Mizzou to SEC Official now

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by HornFan4Ever, Nov 6, 2011.

1. HornFan4Ever

HornFan4Ever 25+ Posts

Link

We'll wave bye when we beat you on Saturday!

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good news finally. aggy and Missouri get those checkbooks out!

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

...and invest in Astroglide. Well, those two teams are used to smooth and steady ones already so it will be more of the same but by different teams.

4. TexasUFO

TexasUFO 25+ Posts

They've been jumping up and down with their skirt up for a long time trying to give themselves away to anyone that was willing to take them. I am glad they finally got "picked up". They have been pathetic and embarrasing themselves begging for someone to love them. Athletically they've been irrevelant in the Big 12. They'll be the same in the SEC in football, but pribably better in a very, very weak basketball conference.

5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

SEC is getting two middle of the road Big XII teams. Which is what they wanted. The SEC wanted to improve its footprint but they didnt want superpowers they wanted mid-level teams and that what they got. Aggy and mizzou are just dumb enough to think they were invited so they can "compete". Fodder for the cannons.

6. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

aggy gone = priceless. no need to explain the obvious.

Mizzou gone = wtf? I held out a 1% hope that they would have come to their senses. This is as bad as saying American Airlines moves its hub and HQ out of DFW and move to Atlanta. MU was caught in a confidence crisis as they really should have hold out for the Big 10 if that was where they really wanted to be. Big 10 may have spurn MU but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen years down the road.

Hope it "works out" for Mizzou!

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Maybe you were being sarcastic, but I don't hope it works out for them or any of the others.

8. Horn_in_Toronto

Horn_in_Toronto 250+ Posts

Pinkel and his staff better start polishing up their resumes! I am sure they are not too pleased with the move.

9. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

Just because they've only "won" 2 conference championships since 1945, and neither were outright, doesn't mean they can't compete in the SEC, right? Oh boy.

10. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

Strength of schedule just went down across SEC. And likely this is what they wanted.

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

12. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

I wouldn't say this one doesn't hurt. I think it does (rankings per NCAA official Big 12 2010 attendance):05. Texas: 100,654
    11. Nebraska: 85,664
    12. Oklahoma: 84,738
    13. Texas A&M: 82,447
    26. Missouri: 61,540

32. Texas Tech: 57,108
    34. West Virginia: 56,325

41. Oklahoma State: 50,812
    43. Kansas State: 49,816
    48. Colorado: 46,864

54. Iowa State: 45,395
    55. Kansas: 44,851
    56. Texas Christian: 42,466
    (>35,000 during stadium upgrade)
    61. Baylor: 40,043

Still, Missouri is now over and done. Texas seems bent on rebuilding the B2, and so rebuilding will continue.

Next stop is probably Notre Dame and their decision with respect to continued affiliation with the Big East, which will come down this coming January. Right now, it looks like ND will stay in the BE, but January's still a while away.

You never know, but I suspect B2 expansion will be quiet until we see 2012.

13. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

14. RobbyHorn

RobbyHorn 500+ Posts

well at least they aren't quite the attention ho's that aggy is. funny that now the new has worn off aggy's move to the sec sec sec they're not part of many FBS discussions anymore.

15. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

Fair question, H-D Rider.

Let me preface my response by saying that I went to Texas, my kid goes to Texas, and therefore I hope the Big 12 can be rebuilt into as strong a conference as possible. It looks like Texas is determined to stay in the B2 and rebuild the B2, at least for the next 6 years (the length of the GOR), so, again, I hope that the B2 can be improved as much as possible over what it has become today.

ND has said it will reevaluate its non-football conference affiliation this coming January. Not in the dim, dark, undisclosed future. This coming January. Is January far away? Anyhow, if ND's affiliation could be moved to the B2, from the BE, plus 6 B2 games per year, such a move would reinforce the integrity and prestige of the B2, and make most B2 schools very happy, I should think. Hence, I think all expansion stops for the B2, ACC, and even the B1G until ND makes its decision in January.

16. Horn_in_Toronto

The Big-12 really needs to play hardball with aggy and mizzou on exit fees. Even if it means dragging things in court. The question is, would the SEC stand by aggy and mizzou if the Big-12 took those schools to court?

17. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

18. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

FWIW, Santafe, I meant 2012, not 2013. Sorry for the brain-lock.

WVU is just a matter of money, in the end. I firmly believe WVU plays in the B2 next year. This one needs a little more maranading in the courtroom, and then it will be done just in time for 2012, I should think. Still, if you are right and I am wrong ...?

As for additional expansion, which in inevitable, I think the B2 will hesitate until ND makes its mind up this coming January. Put another way, the B2 ought to be making every attempt to try to snare ND, either by affiliation or all in. The 45-page B2 expansion report, leaked by MU officials, confirms appropriate negotiations are on-going with the Domers.

If the ND gambit fails, then you're back to the Big East schools, I guess. Louisville, USF, Rutgers, Cincinnati. BYU is pretty nice (although the wrong direction), but can they figure things out? Maybe an East Carolina? Choices are limited, as you know.

But, if ND were to come all in -- just assume they do, regardless of odds -- then maybe you can target a more upscale neighborhood? Maybe the B2 could pick off a nice ACC school (or schools)? Maybe an FSU, or a Clemson, or a GT? Both FSU and Clemson have made rumbling noises for the SEC in the recent past, and Maryland for the B1G, suggesting less than full appreciation for the ACC. Just a thought.

As for a conference c-game, the money is there, true. However, there is also a matter of prestige. Is a conference really a "major conference" if it lacks a championship game? The B10 and PAC got away without one for many years, but can a debilitated B2? Like you, I would bet there will be a conference c-game in the B2 in the near future, and that means at least 12 schools.

19. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I still think Louisville is in the B2's future, and BYU too. I think in the end, the conference goes back to twelve teams and adds the conference championship game again. Louisville would be a good add because they're very good in basketball, improving in football, and they bring the Louisville tv market, which is not tiny. They would also give the B2 a presence in nearby SEC and B1G country.

20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

21. Horn_in_Toronto

Anything under $20 million from each school would be a joke.
    $40 million will go a long way on helping any other schools the Big-12 might be interested in, tear away from the clutches of their own conferences.
    Give maybe $5 million to WVU to help them get out of the BE, sweeten the pot a little for some other schools like ND (hey one can dream and speculate) and voila the Big-12 is a real conference again.

22. 22 HORN

22 HORN 250+ Posts

please explain the ND 6 game plan...based on 2 divisions??

23. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

22 Horn: I have not read any details as to how the 6 games would play out from year-to-year. Sorry.

If an affiliation worked out, I hope Texas gets an annual home-and-home (even if that would be unfair to the rest of the conference).