Most Glaring Areas of Concern From This Season

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Dec 30, 2022.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

For me, the four most glaring areas of concern are:

1) Defense cannot get off the field on 3rd and/or 4th down

2) Pre-snap offensive penalties

3) Zero intermediate to long passing game (drops not withstanding)

4) Lack of halftime adjustments by the coaching staff

• Like Like x 1
  2. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The failure of the band to play loudly or at all when the opponent is driving towards their end of the field in our bowl game last night was noticeable.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Where were the cheerleaders? :idk:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

5) No kisses!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Texadelphia

Texadelphia 1,000+ Posts

A dedicated, focused, aggressive OC that is solely tasked with developing and adjusting a pre-game strategy with the ability to make in-game adjustments.

• Like Like x 3
  6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

The OL improved a lot but still has a lot of work to get to where it needs to be
    The defense improved a lot but still has a lot of work to get to where it needs to be
    The RB room loses two incredible talents and needs to find replacements
    The WR room has talent but lacks consistency
    The QB position has talent but also needs consistency

Overall this year saw a change in culture and program wide improvement but there is still a lot of growth needed and next year will be the Rubicon to see if what Sark is trying to do is actually happening. If Texas crosses that Rubicon then the next several years could be early to mid 2000's kind of fun, if not its just more of the same from last 12 years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

1. Sark in-game coaching very poor. Not pulling players, terrible clock management, not making adjustments at half.

Just that alone cost us the Okie State and TCU game. The bowl game was winnable but he burned time at the end, not realizing the clock still runs when you are out of bounds until the 2 minute mark.

8-5 is just too poor here, with all the money/resources, but he’ll get one more year and he better do better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Well, there’s no question that Sark and everyone with functional eyes knows our deep passing game is anemic. And it’s not all QE’s fault. We must find receivers who are not afraid to scrum for the ball and go get it.
    We must find a D line man who can shed blocks.

If Ford is back next year it will immeasurably help Hill. And Hill, if he’s up to his press releases, will make Ford better . Opposition offenses will have problems neutralizing them both at once.
    I feel pretty good about the DB’s. They are very young and very fast and they show great aggressiveness.
    I want to see Malik get a shot at QB. Speed and athleticism can go along way. As we all know.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I thought this was a Horn Fans critique thread.

Never mind...

:coolnana:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sark’s play calling got worthyless open twice—one for walk in td and he drops both. I think Sark’s play calling was sufficient to win the game—had worthyless just been average.
    When the receivers get here next year—Johntay and the transfer from Wyoming who got hurt in preseason drills— worthyless can go to the bench. And get Sanders more involved in the game. Sark could study how Andy Reid schemes routes for TE Travis Kelci.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Don’t forget the 4th and 1 where Ewers missed an open Worthy that was a likely TD

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If you watch the highlights from the 2001 Holiday Bowl, BJ and Roy didn’t drop passes and caught balls that should have been incomplete or intercepted. Add in a solid ground game, and that’s the difference between then and last night.

• Like Like x 2
  13. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

did I miss something or did we get chinglayed out of half a minute or so near the end when they let the clock run after an incompletion? Maybe just my paranoid irritation at the jackazz behind me but I was really at a loss to explain why the clock kept running.

14. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

On the bright side, my 8 year old granddaughter went to her first football game ever, had to be dragged into the car, whined all 140 miles from Corpus, tried to stay in the car when we got there and then had a great time after the noise started. She traded smack talk with a retired school teacher from Washington that everybody there thought was hilarious and afterwards asked me if she could come back from LA next year to go to the games in Austin

So, yes, I had a real enjoyable game.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Yes I saw that too.

16. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

In fairness to Sark, we need to set clear expectations. We asked for halftime adjustments, and we got them. In the first half, six or seven defenders crowded the line and bounced around until the snap. Penix was flustered for the entire half. After halftime, we lined up with 3 or 4 on the line pretty consistently and they just stood there, letting Penix settle into a rhythm.

If we want effective adjustments, we need to say so. Stark has every reason to complain that we are moving the goal posts on him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

New rules. Only stops under 2 minutes. It was made to counter the hurry up offense that made games run long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Sark was clueless of the new rules, which I believe have been around for awhile. I knew them and I don’t get 6 million to know them.

19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yep. Most people are used to the NFL rule where the clocks stops under 5 minutes when you go out of bounds in the 4th quarter.

20. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I guess they didn’t like my idea to speed up the game by limiting the number and lengths of television commercial timeouts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Horn hubby

Horn hubby 500+ Posts

The Holiday bowl their freshman year they dropped some game winners…. I don’t remember the year. (Might not have been the holiday bowl. It’s been awhile)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah I think that was it. Each dropped an end zone td. One right after the other. It was quite amazing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

The yards after contact were abysmal.

• Hot Hot x 1
  24. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Ja’Tavion Sanders now has the most catches by a Texas TE in a single season in program history (54).

— Alex Loeb (@SpanningTheLoeb) December 30, 2022

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Only if worthy catches it. Just as easily could drop it. Worthy’s focus and desire and willingness to fight for the ball are MIA.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Worthy did catch 7 of 8 under 20 air yards.

Lots of frustration with Worthy, but that miss on 4th and 1 should have been 6. So it was 1 missed TD for Worthy and 1 for Ewers.

Worthy is frustrating, but you don’t want that guy to leave if he works hard and is a team guy. His ability to get open in the short game is a rare commodity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

My main area of concern...

Sark's feels iffy on a segment of our team's game and overcompensates.

WTF didn't Bijan get more carries last year and in our losses? Sark is naturally a QB's coach.

Sark felt iffy about Card in the pocket. He leaves Ewers in for every play, even when he was missing the broad side of a barn and should have been pulled to watch and calm down.

Sark loses Bijan and Roschon in the A-bowl and isn't confident in the Oline. So he abandons the run.

I don't like that he seems to not stay the course, have balance, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Horn hubby

Horn hubby 500+ Posts

I’ve decided Sark knew Card was gonna transfer in the middle of the season and just decided to give Ewers more playing time win or lose. It seems to me he just decided to use this year as a learning year for his future QB. Me personally, I’d have rather won another game or two…. Maybe it will pay off in the future.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Others have said that hubby but I cannot wrap my head around a coach not doing everything to win. Yet I cannot explain some of his calls either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'd rather won another game or two as well. Leave development for practice and the offseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1