mizzou game musings

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by hoopdoc, Jan 12, 2008.

1. hoopdoc

hoopdoc < 25 Posts

Well, not so great.
    I can't figure out how much of their shooting was bad D, and how much was one-of-those-days shooting-wise. Ah well.
    Not Rick's best coached game in my opinion. His style is to let players play through adversity seemingly without time-outs and a lot of coaching input. Didn't work today.
    Like others, I'm a bit puzzled by the use of Mooney. I assumed in recent games this was a message to the other players, and so be it. That said, and done, he is not helping us win games, IMO. Rick may believe his play is good for the team in the long haul. But I think it hurt us today.

DJ is going to be one tired puppy by the end of this year.

Looks to me like he is sometimes holding the ball too long and is overly hesitant about making entry passes.

I didnt hear the post game, not sure what Coach's take was.

Last thought: I am really puzzled by Dexter and his play thus far. I thought he would be able to contribute more. Maybe he needs more sustained playing time to get in a groove. He should be a stoper on D inside.

2. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

exactly how I feel about this team

and did prior to today.

Pittman is a project, and looks to be destined to leave here as such.

Our zone defense SUCKS......outside shooters have to be laughing at that ****.

Injuries as an excuse is ********, everyone has them.

If you didn't hear the post game, you missed a dead on comment either by Barnes or Oran, I don't remember, but it was something to the effect of "thank God we didn't come back and win because we wouldn't have taken how poorly we played so seriously".

We need to improve A LOT before February.

3. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Alot of talent but with a young team expect alot of ups and downs. Big 12 play is going to be difficult though. I expect between 10 and 12 wins for UT in Big 12 play.

4. 7out

7out 100+ Posts

They shot good because the defense sucked.

5. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Its not hard to shoot over two five foot nothin' guards who are standing at the top of the zone... I love DJ and AJ, but the fact of the matter is they are short and elevating above them is not difficult. Clean looks = made shots.

I am still waiting to see DJ make a post entry pass... Just once. Even AJ had 2 post entry passes and a nice drive and dish that game but DJ... Pretty sure I didn't see it happen once. [​IMG]

6. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

Post entry pass? What's that? Sure doesn't seem like we know what it means - or if we do, we sure as hell don't use it. Come on, Rick.

7. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

It wasn't just perimeter defense that bothered me. I just don't see communication and help on defense that we need to see. Case in point--Wangmene overplays on the perimeter, his man beats him at the three point line and drives to the basket AND NO DEFENDER MAKES ANY EFFORT TO HELP. Wangmene chases, fouls, easy three point play. Ugh.

8. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

This team has undergone a rather dramatic transformation since the UCLA game, and not in the right direction. I was floored by our zone defense in that game. (I guess I still am floored, but again, not for the right reasons.)

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I've refrained from saying much because I couldn't watch relevant parts of the game (and I still haven't).

The scary part, to me, is not so much the Missouri accuracy BTA (even though it was a key factor in the outcome), because as we know, that comes and goes. When they're hitting about a third of them, and have a 6-of-10 half, sometimes that happens.

What I thought was the killer was the 13-of-17 inside the arc.

You can't beat anybody giving up 70 percent shooting.

10. UTatYale

UTatYale 25+ Posts

Our defense was atrocious. No energy, no hustle, no awareness of where the shooters are. Missouri shot the percentage you would expect from a D-I team when most of their shots are as wide open as a pre-game shoot-around.