Minecraft

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Dionysus, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Anyone play Minecraft? My two boys got started on it a couple weeks ago and it’s really cool, they have a blast with it. It’s a survival game where you are in a virtual world and you have to build a shelter, find food, protect yourself from zombies, raise animals, etc. Great game for the kiddos, and teaches a few practical lessons in the process.

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

My kids love it. It is about the only computer game that they play. Halo, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Need for Speed all just sit there unused. My wife also plays Minecraft. She builds houses and just plays in the safe modes.

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

When my kids first started looking at it we were like: eh. Then we watched a few tutorials on YouTube, I had no idea there was so much depth and variety to what you can do with the game. The animals are hilarious.

Last night they asked me if we could set up a multiplayer server on our home network so they could play in the same world together. I thought it would be difficult, but I found a tutorial video for that as well and installed it on a spare Mac Mini we have on the network (all the software is free) — less than 10 minutes later they were up and running on a private Minecraft server in the house. They were giddy and dad was a hero.

Minecraft is really cool.

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Kids are so smart and can figure things out in a hurry! I figure my days are numbered as the ‘smartest’ tech guy in the house, but I do still control the network and computer permissions ... for now. LOL.