Michigan vs. Texas

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TxnByBirth, Sep 26, 2015.

1. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

Watching both teams It feels like Harbaugh has done more at Michigan in just a few games than Strong has done in 1+ seasons at Texas. perhaps Michigan has more experienced players, I don't really know, but there is just a different....feel between the two teams. I have a feeling they will be prominent very soon while we will still be mired in quicksand. It sucks to feel that way.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Exactly. I made that comment a while back to watch what Harbaugh does with the 5-7 team he inherits and see how you feel about our progress then. And what do you know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Recruiting is the bleeding edge and I'm not seeing it with this class; of course there is much time remaining but we have no buzz....

4. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Harbaugh was my man all along. Then came Patterson!

• Like Like x 1
  5. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

I'll say this, as bad of execution we had today, and as poor a gameplan we had in the fourth quarter, almost every play was made by freshmen today (aside from Hassan Ridgeway and Tyrone on a couple of plays). So, there's definitely nothing wrong with the recruiting class the past year or two.

Now, if you're talking about the current recruiting class of '16, boy are there a lot of problems that need to be fixed, and FAST

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Urban Meyer took over a 6-7 Ohio St squad and went 12-0. Harbaugh inherited a 5-7 Michigan team and is 3-1 already. Strong took over an 8-5 Texas team and has gone 10-17. Not hard to see the light on this one.

• Like Like x 3
  7. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Akers took over a 5-5-1 team and went to a Heisman, Outland, National COY, 11-0 (11-1 final), No.1 ranking most of the year, and some posters still piss all over him. 6-7, 1-3 and counting .....

• Like Like x 3
  8. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

You can't compare michigan and ohio st with Texas. Texas and California have similar issues, they have tons of major colleges in state as well as tons of talent that fill their schollies with home state kids and then they, like us (texas) have tons of colleges coming in state to steal their (our) recruits.

How many colleges you know wanna go to michigan or ohio to recruit? only the one or two in state schools (Michigan and Michigan st. for Michigan and only Ohio St. for Ohio)

What i'm saying is there is enough talent in state in Michigan and Ohio that wanna go their state school and they can get or remain competitive quickly where as we gotta battle with Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU, Houston, Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, OU, Ohio St., Oklahoma St., UCLA, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Nebraska and good lord knows how many schools we have kids going to out of state that can play div 1......so don't go off and start trying to compare apples to apples when it aint, i aint saying harbaugh just not a good comparison.

9. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

It's not the talent I'm talking about, it's the mojo? Esprit de corps? Juice? The ability to lead and motivate young men to play over their heads and convince them they are the best team on the field even if they really aren't.

Charlie Strong doesn't seem to have that. Will Muschamp didn't have it. Lots of coaches that were great assistants and became head coaches didn't have it. It doesn't make Strong a bad coach, just a mediocre head coach whose intangibles don't match what Harbaugh brings to the table.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

So how do you explain Michigan's depth chart having 13 of the 22 starters from your Michigan/Ohio sample? You don't think they have to compete for the North Carolina, Florida, and California kids?

This is clearly a case of one guy having been in this scenario before and knowing what to do in the face of adversity, versus a guy who doesn't know what he's doing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."
    Bum Phillips about Don Shula.

12. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

I don't know about that aUTFan. You might want to check the stats for #s of HS players entering D-1 football programs from Texas vs kids from those other 2 states. Indeed, there are more D-1 schools located in Texas, but there are many, many more D-1 level recruits, as well.

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes, I'm talking about current recruiting. I agree last years class is showing well.

14. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Okay, I'll play. Royal's second year, 1958, he beat Bud Wilkinson's OU team 15-14.

That began a string of 8 straight victories in Dallas. Before that, OU had won 6 straight.

The 15-14 loss to Royal was OU's only loss that season. In '55 and '56, OU had back-to-back undefeated national championship seasons. In '57, Royal's first season, OU won 21-7, went 10-1 and finished 4th.

Including that 1958 season with a lone loss to Texas.... OU had a record of 51-2 over 5 seasons. One of those two losses being to Coach Royal in just DKR's second season. OU's other loss was to Notre Dame, ending the 47-game winning streak.

That's how monumental that 15-14 win was. And it made a statement that would mark all of Coach Royal's time at Texas.

What Royal knew was how to play the game. In every possible aspect. And to get the players to play at a level beyond their imagination.

I'm just about convinced that elite football coaches know how to impart that vision into the players. And, said coaches fully know that vision. They have no doubt about it. They have the complete and total vision of the entire scope of the game. It looks like such a simple game, but it really isn't. It's a lot more mental than it appears. Meaning it's all in the mind and what you envision and command by sheer will.

In the end, though it's a physical game, a football coach is a coach of the imagination and will.

Fox sports radio (on 1300 The Zone in Austin) just the past hour... all talk about Saban at deep odds with the fan base and at the best time ever if he's going to leave --- and leave for Texas.

Finally... I remember Royal most by the fact he valued the kicking game as most crucial to a championship caliber team.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
  15. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

What you're saying is that Michigan has a recruiting advantage over Texas because of geography.

Ohhh that's rich.

