Miracle on 34th Street and other classics

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by ptownhorn, Dec 25, 2010.

1. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

Decided to try and catch classic movies I have never seen. I have "It's a wonderful life" and "gone with the wind" up next.

Boy did movies in 1947 suck... ok, ok, not that bad. But, I hope the others are better. The whole Santa Clause on trial thing was amusing.

My grandmother is 85yrs old, lived her whole life in Kansas and has never seen the Wizard of Oz. (just throwing that out there)

Does anybody recommend any other classics not on my list? I was born in 1973 so i am talking 40s,50s, 60's movies.

2. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

It Happened One Night is wonderful. Not a Christmas movie, but a classic sometimes overlooked by those born to color TV. I've never had someone say they didn't like this movie.

Another Hornfan fave is The Best Years of Our Lives. It's about the return of three WWII veterans to their hometown. Even though it is not a combat movie, it is one of the best war movies out there. I usually can't turn it off when I happen by it on TCM.

Introduce yourself to the wonderful Jean Arthur in Mr. Deeds Goes to Town with Gary Cooper.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan is the fun original that Warren Beatty turned into Heaven Can Wait, also very good.

You may want to watch some of these black and white movies before watching Gone With the Wind or the Wizard of Oz. These movies set themselves apart technically as well as naratively. Watch It Happened One Night right before Gone With the Wind to get a hint of what it must have been like for film goers in the late Thirties.

But I become tedious. Hope you like the movies.

3. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

To add a few more:

Alfred Hitchcock movies - North by Northwest, Vertigo, The Birds. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane - Betty Davis and Joan Crawford. Shane - an old western. Vintage Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire. Casablanca and Citizen Kane. There are tons!

4. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Young Frankenstein feels like a classic

5. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

I have seen The last picture show. Really enjoyed that.

I finaly saw Easy Rider about a year ago. I thought it was overated. It did create a lot off odd situations. For example, when the small town girls were checking them out on their bikes. It was just a weird/uncomfortable scene.

How about some old westerns?

6. Sip94

Sip94 500+ Posts

Yeah, a lot of old "classics" really don't hold up well. As previously mentioned, Hitchcock is still quite good.

7. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

Picnic with William Holden.

8. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

Add Rear Window to the Hitchcock classics noted above.

Morocco (1930) with Gary Cooper and Marlene Dietrich.

Bogey is one of my favorites, so in addition to Casablanca, also see To Have and Have Not, The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo, African Queen and The Big Sleep.

I would love to be able to see all of those movies for the first time again. [​IMG]

9. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

An oft-forgotten classic Christmas movie is "We're No Angels," with Bogart, Aldo Ray and Peter Ustinov. It's one of my favorites, and not just during the holidays.

10. 2feathers

2feathers 250+ Posts

"The Westerner" and "Sergeant York" are both good movies, especially if you like Gary Cooper, which I do.

11. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

Double Indemnity starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. It's a great example of film noir.

12. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

Another great Bogart film is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
    Bogart and Walter Huston get most of the acclaim but Tim Holt holds his own as an actor.

Gold Hat (Alfonso Bedoya): "We are Federales... you know, the mounted police."
    Dobbs (Bogart): "If you're the police, where are your badges?"
    Gold Hat (Bedoya): "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges