MLB Umps angry over background check questions

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by jmatt, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

I'd be pissed off too...

2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

agreed also, they have a huge right to be pissed

3. Titan

Titan 100+ Posts

Wow, those are some interesting questions to ask when trying to find out if the umps are gambling on the games.

4. iowahorn11

iowahorn11 100+ Posts

What did the ump say to psycho (Milton Bradley?) last year when he went insane and blew out his ACL? Wasn't it supposedly a racist comment?

There's more to this than them betting on games.

5. Bubba Don

Bubba Don 250+ Posts

I wouldn't have a problem with my employer asking me those questions, but then I don't easily get worked up about small stuff. I have nothing to hide.

More importantly they ought to get all those fat, old umps into a workout plan.

Hook em

6. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

7. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

If true, this is absurd. However, this is on par from an organization run by that idiot Selig.

8. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

These are not unusual questions for a background check. The umpires are representing MLB. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Lots of people endure the same or worse scrutiny for obscure jobs with less pay, benefits, and noteriety, and far less potential for chicanery.

9. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

10. Titan

Titan 100+ Posts

11. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Who knows what the actual questions are.

About marijuana could be "Do you know if he has a history of drug use."

Beating wives "have there been any incidents of domestic dispute that you know of?" or "Have the police ever come to his house for a domestic dispute."

It's all in the wording. have you done drugs is not that bad to me. Is he a member of any group that might reflect negatively on MLB..such as the KKK.

I don't know, doesn't seem too bad to me...but then again, I'm proud of my wife-beating drug use klansmanship.

Jokes..

12. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

13. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

14. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

The umps are out-dated worthless variables to the game of baseball.

It would be EASY to place a chip in a baseball or put sensors around home plate that would make the importance of an umpire equal to close to nothing.

Taking the umpire element out of baseball (and the ridiculous changing strike zones or umps calling a ball a strike or a strike a ball) would help focus the game on the players and would eliminate the worry of umpires gambling.

PS- What the f**k is the strike zone anyway? (It should NEVER change for a player throughout his entire career.)

15. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

16. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I am pretty sure that anyone who knows that an ump is in the KKK wouldn't tell anyone who didn't have a need to know.

18. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

19. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

20. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

79 Posts

Maybe s/he's just trying to raise his/her post count.

[​IMG]

PS- I have a cousin (who I don't really even know) who got kicked out of Boy Scouts in 5th grade for burning a cross in a black kid's yard. (small town Missouri) That same cousin was in the Marines during the first Gulf War. Just a fun fact.

PPS- I still don't like the use of umpires in the MLB.