Department gave Mexico cash to secure it's Southern Border which then saw pictures of clashes at border checkpoints. That effort was shortlived. Remember when Mexico began capturing illegal immigrants from that infamous train and caravans? That too was shortlived.

The argument I'm making is that there is NO new agreement or longterm commitment with Mexico to stem illegal immigration but merely much of the same. Trump (and Pompeo) are claiming something new because they had backed themselves into a corner and Rule #1 in the Trump admin is never admit fault.

The roots of the illegal immigration problem are systemic, starting with failed governments in Central America. Unless you can positively influence that you are simply treating the symptoms.

9. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yes, it is an agreement regardless on how you feel about it. How effective it will be in the long term remains in the air. However, so far so good.

10. Seattle Husker

An agreement to talk. So far so good. Lol!

At what point do you stop defending the indefensible?

11. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Hardly. Keep using the MSM narrative. LOL!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Seattle Husker

I'll bite. Give YOUR translation of the ambiguous 1 page "agreement". Move beyond the cliche "MSM" and "Fake News" monikers. Please engage your reading comprehension and analytical skills and outline what was agreed to in your own words.

The agreement is public. We can all read the letter and apply our own critical reasoning skills.

OR you can come forward and say the agreement doesn't matter, regardless of it's efficacy because the Mexican government is taking some measure of action. That position is at least defensible rather than trying to claim up is down and down is up.

13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

As I said the 4th and 5th paragraphs tell you what it is. In my mind it tells me that Mexico has to reexamine what they're doing with illegal immigration and that the U.S. will punish them if they don't. Does it leave room for possible further talk? Yes. Is it an agreement? Yes, because both parties signed it and agreed to its terms.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Whatever Obama tried to do was laughable.

15. Seattle Husker

Ok. Now what's your assessment of this agreement?

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It was in my original post. Read it again.

17. Seattle Husker

So the agreement is "lipservice" with the goal being more support for punishing Mexico if/when they fail to make an appreciable dent in the flow of immigrants? Did I paraphrase that correctly?

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think Mexico’s actions have confirmed that it is more than mere lipservice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Seattle Husker

What are they doing differently than before? I suggest studying 2014 when Mexico first made it illegal to ride the trains and initially enforced the law.

BTW- lipservice was your word from page 1 of the thread

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Why did they backslide? This agreement now makes it harder to backslide.

21. Seattle Husker

Why did they backslide? Priorities change on both sides of the border. This "crisis" will be abandoned for another which will resurface this problem because the root issue wasn't addressed adequately.

Makes it harder in which way? The tariff threats will resurface? Those tariff threats that McConnell said he'd overturn with legislation?

22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

McConnell was just talking. He knows that if he and the other senators tried that they would be out of office in the next election.

23. Seattle Husker

Right. I think the economy and corporate $$ is more important to them than Trump's support which is why the "agreement" was manufactured. Trump wasn't willing to call their bluff and the GOP leadership knows they couldn't slit their own throats by trashing the only thing they have going for themselves in 2020, the economy.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You are referring to the Trump economy, of course.

25. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Nope. Being reelected is the most important thing to a career politician. There's no way in hell he could get enough senators to go along with it.

26. Seattle Husker

And the economy will have more bearing on their reelection than any support from Trump. Disrupting supply chains for American manufacturing would be devastating to the economy. Look no further than New Balance's statement last week against the tarrifs. 14 plants in America that woud have been impacted because there is no American supplier for components of the shoes they produce.

27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Nope. They have to get votes from Trumps' supporters or they're gone. It's that simple.

28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

At the same time it causes more businesses to come back to America and provides more work here. It's not a zero sum game.

29. Seattle Husker

Even Trump won't be getting those votes if the economy falters. His margin of error is pretty small as it is. Trump knows this too which is why the tariff threat with Mexico is hollow. If it wasn't, he would have received actual commitments.

30. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Tariffs of 5% to a 3rd world country are not going to destroy the economy.