MNF & Damar Hamlin

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by George Bailey, Jan 2, 2023.

1. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Painful and terrible to watch. Millions and millions are praying for this young man.

Game is suspended, as if that matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

They had to use an AED. (Defibrillator)

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Been through one of these with HS player when my daughter was n HS. Kid was normal when he came off the field, then suddenly collapsed. Fortunately, the referee was an RN/BSN surgical nurse; HL was an MD psychiatrist; orthopedic surgeon in the stands. They lost the kid EIGHT times on the field. I called Jim Duke and told him I needed the bird NOW. He asked if I had called John, and I said as soon as you hang up. I called John Jones and told him Jim was sending the bird and we needed him at Herman. John met me outside the ER, took me to a corner away from everyone, and said, " I want you prepared. We save maybe 1 in a hundred of these, and maybe one in a thousand walk away normal. I'll see you in a few hours." About 345 John resurfaced and told me he had done all he could, now I needed to get everyone to pray. That was 345 Saturday morning.

I went to Hermann ICU Sunday night expecting the kid to be unconscious with lots of wires and tubes. What I found was a kid out of bed, sitting in a chair watching NFL football. He went home that Wednesday and back to school a week later. Never a problem since. People, PRAYER WORKS!

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Watching live it looked like a normal play. No neck injury at all. The way he fell though was like he had been knocked out in the ring. 9 minutes of CPR... I fear he suffered a heart attack. I pray they have revived him but the longer we go without an update the more I fear the worst.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The one I referenced above was an aneurism

7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

From a source. Don’t know how he knows this:

“Heart went into Ventricular Fibrillation, then blood pressure dropped seconds later.”

8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

More:

“If they get it restarted, he should be ok.”

All we can do is pray.

9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

[Political comment removed. Start a West Mall thread about this if you want.]

• poop poop x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2023
  10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

11. 2003TexasGrad

They did yes.

12. horninchicago

[Political comment removed. Start a West Mall thread about this if you want.]

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2023
  13. horninchicago

Interestingly, a search has not yielded a video of this. A friend told me it was not a hit to the chest. A hit under the chin, rather.

14. 2003TexasGrad

• Like Like x 1
  15. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

I could tell immediately by the urgent way the Bill’s trainers and doctors were on him fast that this was a very serious medical event.
    CPR and AED applied for minutes, my guess is a serious cardiac event.
    Prayers to him and his family.

16. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I just put Damar Hamlin in my prayer journal.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 6
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

That could be GREAT news. Let’s hope so…

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 5
  20. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Thank you for the updates, will pray for best outcome!

• Like Like x 2
  21. 2003TexasGrad

This is already fantastic news.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I actually think it was a hit in the chest (upper left side). Pure speculation on my part, but I'd imagine a forceful hit to the heart area can cause some type of arrythmia?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Been following this since it happened. Hopefully, the young man recovers and can live a long and happy life. I’ll keep him and his family in my prayers.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Saw this on Reddit from someone thinking the same thing:

"ER resident here. I suspect he had something we call Commotio Cordis. This is an arrhythmia that happens due to blunt force trauma to the chest. The sudden collapse suggests this.

This is best outcome for him given that, in that it was a witnessed collapse with CPR immediately administered. Praying for him and the family."

I found a couple of links a bit ago but they were, understandably, taken down.

25. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

prayers for that youngman and his family

26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Turned game on around 9:15 expecting it to be halftime or start of the third and was just horrified. In another life I was a high school referee in El Paso and while I wasn't there that night, we did have a kid die during warm ups at a game our association covered (untouched just had a heart defect and it picked that time to kill him). I remember talking to some of the crew and what a awful feeling that is because you just feel like it is so random and cruel. Those memories came flooding back last night along with Hank Gathers, Flo Hyman and other famous athletes who just dropped from various heart issues. Praying for this kid and his family and thankful that medical advances are such that they were able to provide such immediate care and get him to ICU with a chance for life.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

This and the Ex Jacksonville Jaguar who died at 38 from a heart attack on Friday. Tough days for the sports world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Skip Bayless questioned how you could postpone a game this lste in the season. He may not have meant it like many took it
    But he is getting blasted on social media.

• Like Like x 1
  29. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I was wondering the same thing--thinking maybe they could play the rest of the game Wednesday daytime and then move the two teams' final games to Sunday night?? (P.S. I cannot stand Skip Bayless) ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Skip Bayless is a self-serving lowlife. An embarrassment to his profession, which is really saying something. He embodies what ESPN wants: A controversial POS that attracts eyeballs. I have watched him for a total of about one minute in the past 15 years.