Most Impressive Big 12 Team?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Ajo Macho, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Who you got?

In order of preseason media poll, somewhat-or-more impressive results in bold:

OU: Loss to #15 Houston, 23-33
    TCU: Win over South Dakota State, 59-41. Was 45-41 with 9:00 in 4th quarter
    OSU: Win over Southeastern Louisiana, 61-7
    Baylor: Win over Northwestern State, 55-7
    Texas: Win over #10 Notre Dame, 50-47, in 2OT

Texas Tech: Win over Stephen F Austin, 69-17
    West Virginia: Win over Missouri, 26-11

Kansas State: Loss to #8 Stanford, 13-26
    Iowa State: Loss to Northern Iowa, 20-25
    Kansas: Win over Rhode Island, 55-6

OSU, Baylor, and Tech all took care of business against inferior opponents. It's not impressive simply to beat the likes of Northwestern State or Stephen F Austin, but doing so in near-perfect fashion is still something (better than TCU, anyway).
    Texas, of course, had the most impressive win in terms of quality of opponent.
    Don't overlook WVU's win - Mizzou ain't a bad team, and WVU won the game start-to-finish, despite losing the turnover battle 3-1. It was 26-3 with less than two minutes to go.

Based on one game, who would you say is the team to beat in the Big 12?
    I want to say Texas, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. We won at home, in 2OT, and it's not like Notre Dame has never been overrated before. Don't get me wrong - this win was big! - but it's unclear if after one game, we're suddenly the best in the Big 12.

My vote goes to OSU for now, but it looks wide open...

2. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Big 12 looks wide open. I expect a lot of high scoring games. In November casual fans wont be able to tell which scores are basketball and which scores are football.

3. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

When push comes to shove, Okie State may be the best - but we'll see after the games are played; it's s bit early to crown a king after one game.

4. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I just wonder how the other Big12 teams would have fared against ND.

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Or...Houston. :smile1:

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Or...Rhode Island?

7. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Texas, OU, West Virginia, Kansas State and Iowa State are the only ones who played quality opponents.. Texas and West Virginia won, so they are the only two contenders for most impressive so far.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not taking away from the WVa win, but you might want to tap the brakes a little on Mizzou. The SEC East is equivalent to the bottom half of the Big XII, and Mizzou isn't the best team in that division.

9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

UNI is a quality opponent? You may want to tap the brakes there. If we don't slaughter ISU this year Charlie does need to be fired.

Looks like the B12 is wide open this year, but I've learned to never make a season assessment after 1 game. I do know we're going to have a tough time beating OU, OSU, possibly UWV and I'm not sure we can outscore Tech on the road. Don't know about TCU yet, but I expected them to take a step back.

10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think the Horns win over a legit top ten team makes them the most impressive B12 team because their win was the most impressive. I get that this is only one game. So based on a sample of one, which is all we have, then I vote UT.

This can be updated, like power ratings, each week. Over the weeks it will likely shift as our sample size of games played increases.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I don't think there is much doubt that for the 1st week Texas was the most impressive Big12 team.

Big win over a top 10 team.

12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Last year, they were roughly comparable to South Dakota State. This year though, they are undefeated against Power 5 Conference teams.:beertoast: