MS Office v. X (mac) issue

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by orangebones, Oct 3, 2006.

1. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

my wife has had an iBook for about 5-6 years. it started to deteriorate over the last 6 months or so...still operable, but very frustrating. we had a little extra cash on hand, so we bought her a new macbook. i firewired over some of the old files/settings/applications to save some time, but unfortunately, one of the iBook's flaws came with it. the old iBook ran MS Office. my wife, who is a schoolteacher, uses word often. as the old iBook started its decline, one of the annoying habits it developed was that if you made Word think too much (rainbow spinny thing of death), it would just up and crash (losing all unsaved data). i figured it was a RAM issue, but tonight it did the same thing on my wife's brand-new macbook. does anyone out there have any experience with or suggestions for dealing with this? is it as simple as sucking it up and buying a new version of office, or are there fixes to download? i've always been a PC guy, so mac's are foreign to me. any help would be appreciated.

2. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

I assume you've patched all the old versions of office. v.x.?

3. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

I was going to ask the obvious question but I don't want hijack your thread.

I had a similar problem last week on my PC. I was sending my boss some document files I wrote in Wordperfect 12. He, for reasons that are lost on me, still uses Wordperfect 6. When I save in 12 the save option is 6/7/8/9/10/11/12. So it is compatable with 6, right? Usually it works just fine. The for some reason on line of text would crash his computer when he cut and pasted it. We figured out that the 6.0 did not recognize a font and was converting the entire document to 40,000 font size.

Perhaps it is time to redo those template files from scratch on the new box.

4. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

5. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

thanks for the suggestions, y'all. i'll give these a try later on this evening and get back to you.