Movie scenes that freaked you out as a kid

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Craigcito, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Craigcito

Craigcito 250+ Posts

Everyone saw their share of scary movies as a kid whether we should have been allowed to or not.

One scene that I remember really getting to me was in Poltergeist 2 where the guy drank the worm in the tequila, got possessed, and proceeded to vomit out the ghost.

The Link

2. jcdenton

jcdenton 250+ Posts

The final scene in the Fly 2 still gets my vote as the most disturbing I've ever seen.

3. jcdenton

jcdenton 250+ Posts

Now that I think about it, the scene earlier in the movie with the dog (which basically sets up the final scene) is pretty much just as disturbing, if not more. So it's quite possible that The Fly 2 had the two most disturbing movie scenes I've ever seen.

And ironically the MPAA didn't even consider either scene to be the "worst" in the movie, since it was the head-crushing scene which almost caused the movie to get an NC-17 rating.

4. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

The hand coming out of the grave in Carrie.

5. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

I'm a old-timer, so most of y'all won't even be aware of this flick, but when I was a kid I saw a Vincent Price horror movie called "The Tingler". As I recall, the basic premise was that right after death a portion of the dead person's spinal column could be harvested and it would have a life of its own. Lots of scenes where a lobster-like creature (a foot-long piece of spine) would go around strangling people. But the scene that got me was a scene where the black and white movie jumped to Technicolor for about 5 minutes: in a bathroom the tub is filling up with blood. Blood is coming out of the faucet in the sink as well. And if I recall correctly, a hand comes out of the blood-filled tub (a la "Carrie" where a hand comes shooting out of the ground). I was somewhere between 6 and 8 when I saw that...had nightmares for weeks.

6. Bytor

Bytor 100+ Posts

clown scene in Poltergeist.

7. GRhino

GRhino 250+ Posts

There were several scenes in Halloween, but I'll go with the one where the boogey man (Michael Myers) is standing in the yard behind the clothes line when Jamie Lee Curtis looks out the upstairs bedroom window. I don't know why...that scene just spooked me.

And the mini alien popping out of the guys chest in the original Alien movie.

8. longhornfaithful

longhornfaithful 25+ Posts

Star Trek: Wrath of Khan. The scene where they put the bugs into the guys ears. Freaked me out for years.

9. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

The Ring 2 scared the crap out of me.

10. JikabaJikaba

JikabaJikaba < 25 Posts

11. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

the tree scene, clown and guy eating chicken in Poltergeist. the troll suckin the kids breath in Cat's Eye. scarred for a loooong time after watching those!

12. Mr Bean

Mr Bean 100+ Posts

large marge

13. blueglasshorse

blueglasshorse 1,000+ Posts

14. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

15. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

Gage walking to his Dad late in Pet Sematary

16. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

Michael Jackson's Thriller video.

17. h.i. mcdonough

h.i. mcdonough 25+ Posts

The sister with spinal meningitis in Pet Sematary.

18. Blinky

Blinky < 25 Posts

The movie IT, when the clown was hiding in the gutter.

19. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

20. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

Man, some good answers in here. Thriller, Large Marge, Zelda from Pet Sematary are all great answers.

More recently, the scene in The Ring where they open the closet to reveal the dead girl with the gaping mouth and rolled eyes. I saw it in a theater and jumped about 4 feet and yelled JESUS CHRIST. A little embarassing.

The ending to The Mist.

21. TheRoot21

TheRoot21 100+ Posts

god damn tunnel scene on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory

all those damn midgets and flying monkeys in the wizard of oz.

22. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

The guy getting his head blown off in Tom Horn.

23. Alum03

Alum03 250+ Posts

"Fire in the Sky" had me terrified of being abducted for like 5 years.

24. 2feathers

2feathers 250+ Posts

I have to second the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz!

Flying Monkeys

The Wizard of Oz was aired on television annually during the 60's. I remember leaving the room when the flying monkeys appeared; I was 6 or 7.

The Exorcist: when that movie came out there had never been anything like it. They handed out barf bags at the theaters. I was in 7th grade and we sneaked into the drive-in to see it. Scary **** for 1973.

25. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

the movie Communion with the scene where the alien peeks around the door. ****, still freaked out to this day.

26. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

children of the corn (trailer)

had intrusive thoughts of someone killing my parents with power tools/ kitchen appliances for much of childhood because of this movie.

27. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

and pretty much any scene from this classic
    [​IMG]

28. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

the nanny hanging herself at the birthday party in The Omen.

Good grief. Chills.

29. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

My older cousin took me and my sister to see "The Thing" when I was 10. Scared the crap out of me.

30. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Well, I was a big kid, but the end of The Blair Witch Project. Imagination can be scarier than anything they could have put in that scene.

I never saw the movie but I remember the trailer for Amityville Horror scared the bejeezus out of me.