More Staff Changes??

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by vzhorn, Jan 9, 2008.

1. vzhorn

vzhorn 25+ Posts

Saw on the AAS that there could be more staff changes. Rucker might get the HS football director job??? Is this a new position on the staff? Suggestions on his replacement? Also, Akina is a possibility for Hawaii. His possible replacement? Would Muschamp take over the DBs and hire someone for the LBs?

2. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Does this put Orgeron back into play for us?

3. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Wasn't Rucker limited in what he could contribute this past season due to health problems? I believe he is battling cancer and may not have the strength to do both. Sorry if my memory is incorrect.

4. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

5. vzhorn

vzhorn 25+ Posts

The reason I mentioned the Muschamp to DB is that I thought that is what he coached at AU as well as DC. Not sure though. Any help out there on this??

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

7. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

8. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

Did mack not say this position WASN"T created for a current coach?

9. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I had the same surgery as Rucker. They remove the cancerous prostate and after about three months I could do anything I want. (well almost) I don't believe that health is an issue unless there were complications I did not hear about.

10. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

11. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

Mack wanted the position 2 years ago, so i dont think the position was created for a current coach. i think once a opening was there, Mack felt that Coach Rucker was the best option. I think he is very good and appropriate for this position. He seems like a great fit there and someone that will help keep our guys in line.

12. Roy4President

Roy4President 100+ Posts

How does this affect our Running Backs?

13. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

We have a offensive position opening.
    1. someone outside the program can come in and coach RBs.
    2. Switch a current off. position coach to coach RBs and have another off. position coach slot open. if we do this option i think the only 2 possible guys are Chambers (TEs/recruiting coordinator) or Kennedy (WRs).

14. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

15. ed teach

ed teach 100+ Posts

I haven't seen it discussed, but to what extent can this new position interact with our team in practice. Will he still be able to attend practice and give advice to our RBs or is he limited to interacting with the HS coaches and players?
    I am somewhat surprised by this move given the success that Rucker has had as a RB coach.
    He will be one of the harder position coaches to replace. I thought that Bruce Chambers was the man for this job, I also believe he was a Texas high school football coach (Carter) before he came to UT. He also currently is our recruiting coordinator.

16. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

Rucker will not allowed to have any access to practice other than to watch and pat kids on the back like Cleve Bryant.

17. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I had the same thing just over five years ago Olehornfan. Fortunately I work in an office so I was able to come back to work fairly soon and didn't life anything heavy. I was fortunate in that I was monitored before it came and when it finally came it was in the early stages.

I urge everyone to get check ups regularly especially if you are in your mid forties or up. A lot of things they can cure and control if they are found out early. Your physician should know what tests are needed. I am very fortunate indeed.

Please do not negleck your medical check ups. This goes for everyone no matter what your age.

18. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

In Kirk Bohls blog entry yesterday on Major coming back, he said that Major was willing to coach QBs, RBs or WRs to come back to Texas.
    The Link

19. Trilla

Trilla 25+ Posts

vzHorn,

You are correct, Muschamp did also coach the secondary at Auburn. So maybe he will hire a LB coach.

20. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

What other good RB coaching nominees are there?

21. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Muschamp coached LBs when he was at LSU.

22. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Defensive staff...Coach Tolle coaches linemen, defensive ends stays as it is, bring Orgeron in to coach linebackers, and Muschamp coordinates and coaches db's. There's a really good defensive staff.

23. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

...of course, that's ONLY if Akina leaves, which I really don't want to see. He's a great db's coach.

24. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

I hate all of the Akina bashing. He had a poor year as the #1 defensive coach. Previously, his string of NFL and Thorpe Award winning DB's tells me he knows how to coach the secondary. He didn't forget how to in one season. He took a promotions. He took his lumps. We should be impressed that it didn't crush his ego and he was willing to step back down to the role he excels in.

25. anotherwebexpert

anotherwebexpert 100+ Posts

Horn fans do not want Ed Orgeron around this program. The guy is certifiably nuts. Mack can find guys who are highly competitive and good recruiters without the baggage Orgeron would bring to Austin.

26. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Since most of the posters on this board believe they can coach college football, they will be interested in the information for the assistant coaching position.
    The Link

Does Major Applewhite meet the five year coaching experience requirement?

27. Section Three

Section Three < 25 Posts

Akina can teach defensive backs. Really well, as has been
    shown. His weakness has been strategy/play calling and
    that, too, has been shown. That may keep him from being
    hired as a head coach and keep him here as a teacher.
    We'll see.

28. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

if major didnt, he would get an exemption.

29. palmetto-horn

palmetto-horn 25+ Posts

Akina isn't a teacher of dbs he is a Professor.

Though DC isn't tops in his skill set. Developing top-shelf DBs is.

When you consider the All-Americans, Thorpe Award winners and NFL players he's coached, if he's not the best db coach in the country, it sure doesn't take long to call the roll.

30. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

I'm totally sending my resume in for that job opening. I have extensive experience as a viewer of college football and successfully won back-to-back BCS championships on my Playstation. I think I'm a perfect fit.