Moving back to Austin area

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by majorwhiteapples, Sep 5, 2012.

1. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Looks like I am moving back to the Austin area, I was looking at Kyle/Buda area, any advice or recommendations?

2. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Yes. FInd a different area of Austin. Remote, nothing to do, bad traffic to/from Austin.
    Oh -- it's flat and treeless as well, and because you're east of 35 in old farmland, the soli is subject to shifting and causing foundation problems.

3. majorwhiteapples

My office in Austin will be in South Austin and my office in SA is in North East of SA. I will have to spend a couple days a week in each office. I am not worried about doing to much during the week, so quiet is nice and usually crime free.

The soil and foundation situation sparks my attention, is that why I am hearing the recommendation to live on the West side of I-35?

4. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Part of it are foundation issues. You should check the soil, but generally there are more issues in the old reclaimed farmland areas (that do not have the limestone base you get a little west of 35). It is also just a pretty dull area with little to do. What about south off of Mopac (e.g. Circle C, Western Oaks, etc.)? Much nicer area, more to do, still easy access to your offices.

5. majorwhiteapples

My Social life/activity schedule will be dedicatd to Weekends and Longhorn events, not worried about the dull weekday life.
    I am also trying to get out of the Taxes in Travis County, Hayes County is much more friendly.

Good to know on the soil, I will definately look into that, thanks.

6. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

West side schools are better, if you have kids.

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I don't know much about the subject, but what about Dripping Springs? Would that be a decent option?

8. majorwhiteapples

Dripping Springs is being looked at, a little west and remote for easy access to Austin and SA.

9. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

I have co-workers/friends that commute from New Braunfels to downtown Austin. As much as they hate the drive, they wouldn't give up living there. It seems about perfect for you as it would be damn near in the middle of both.

10. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

I second New Braunfels - a fine place to live with good schools, restaurants, and other amenities.

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

My sister has a place in Cibolo just south of New Braunfels and has friends that live in NB itself. Two of them commute to Austin and the drive is a breeze. It's all highway miles and takes them about 45 minutes tops. If you live in Round Rock and work in Austin it may take you that anyway. I know that is not where you want to live but tossing it out there as comparison.

And yes, you would be having the best of both worlds going to SA or Austin.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

13. majorwhiteapples

I have looked at all those. Looked really long at Lockhart and New Braunfels. I will be finalizing the decision next week, thanks for all the suggestions.

About the only thing out is San Marcos.

The only scary thing about Lockhart or New Braunfels is when that Tollway does get built up and around in the next 10 years the 85 will go down.

14. valencia

valencia 100+ Posts

We lived west of Brodie and Slaughter Lane. The soil has a lot of rock and there are no foundation problems.

15. majorwhiteapples

Ended up leasing a house in Kyle for a year to get a lay of the land etc....

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

17. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Have you looked at Alpine or Marfa?
    Might not be far enough out for the Austin haters, but nice places to live nevertheless.