modern day version of the 1990 UH game???

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by orangecat1, Oct 1, 2012.

1. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

top ten team, night game, unstoppable offense, Heisman candidate.

Y'all need to crank up the volume in Austin Saturday night.

Only question, will the D be able to tackle?

2. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

"Somebody get that idiot off the goalpost!"

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Would be nice to have a repeat of that night. [​IMG]

4. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

5. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

'modern day version' -- I speak for everyone who was a student at that game -- "OUCH!"
    LOL -- I get your point though and I agree with you! [​IMG]

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Not the same because UH had been handing our asses to us with regularity prior to that game

7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah we don't have any bad blood or ire aimed at WVU. I'm guessing it'll be a fairly typical DKR crowd. Loud at points and just kind of ho-hum whenever the team isn't performing well.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It’s a pretty good comparison, another key difference being that Texas is highly ranked this time while we were not in 1990, and we are not a clear underdog in this game.

But this is a great high profile matchup and I hope our crowd—and our team—responds as it did back then. I am really excited about our chances, and these are the kinds of games that tell us a lot about how good our team is.

9. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

How many of you expected this to be a matchup of top 10 ranked teams, when it was announced that they would be joining the B12 and we were to play at home first? I hope everyone in attendance helps make it a memorable experience! [​IMG]

10. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

11. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

I like the comparison and here's why. I was at the 90 game. IT was the "shock the nation tour" and we were looking for a signature win following crappy seasons for several years.
    So "no" we aren't coming off a bad streak of 5 years (85-89) but "yes" we are looking for a signature win to announce offically "we're back."

If we don't win in 90 then we don't catapolt into the top 5, and if we don't win this year then we have a very short stint in the top 10.

12. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

I'll be doing my part [​IMG]

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

This is not the same. Besides the fact Houston had been beating our asses, they were trying to hang a hundred on SMU one or two weeks before. There was a huge build up before the game with most thinking it would probably be a loss. I was lucky enough to have 50 yd line first row tickets right behind the UH bench. I verbally went toe to toe with a backup back named Woods and still feel fortunate that at some point he didn't jump in the stands and kick my ***. Around the start of the fourth quarter he looked at me and shrugged his shoulders and I knew they had given up. With about five minutes left in the game I was standing on the sidelines around the 30. I miss the days of being able to go on the field after games and mingle with players.

14. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

Greatest sports moment of my life. People were LOSING THEIR MINDS.
    I fully expected Guadalupe to burn that nite.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What made the Houston game possible was David Klingler's temper and his verbal abuse of his teammates. We knew that David didn't like to be hit and would totally lose it if he got hit hard and often. Someone told the DC that it would be worth a couple of personal foul penalties to get Klingler to "blow up". Didn't take long and he was never very affective thereafter.

Klingler is a good guy, but had a really short fuse back then.

I don't think you'll see those traits in Geno Smith.

16. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

Actually, there are many parallels to that 1990 Houston game.

1990 going into that game, we were ranked 14th. UH was ranked 3rd.
    2012 going into this game, we are ranked 9 - 11th. WVU is ranked 7th, 8th.

1990 - Our true sophomore quarterback, the year before as a true freshman threw more interceptions than touchdowns.
    2012 - Our true sophomore quarterback, the year before as a true freshman threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

1990 - Opposing quarterback was a Heisman contender
    2012 - Opposing quarterback was a Heisman contender

1990 - Opposing quarterback threw for an obscene number of touchdowns in one game (11 !) [granted, after the Texas game]
    2012 - Opposing quarterback threw for an obscene number of touchdowns in one game.

1990 - Houston's head coach was the offensive coordinator at UH where he developed their run and shoot offense into what was initially considered an unstoppable offense.
    2012 - WVU's head coach was the offensive coordinator at UH where he developed their offense into one of the most prolific in NCAA history

Both games to be played at night in Austin before a national audience.

Both of UT's head coaches have implored the crowd/fans/alums to arrive and make noise.

1990 - Butch Hadnot was having a break out season as a running back.
    2012 - Brown/Gray having break out seasons?

Finally, I was there in Section 7U in 1990. I will be there in Section 7U in 2012. And yes, the crowd that night in 1990 was the loudest I have ever heard in Austin.

17. SmartChicOlena

SmartChicOlena 100+ Posts

I think this game will be a lot like the Tech game a few years back, -- the year when Tech faked "taking the knee" at the end of the first half and threw the ball into the end zone. Problem was, the fake was so good it fooled the refs and they blew the whistle on it. Leach was livid.

In the end, the faster D will carry the day. For all our faults, we do have speed on D. They will score on us, but I think we can score more. I say we win, 45-40.

18. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

That '90 UH game was awesome. Best environment for a UT game in DKR that I've been to. I still think the '90 OU game was the best overall.