MLB

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Apr 2, 2021.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I largely ditched MLB when I moved overseas in 2011. Obviously going to games was out of the question, and the time change made watching the games impractical. However, I did continue to follow the Texas Rangers until last year, and during that brief period when the Rangers were a powerhouse in the early 2010s (before they stupidly shitcanned Nolan Ryan), I stayed up to watch the critical games and playoff game. I stopped following them last year, because the season was shortened so much that it was a bit of a joke.

As much as I've always loved baseball and have great memories of watching and attending games with my dad, I've always been a cynic of the baseball business abc especially of the league. It's one of the sleaziest business enterprises and has been in the sack with politicians for over 100 years. It gets huge corporate welfare in terms of stadium subsidies and tax abatements, and it has an antitrust exemption that the Supreme Court pulled out of its *** in 1922. If liberal politicians hold power (as they do now especially in big cities), I'm not at all surprised that they are doing their bidding. Am I happy about it? No, I think it's dumb. However, they lost me as a fan due to circumstances as well as disillusionment over my teams mistreatment of Nolan Ryan long before the league became outwardly woke.

• Like Like x 2
  3. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

I never met Nolan Ryan but saw him pitch in Arlington for the Rangers. Still don't understand the firing. In my opinion, the Rangers have not been the same since.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

uta
    His pregame routine was amazing wasn't it.?
    Like your avatar sentiment, non bullied :ousucksnana:

• Like Like x 1
  5. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

6721:

My Father-in law worked for the Rangers and knew Nolan Ryan and the rest of the team. I actually have his autograph signed to me. I also have Tom Landry's autograph through a family friend. Saw both in person, just never met them.

Thanks for the avatar sentiment.

• Like Like x 2
  6. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

I met Nolan at a SW airlines check in extremely nice guy for the pub he gets. I thought he would of been a tower, but no normal height. Abnormal fast ball.

7. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Humahuma,

I saw Terry Bradshaw at DFW in the late 80's. As a Cowboys fan he broke my heart more than once. Ashamed to admit it, but I hoped he would be a jerk to autograph seekers. To the contrary, he was very kind to every one he met and I have respected him since.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I never met Nolan Ryan.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

hic matb
    Maybe you never met Nolan
    We know you have other claims to fame :bow::ousucksnana:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. horninchicago

All claims are disgruntling, uphauling, and idoitic.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

2021 Rangers: Cool new stadium. Same crummy team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. horninchicago

Who cares? BLM is embraced by them.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

14. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Here is an ironic twist. I met Nolan on an airplane, but never saw him pitch. I had tickets to a game in 1991 where he was scheduled to pitch in Oakland. He scratched that day due to illness. Still went and caught a foul ball.

Met him on a SWA flight years later. Was a gracious and nice man. Texas legend for sure.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  15. horninchicago

I never had tickets for a game in 1991.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I've met Nolan Ryan twice. The most recent was at a Father's Day special event at the Ballpark (in either 2011 or 2010 - can't remember for sure). My dad and I went and got to listen to Nolan talk about his plans for he team (took questions from the audience) as well as about his experiences. At the end, he came and met everybody who was there. Frankly, it baffled me that they let Ryan go. Not only was he a shrewd baseball mind, he was an excellent promoter of the franchise and great with the fans. It would be like the Yankees deciding to dump Joe Dimaggio.

The first time was back in 1996. I was interning for State Rep. Jerry Madden (R-Plano). He was invited to a pregame reception at the Ballpark on Opening Day with tickets to the game. His wife was working that day, so he invited me to go with him since he knew I loved baseball. It was awesome. I met Governor Bush (and his wife and skanky daughters), Congressmen Sam Johnson, Dick Armey, and Pete Geren. I also met several state reps and senators. For a 19-year-old dork, that was a big deal, and Jerry Madden was and is a great guy. Most politicians shove their staff (especially interns) aside at these kinds of events so that they get all the glory and attention. He never did that. He was always quick to introduce us to important people and tell them how important we were to what he did and usually gave us more credit than we deserved.

However, the big highlight was meeting Ryan, who had been my hero for years. However, I was initially afraid to approach him. Madden told me he had met him a few times at other events and that he was very approachable and friendly, but I felt like a nervous child meeting his hero. (Strangely, I wasn't intimidated to meet all the political figures.) It wasn't until the end that I pulled together the guts to approach him, and it was just as Ryan was about to leave. I realized that this might be the only chance I would ever get, and I'll never forget what I said. I told him, "Mr. Ryan, you've given me a lot of great baseball memories that I'll never forget, and I just want to shake your hand and say 'thank you.'" He shook my hand and thanked me for the kind words. He also had his picture taken with me and my boss and autographed my entrance ticket. It was great.

• Like Like x 9
  17. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Everything I've heard about Nolan confirms that he is a nice guy. But I prefer to remember him for this:

That was epic.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Same here.
    Same here.

• Hot Hot x 1
  19. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Literally, a "cool story bro".

Ryan sounds awesome. I'm sure Robin Ventura would agree.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

OU,

The Rangers used to show that video during breaks in the game. If I remember correctly, Nolan Ryan asked them to stop showing that when he was in the Rangers front office. I was told that he and Robin Ventura got along after that incident and Nolan saw no reason to replay it over and over. (Still an awesome video though)

I might be wrong but that was my understanding.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

uta
    I think you are right and it would be in keeping with Nolan"s character
    But the fans loved seeing it

22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Ventura was an OSU guy so Sooners liked it a little more. One of my old roomies would start trying to show everyone the Ryan headlock if he got REAL drunk. The same guy who threw a chair threw the neighboring fraternity house dining room window twice on the same night. Good times.

23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Now, now...that was just a simple disagreement. The gentleman from the South was restating his point about ownership of the area around home plate. An objection was raised by the interloper from the North. Point of order was called and the matter was resolved in due course...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Nothing like a few knots on yer noggin' to give you an attitude adjustment!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I heard the same thing. People forget that was back in 1993. There was bad blood for awhile, but both of them were generally decent men and buried the hatchet several years ago. Furthermore, I don't think Ryan thought it was fair that to many, Ventura's career was defined by one bad moment when he was a very accomplished player - one of the best third baseman of his generation. It's a little Bill Buckner being defined by the ball rolling through his legs in the '86 World Series. It wasn't fair.

26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Man, I never met Nolan Ryan....:idk:...but the guy who built his house in Georgetown (i don't think he still owns it) built mine. :smokin: And he was a crook and not a good person at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

I saw Ventura and Buckner play and always felt that both were defined by one play. Fairly or unfairly, that happens when you are on TV. I was watching that night against the Mets and knew he would never live that down.

When I played softball for a company team I had an EASY ball jump over my shoulder in the outfield leading a run being scored. I felt bad but nothing like if it had been televised to millions.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. Poor Buckner, he's cemented in the popular culture for one lousy play. In a game at the park, one of our guys missed an easy catch and some wise a$$ on the other side belted out "Nice grab Buckner!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

uta
    BUT now that WE know you will never live it down

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  30. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

I guess that means I won't be on the Hornfans softball team?

• Funny Funny x 2