Mike McCarthy to Cowboys?????

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Jan 4, 2020.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

ESPN reporting he is to meet with Cowboys today.............interesting.

2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Red Herring.

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Last I read, he was only going to interview with the Cowboys.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He was seen entering the offices at The Star. I would be surprised if he is named the HC - not a big enough splash for Jerrah. From reports, I would guess either Zimmer or Peyton. Jerrah thinks his offense is playable leaving the defense to be reworked, which would point to Zimmer. I guess the Vikings would see what they would get in return as retribution for the fleecing they took on the Walker trade.

• Like Like x 1
  5. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

7. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

It matters very little who the head coach is - as long as Jerry thinks he's a good football man and names himself the GM, the Cowboys are destined to scale the heights of mediocrity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

According to what I've read. Mike has been doing alot of homework and developed a new approach to his coaching which would include a heavy reliance on analytics and a specialized team of people focused solely on this to support it. He is pitching this hard. Will be interesting to see who bites and what the results are.
    Also, he has acknowledged he may want to be a little more creative at times in response to criticism he received upon departure from GB.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RainH2burntO

Fun fact.....
    Dallas had an unprecedented disparity between key stats and record...
    Going into the Philadelphia game, with a 7-7 record, the team ranked #1 in offense and #8 in defense in the NFL.
    Another key metric measuring point differentials placed Dallas in a historically elite class, being the only team in history ranking as high while not advancing to at least the CCG.

10. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I would say that indicates poo stratergetics, or whatever GW called it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

NFL Network reporting McCarthy it is.

12. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Jay Glazer from Fox broke the story. Interesting this guy that doesn't usually play in day to day locker room reporting broke the news ahead of people like Werder, Archer and Slater who are designated to report on the team.

13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

it's a very unsexy choice. maybe that's a good sign?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Is McCarthy the kind of man that will tell his boss "YES" frequently?

15. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I posted this on the "On the Field" board earlier...

Cowboys Hiring Mike McCarthy as Head Coach
    DAN GARTLAND UPDATED: JAN 6, 2020 ORIGINAL: JAN 6, 2020

Former Packers coach Mike McCarthy has agreed to become the next head coach of the Cowboys, less than a day after Dallas informed Jason Garrett his contract would not be extended.

Fox's Jay Glazer first reported the news and McCarthy later confirmed to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero that he had signed with the Cowboys.

LINK:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/06/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-hire-head-coach

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Just saw this thread. It’s reported by multiple credible sources that a deal has been signed with McCarthy. It’s a done deal all right.

Also Mike Nolan (Saints LB coach) will be the Cowboys’ new DC.

17. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

The Cowboys finished #19 in Turnover Differential at -1 on the season. They also ranked #15 in TD % in redzone opportunities scoring only 57% of the time they ventured into that area of the field. Therein lies the reason they sat at home watching football this last weekend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. RainH2burntO

The fascinating thing was how consistently bad they were against better competition. I mean, you expect any team to have a tougher go against stronger opponents, but there are usually some outliers or better performances in losing efforts. They were just flat out, predictably and consistently bad vs stronger opponents. They looked intimidated and beat in almost every game even before the end of each was written.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kind of like aggy.