Moody Center

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by fkubacak, Mar 1, 2022.

1. fkubacak

fkubacak 100+ Posts

Talk about a price increase for the new arena. Doing away all grandfathered ticket holders now required to make a substantial gift donation to buy seats in the new arena. Also deposits due right after football signup also. Could definitely affect attendance but who knows. I’m sure this is going to ruffle many feathers!!

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Pay up or watch on TV. That is the bottom line, and I am OK with it. The fewer blue-hairs who sit silently during a basketball game, the better.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I looked several times and never saw a section for "the golf clap crowd" or the honor graduates of the Mack Brown Clapping Class

• Like Like x 2
  4. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

I don't understand all this since the university isn't paying for the new facility. Also attendance hasn't been great. I agree that more students will likely make the place louder.. We will see if their new business model holds. It sounds like I may be watching from home.

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Based on where the team benches are, the TV camera is going to be largely fixed on the students.

Looks like the price points are actually cheaper than the Erwin ones for new ticket holders at least. I got put in my place years ago for saying that football needed to revamp the system and stop having 1960s prices for grandfathered loyalty (as if you're going to change college affiliations to stick it to us), but it's easier to pull off with basketball. Fewer people are THAT invested in it.

6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I fully acknowledge I never got my degree. But, I could afford to go to these games if I lived there. Are most on this board not graduates of UT? Does a degree not bring forth a great career such that the cost of this is nominal?

I'm confused.

7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I tried to look up starting and mid-career salaries for graduates of Wymxn's Studies and similar programs, but my search ended in failure. So apparently there are at least some degrees from UT Austin that aren't worth the paper they were printed on.

• poop poop x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

That is a whole other discussion on what college has become. But, I just never understand the gnashing of teeth over the cost of attending games at a high profile university. Like you said above, stay home and watch on TV if you need to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

SN,

My dad told me, "Son, your mother and I are going to spend a lot of money to get you a piece of paper that gets you a job. The outfit that hires you will then spend a lot more money providing you with an education."

• Like Like x 3
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It’s time to put The Moody Blues back together. They can be the opening concert act at The Moody Center.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

What are the advantages that the Moody Center has over the FEC?

12. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

#1: Not so many empty seats.
    #2. It's on campus.
    #3. It's 11:55 & ou still sux.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

The #1 advantage I can't confirm because I haven't been in it is that it is supposed to be similar to old school basketball arenas. Much smaller than the drum and fans on top of the court giving us an actual home court advantage if its full.

#2 is smaller capacity will generate demand. When tickets are harder to get there is natural higher demand meaning more fans on average. The downside to that is its much more expensive to get tix to big games although I believe that's also a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange < 25 Posts

I'm sure you're right, which would seem to argue for a new, smaller football stadium as well. Or at least taking out the upper decks.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

#4. The football program doesn't play there

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Great Idea! But, Graeme Edge and Ray Thomas are dead. The remainder of the guys, Lodge, Penders and Hayward, might could put something together. Hell! I'd make the trip to see them. As long as it's not some group like The Archies, I'd probably make the trip.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Amen. So very true back then (was that in the 20th or the 19th century Sabre?) and even more true today.

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

In the Texas basketball final four run hay day we could only fill up the drum 75% max unless it was OU. We win 10 games next year and the football stadium will be full every game.

Apples and oranges and a very bad comparison.

19. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I got the paper and a great education, which is what I went there for. Then I went into the world, learned how to make a good living and did. I never thought of the place as a trade school. For over 40 years I have been dropping equal amounts on the LHF and the Ransom Center.
    When I was in school we won 30 games in a row.

That is why so many of us old guys keep coming back.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

22. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Those ceiling panels look really cheap in that picture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Apparently they didn't show it on the tour, but for most games, they're going to use them as sort of a projection screen for a giant ribbon board.

24. 2003TexasGrad

I guess we will see. At this point I'd rather not have them.

25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Aren't those to hide additional seating? Its like 5,000 more seats for other events.

26. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Going to see John Mayer there tonight and can’t wait to check it out.

• Like Like x 1
  27. 2003TexasGrad

Yeah but unless the video board thing discussed is really badass it just looks tacky.

28. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Early thoughts on the initial Moody Center experience after John Mayer:

- The acoustics were strong. There was a lot of crowd talk between songs but when the band played it was all you heard, and you heard lyrics and instruments clearly for a venue this size.

- The design and layout is nice. very intimate. Aesthetically I liked the look.

- The big white panels that cover the upper level for basketball we’re obviously up for the concert and just looked like part of the ceiling design. Curious to see how they look, and what they do with them, in person.

- The numbering is confusing, in that section numbers aren’t posted but rather the “portal” numbers are. Portals are the spots where you enter the arena and they don’t coincide with the section numbers, meaning we went through portal 8 to get to section 114. Once you get it you’re fine, but at first we were like “huh?”

- Concession prices are high, but they are everywhere these days I guess and not nearly as high as that dump in Arlington where the Cowboys play. Options were good and most have self checkout which made the process fly by - minimal lines and no wait.

Overall the kinks were small and expected, and I liked it. I’ll try to add some photos later.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

In the pictures I've seen I find the sunken floor very odd. What was that like in person?

30. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

For basketball, there are still 10 more rows on the sidelines. It'll make the "sunken" effect minimized once there's actual hardwood out there.

It'll be interesting to see what the rationale is for opening up the mezzanine seating. And how that would work for tickets. Like... we go 3-15 in conference and no one shows up for the game against KSU to close out the season... do they just keep the top sealed off and move everyone down? I assume they won't even sell those seats for women's games.

• Agree Agree x 1