Most Glaring Areas of Concern From This Season

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Some coach once said that coaches are hired to win now, not next year and that there is a quick expiration date on forgiveness for bad seasons.

IF Sark made the decision to sacrifice games this year to develop QE for next year that's a very dumb reason. What if he tears a ligament in fall practice? There's no guarantee QE will be the QB next year and we have not one other QB with any real college experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I like Sark telling the players “here is the game plan - up to you to execute it”. Don’t expect coaches to bail you out with gimmick plays, etc.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. odehorn

odehorn < 25 Posts

I betcha the dislike was a butter fingers

• Like Like x 1
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Problem is his young QB doesn't arrive on campus until late this week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Still is offensive line! It is what it is now with young talent but to lose lose Karic and Angelou to the portal sucks! We are 2 deep now with redshirt freshman and true sophomores with more freshman coming in.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

I tend to agree with this, however, next year they’ll have a season under their belts and we should see improvement (though rt tackle will be a crapshoot). Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I am inclined to boil the question down to one game: TCU.

By mid season the defense had come on and had become a force. The first half performance against TCU was off the charts. The D was not the issue.

The issue was that a bull-headed Sark was either unwilling or unable to adjust his mindset and play-calling when it was obvious that the script wasn’t working. If the opposing D has taken away the run game (which TCU did), the answer is not to throw long passes. The answer — and what he did in the 2nd half against Washington — is to go with a ball control passing strategy. (See Ohio State last night.) It is not to throw a bomb every third play.

So to be clear, my number one area of concern is Sark’s playcalling, and his inability to adjust.

We had the players in 22, and in 23 we will again have the players. It’s all about how he chooses to use them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sark is my glaring area of concern by far, due to his in game decisions.
    I hope Manning dazzles but that is doubtful. I can see our defense rattling Manning in spring and fall camps.
    I say that Ewers completion percentage will be much better next season. But will he develop the "it" which translates to Xtra wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Most glaring? Easy. Inconsistent QB play and play calling. Not moving forward until those two are corrected. Period.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We failed to name the defense.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Texadelphia

Texadelphia 1,000+ Posts

100% my first thought. Sark can and should be involved in the play development - cuz he’s damn good at it - but in game play calling is an issue and most (not all) successful offensive programs have a dedicated OC who does nothing but focus on putting points in the board. That to me is the biggest, most glaring gap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Banks, Huston and Campbell are going to be Mc nasty next year on OL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 250+ Posts

It normally takes 2-3 years to rebuild an offensive line. Let’s hope we have only ONE year left of mediocrity

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I believe that the O-line was passable when Sark took over, in 21. Neither an asset or a liability. Mediocre.

I would term it as proficient this past year. Not great. Acceptable though.

In 23, I expect for the OL to be a very good unit, pushing a B+ grade. By mid year, a force to reckoned with.

And by 24, I believe that the OL could be elite. There is simply too much talent at the position for there not to be a few more breakthroughs, like #78.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. everette

everette 250+ Posts

Hutson, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Colt Hudson?:beertoast:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Texadelphia

Texadelphia 1,000+ Posts

More tattoos. I think our team cohesiveness and cultural connectedness would benefit the W column. Need a charter jet to Olangapo City to get some sleeves.

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's Colt McHudson to you, sir.

19. everette

everette 250+ Posts

Olongapo is very different these days!

20. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

I can't pinpoint one most glaring weakness. I really thought we were average in just about every area: pass rush, pass coverage, stopping the run, running the ball, pass offense. Our inability to get the defense off the field on 3rd down is what sticks in my mind the most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Texadelphia

Texadelphia 1,000+ Posts

32 years ago for me in the way to Desert Storm. Thought I’d need a liver transplant if I stayed one more day.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 250+ Posts

the return game was average as was the punting, Running into the punter twice may have cost us a game. Play calling was average and creative plays below average. Kicker was excellent

23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Amending my earlier post on this thread.
    1) Getting consistency from the qb position was the most glaring weakness. However, I believe that is certainly going to happen next season, most probably with Ewers. He learned a lot. Maybe the game will slow down for him. If it's Manning then he must be really good!
    2) Sark was a glaring weakness at times. Sometimes upperclass favoritism was an issue but also not playing Card over the overwhelmed Ewers cost us a couple of games, IMO.
    Lack of deception in the offensive scheme was a hindrance also. I am certain some trick plays would have been effective like a Roschon pass for example. I remember Worthy throwing a pass for a td. Keep the defense honest or they will cheat. upstair coaching are always looking for tendencies in offenses and if we rarely use a trick play then their Defense will cheat.
    3) I wish we would get an OC. He could call plays and Sark would have time to rally the players and get on officials butts for missed calls and such. I like using the hurry up offense, keeps defense off balance.

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Receiving was way too top heavy. Backs got involved at times, but generally it was Worthy, Whittington, and Sanders from the WR and TE spots and that's it.

25. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Portal success. I dont know exact numbers, but it seems well below 50%. For example, 4 WRs last year and next to nothing out of them. I'll give you Neyor got hurt, but you expect a bit more than what Milton delivered. I am considering the pass catching TE from Bama as a WR. Although as he was basically non-existent: who cares.