MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 13, 2017.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Congrats to Morgan Cooper selected at #62 in second round by the Dodgers. :hookem:

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Congratulations, Mr Cooper, and thank you for your contributions to Longhorn Baseball and for making The University of Texas baseball program better than when you arrived. Best wishes in the Dodger organization.

:hookem2: :texasflag:

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

5. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Kacy to the Blue Jays in the 8th round. I am disappointed - I really wanted the Astros to take him.

6. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

isn't Toronto where his Dad started out?

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Roger started in Boston and moved to Toronto, then the Yankees, Astros, and finished with the Yankees.

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Roger won two Cy Young's with Toronto

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

11. Phil Elliott

Come to UT, get drafted. Pierce can sell that.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes but you have to win something at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phil Elliott

Are you kidding me? He's been here ONE YEAR. This is something you say if he had been here 10 years and the regional was as far as he got. I'd say he did a damn fine job coaching up the players he got from Augie to where they were draftable.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

There are normally 40 players on our squad, 25 of whom suit up or travel. I don't know how many of those were eligible for the draft, but having 11 drafted, regardless of round, tells me that we had a talent level that I didn't see perform on a consistent basis. While I shall concede that Augie didn't leave a loaded roster, inconsistency lands at the feet of the coaching staff. For the money, I expect and deserve better. That said, He did get a higher level of performance toward the end of the season, AND he beat OU and A&M, which if this was football, would make it a successful season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Slow down and take a breath Phil. My point was 11 drafted players is great. However, if Pierce doesn't win something those numbers will go down as there are other options, and Texas currently isn't the biggest name on the College Baseball Street in Texas.

Pierce did wonders with the hand he was dealt, but 11 draftees and no conference, CCT or regional championships does not seem to correlate.

16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

17. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

If Kennedy signs as expected, we will have no left-handed pitching next year. Unlikely we can find A LHP that's any good this late.

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't we have a commitment from the Perez kid at San Jac? Left-handed pitcher throwing in the mid 90s

• Like Like x 2
  19. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

Kennedy signed.

Even Tyler Schimpf signed!

It seems the coaches will be further scouring summer ball games looking for kids looking to move-up from their JUCO LOIs which apparently aren’t binding if they get a D1 offer.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

For some reason I thought he was a lefthander. Please tell me I didn't get bad info about the 94 mph fastball. That all came from listening to the radio broadcast from Grand Junction - not Lynn Michaels but a local station at the Juco World Series.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Do you mean Diaz?
    If so, he's a righty
    As a freshman, he & San Jac made the Junior College World Series (1.85 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 24.1 innings)
    As sophomore, he pitched 30.1 innings as the closer at San Jac (2.08 ERA, 60 strikeouts)
    Known for a killer slider, but also throws big breaking curveball + change up. Can hit 95 with the fastball

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't know him. I have a friend (Texas EX) who broadcasts the JUCO World Series. He told me that I would be pleased. I have never seen him pitch. The "other" broadcast group in Grand Junction said he was "a flame throwing lefty".

I know he has a strong arm, but he had serious control problems in Colorado, but then so did Nolan Ryan at that age.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts