Mike Leach

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MarylandHorn, Jun 2, 2011.

1. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

Today's Washington Post catches up with Mike Leach in Key West...

Link

2. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

for a guy with a law degree, it is strange that he tells the author the sovereign immunity doctrine is an antiquated law. All fifty states and the US rely on them extensively.

And he did not get fired for what he did to the James kid but for insubordination----he filed an injunction in state court against his employer for briefly suspending him. If they were indeed trying to save money by firing him less than a year after they signed the new contract, he sure helped them out.

He's an interesting coach and I hope he gets another job somewhere but he is reckless to an extreme degree. And I don't mean just when he goes for it on fourth and five from his own twenty. He feuded over trifles with the administration of TTU almost from the day he got there. Publicly. I can't imagine UT putting up with a coach who did that.

3. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Agree with huisache. The guy is a complete loose cannon.

4. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Every guy who hires him will look at a myriad of issues with Leach.
    On issue 1. Will he be a good football coach? the answer is a resounding "Yes!'
    On issue 2 and AD will ask "Will I enjoy being his boss?" To say yes, that would be somebody desperate for a good coach or maybe somebody who's great at working with quirky subordinates..

5. Bluff Horn

Bluff Horn 250+ Posts

Don't overlook the fact that he threw Gerald Myers under the bus during contract negotiations the year before the James saga started.

6. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

His lawyer has an interesting argument that sovereign immunity means the state can reneg on contracts without fear of recourse and "If it’s not enforceable, you don’t have a contract.”

7. longtex

longtex Guest

In reply to:

8. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

The quote about a contract not being enforcable with the issue of soverign immunity wasn't from Leach's lawyer, it was from Craig Eiland.

9. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i think he'll end up as new mexico's coach in 2012.

10. longtex

longtex Guest

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

12. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

It is just my two cents but college football is always more entertaining with the pirate coaching.

I hope someone brings him back and we don't have to play them.

13. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

You can say all you want about Leach but he is a winner and will win wherever he coaches. He also runs a clean program and graduates players. He had the misfortune of running into some west tx hicks that didnt like his antics. that's fine, to each his own. tx is not a doormat. i think we beat them last year which is shocking in itself. do you think if leach was coaching tech, we beat them last year? we lost to baylor and iowa st.

14. longtex

longtex Guest

15. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

16. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

wow, if only everyone could be as sophisticated and urbane as general 35.

too bad kent hance's book learnin' didn't take while in law school in austin.

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

18. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Leach probably considers being labeled a "loose cannon" a compliment.
    The Link

College football is the poorer without this entertaining fellow at the helm somewhere; I for one sure miss him.

19. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

i feel like last season the media tried to fill the void leach's personality left by pumping up les miles as "the mad hatter" or whatever.

it didnt work. i miss mike.

20. glenn

glenn 1,000+ Posts

i grew up out west, and i can say that region has no appetite whatever for quirky behavior or quirky sense of humor.  great people out there.  tough, independent but caring and giving.  but if you are something of an oddball, that's not the place for you.

case in point.  not long ago in a supermarket parking lot in austin i encountered a guy who had just put his bags in the car and was headed with the cart to a collection point.  i asked him if the cart was low mileage and one-owner.  he looked at me strangely.  i said it looks in pretty good shape.  does it get good mileage?  he picked up my drift and laughed.  said he'd never had a moment's trouble with it.  so i took it from him and returned it to the big stack of carts at the front entrance on my way in.  it was just an amusing little moment where that guy and i mimicked a used car transaction.

some time back i did that in a supermarket parking lot out in west texas, and that guy didn't say a word to me.  just stared.  no response.  i took the cart without saying another word and took it to the store.  i swear i could feel that man's eyes in the middle of my back all the way in.

great people out there, but it's not the place to be if you are the least bit oblique.  the pirate will prosper somewhere else.

21. bronco

bronco Guest

22. longtex

longtex Guest