Movie shooting at McCallum HS

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by denchen, Mar 11, 2008.

1. denchen

denchen 100+ Posts

There's been a movie set making itself at home at McCallum High School here in Austin. Since it's Spring Break for the students, they've been there since last weekend and have been there previous weekends. Since some of you seem to have knowledge of these types of things, anyone have an idea of what movie it is? I see barricades with the initials GS.

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

3. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Probably "Will" which has been clogging up campus for a few weeks.
    I know almost nothing about the movie, but it's one of the largest productions I've ever seen on an Austin film. I was running at McCallum a few weeks ago on a sunday and there had to be forty 18 wheelers there.

4. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

I have been trying to figure that out too. They were filming at "Jim's" restaurant a week or 2 ago. It was also GS. Checking the Austin Film Society, I see nothing that is "GS". The two best candidates were either:

“Stop Loss” – Ryan Phillippe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jay Hernandez start in this film of a soldier back home in Texas after fighting in Iraq who refuses to return to battle despite the government mandate requiring him to do so.

or

"Gary the Tennis Coach" - A comedy starring Seann William Scott, directed by Danny Leiner and written by Rick Stempson and Andy Stock. A high school janitor coaches Nebraska kids to the state tennis championship.

Your info makes it sound more like the Seann William Scott movie.

5. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I woud guess it's that Vanessa Hudgens one.

That Seann William Scott one was supposed to finish a while back, right?

Seems like even though we've lost some ground to Louisiana, there are still quite a few films shot here. Any other places in Texas?

6. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

"Will" is a movie about:

A high school outcast's bond with a popular girl over their shared love of music results in them assembling a rock group that looks to win their school's upcoming battle of the bands competition.

Vanessa Anne Hudgens
    Lisa Kudrow
    David Bowie
    Scott Porter
    Alyson Michalka
    Gaelan Connell
    Tim Jo
    Will Johnson
    Elvy Yost

7. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

It's definitely the Hudgens flick. My stepdaughter goes to McCallum and tried to land a walkon role -- didn't succeed.

8. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Another school shooting?!
    Dear God, what is wrong with America?

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

^ [​IMG]

10. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

David Bowie?

the David Bowie?

11. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

12. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

The Sean William Scott movie is in post production right now. It was filmed at McNeil and finished during my senior year at McNeil.

13. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

There was a film crew shooting with a school bus in my Oak Hill neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. Don't know which movie.

14. OakHillHorn

OakHillHorn 100+ Posts

That was a couple of houses down from mine on Abilene Trail. That is for "Will".

15. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

Vanessa is more than welcome to crash at my apartment if she needs a place to stay.