16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

What he is saying is that we have to fight off way more schools than them to gain a top recruit and a&m bolting to the sec made it worse. I get it this is Texas but Texas is driving distance to how many major football power houses compared to Michigan Ohio state and Michigan state

17. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

If we played in that Confrence we would be fighting for titles also and have you seen the teams they have played compared to ours

18. texas_ex2000

Easy,

I can read what he wrote. His "Michigan doesn't have to compete with other schools like we do," defense/qualification of CS in comparison to Harbaugh is specious because whatever merit that theory may have, it's de minimis to the fact that Michigan is losing people to the Sun Belt and the high school talent in Texas is magnitudes greater than Michigan's. 1,130 TX players in ESPN's database vs 174 MI players. 124 3 star or better TX players vs 22 3 star or better MI players

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/f...uttle=&verticaljump=&sparqrating=&c360rating=

Jordan Hicks, 3rd round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles, was a Parade, USA Today and EA Sports All-American and the high-school Butkus award winner. We probably could have gotten more guys like Hicks if we wanted to, but MB was able to dominate Texas.

Titles? Dude we're 1-3. Our only win was against Rice.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  19. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I'm not saying michigan has a recruiting advantage, I'm not defending CS, I'm just saying in my theory he has it easier.
    Using ur stats from espn 1130 for texas hs athletes vs 174 in michigan, there is no doubt that most of that 174 prob wants to play at home at michigan n he only has to compete against prob mich st possibly Ohio st for recruits, he prob gets the pick of the litter from in state kids. 174(recruits)/3 (schools)=58 athletes;
    where as texas 1130 (recruits)/ 30 schools just as a number for discussion & comparison when I know it's higher then that = 37ish

The better comparison would b how harbaugh did at Stanford year to year. Look at his record there instead, n I haven't looked at it yet but I think it's a better comparison on where CS prob should b.

20. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

In head to head recruiting for a QB who won Mich. or Texas?

21. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

We didn't get that QB because he is a drop back passer and was recruited by Texas as such. He committed to Texas.

Texas switched to a spread offense and then he changed to Michigan, who doesn't run the spread.

22. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

There are a lot of coaches that get their kids (who learned learned Xs & Os from coaches before them) really fired up to play. Both Charlie Strong and Will Muschamp and Gene Chizik were GREAT at it. But when that's your biggest strength as a coach, it needs to be as a coordinator who focuses on one side of the ball.

When head coaching is involved, exactly like TxnByBirth said, there are certain intangibles missing. Not a doubt in my mind, Vance and Charlie got this defense fired up after looking like crap the first two drives. The defense, coupled with some really poor play by OSU, were great when they were on the field. Made plays, stops, and I can't remember how many runs we stopped at the line of scrimmage all freaking game.

No doubt in my mind Charlie Strong is a great coach, and there were most definitely calls and special teams blunders that have given him possibly the worst luck in college football, but you can't deny that there are games in both this season and last season that we most definitely SHOULD HAVE won, and play calling/coaching penalties really bit us in the end.

23. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

The one thing I will say that says a lot about Charlie Strong is that the players, despite the most painful of losses, completely have his back, especially the freshmen he recruited.

After the game yesterday, while walking back in the tunnel, true freshman Ryan Newsome had his arm around him the entire time. Not to pick on Mack here, but Newsome was not a very sizeable 3-star aledo receiver recruit, which I'm not sure Mack would've recruited. These freshmen, and this team as a whole really take credit for what happens instead of making excuses and acting entitled, and really do rally around this guy.

24. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I said if we played in that league of course we would be its only 2 teams to worry about have you seen the schools they have played so far compared to us and let's not forget we are marching out there with mainly 19 year old kids For the most part. I get it Michigan won a game produced a shut out now people want to say we should have got harbaugh but don't forget they beat a byu team with a back up qb if taysom hill played that would not have happened

25. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

we have 3 patty cakes in our conference too. Kansas, Iowa state and Texas.

Kansas and Iowa state are improving.

26. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

The only sign of a team having a coach's back is shaking off a loss and winning a big game. Show me that feat?

WINS: North Texas, KU, ISU, TT, WV, OSU, Rice
    LOSSES: BYU, UCLA, Baylor, OU, KSU, TCU, Arky, ND, Cal, OSU

And please don't try to sell a win over 7-6 West Virginia being some amazing thing. It was a quality win over a fairly good, yet beatable opponent.

No Texas player is claiming moral victories in these narrow losses. Putting up a good fight in defeat is not evidence of having a coach's back. Winning a game when the odds before kickoff are stacked against you...that's having the coach's back.

27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Big 10 has about 7 or 8 taking into consideration they have more teams than us of course, but that's most likely the reason we have to expanded it has to be the right schools but that's another topic for another thread

28. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Sorry bud but a win is not the only way to show that you have your coaches back

29. texas_ex2000

Easy,

What you're posting makes absolutely no sense. Have you even been watching the games?

This team sucks. It's the coaches and the players. They were bad last year, and their results this year are more of the same. 1-3 is not like some out of left field result that no one predicted in August.

You said we could play for titles if we were in a different conference. You can type it, and it could sincerely be how you feel, but there are no facts in the real world that support that statement.

Winning, not pats on the back or tweets, is how you know players and coaches are on the same page. Patting your coach on the back after a craptastic loss is, honestly, pathetic. The taxpayers of the State of Texas should not be paying a coach millions of dollars only to see him after a craptastic loss be patted on the back by a player who did not do his job because his coach did not do his job.

Snakebitten...a referee conspiracy. I've never seen this board go flank speed stupid. This team is not snakebitten - whatever the hell that means. There is no massive conspiracy against Texas. What we're seeing is very simple. This team is not good. This team's leadership/coaches, simply put, are not up to the task. They and those that hired them misjudged their abilities and philosophy to compete and recruit in this state and in this conference.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  30. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I made the argument last year the Big 10 was bad. The Big 10's non conference record was terrible. Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, etc. proved me to be very very very wrong in the bowl games and made me look very silly. The Big 10 is much better than it was even 2 seasons ago. I would not bash them right now.