Mulkey The Next Texas Coach?

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Hornzupp, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 1,000+ Posts

Please do explain then why Connie Clark still has a job?
    Bobcat, Ellis21d, UTExinPDX and 2 others like this.
  2. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

True...her not being able to keep any coaches with Texas ties crippled us for 5 years...she is still an awesome coach and a lovely person, and I am so sorry she had to put up with the CRAP she got for her whole 5 years..I am sure she would have traded her salary for the ability to keep the Texas Coaches + WIN at Texas!
  3. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

If you aren't allowed to keep the coaches with deep ties in Texas Basketball, you can't really be held responsible..
    it's like having one hand tied behind your back and your feet hobbled as you dribble up the court!
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nor was she responsible for career ending injuries/illnesses to her top players. And she still managed to beat Baylor. :smile1:
    WCBBNUT, skykingtx, JoeDallas and 2 others like this.
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 5,000+ Posts

and Angela Kelly.
  6. Scamp

Scamp 25+ Posts

An utterly opposite story about Coach GG was discussed on a Big 12 fan board: she fired Jody's staff; she refused to do meet & greet sessions with fans; she didn't "get" Texas and didn't try to. :rolleyes:
  7. brnkj

brnkj 250+ Posts

The perfect sacrificial lamb... take one of the top coaches in wbb and cut her recruiting legs out from under her... I've heard this for years, just never spoke on it. Apparently it was never intended for her to succeed and magnify JC's declining last few years.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

agree that none of the previous staff was retained. Disagree with the rest.

Especially about the meet and greet. She kept the post game meetings in the Lone Star Room. She was easy to talk to before and after her weekly show, before and after practices. Some were disappointed and angry that she did not keep all practices open although she did keep a limited number open. Those were provided to those fans that asked about them as Coach Aston does now with the times and dates of practices.

Personally, I found her and find Coach Aston to be a lot more approachable than Coach Conradt was. And, I am sure that a lot of people disagree with how approachable Coach Conradt was.
  9. hornhonker

hornhonker 100+ Posts

Personally glad the GG years are behind us. Whether it was frustration or just her personality, I saw GG behavior towards players that I thought was an anger management problem or, at the least, a really poor example. At the same time I heard staff bad-mouth GG to parents so wasn’t surprised to see changes. All in all, I’m glad we have moved on.
    brnkj likes this.
  10. brnkj

brnkj 250+ Posts

It appears that the GG "era" was one big convoluted mess.

WCBBNUT 1,000+ Posts

Pot meet kettle. Telling a poster what you think of their comment because they told you what they thought of your comment. :tap: This thread :rolleyes1:
    brnkj likes this.

WCBBNUT 1,000+ Posts

She was my friend when she was here but I have lost touch with her. She could have burned the place to the ground on her way out based on what she had to endure, but instead took the high road and took full responsibility for not meeting expectations. She was and is a remarkable coach and person.

She knocked Baylor out of the B12 tournament with a 22 point second half comeback.

She swept Aggie in their final season in the B12.

Those two things alone were worth every penny we paid her.
    BBV_Horn, Malcom, jusme828 and 4 others like this.
  13. brnkj

brnkj 250+ Posts

Please know that when I say convoluted it is NOT being critical of Coach G., but rather her UT "chain of command." I'm pretty sure there was a puppeteer act going on (if ya know what I mean).
  14. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 500+ Posts

I always wonder why this is perceived differently from coach to coach. There doesn't seem to be one constant standard. For example, Pat Summitt was the most "in your face" coaches I have ever seen. But for some reason she is revered for it.
    jusme828 and BabHorn like this.

WCBBNUT 1,000+ Posts

Thanks and I agree.
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 250+ Posts

brnkj likes this.

WCBBNUT 1,000+ Posts

I think it is less about what we see courtside and more about the full program. Summit, Conradt and GG emphasized student and then athlete, knowing that basketball was not a final destination but rather a gateway to a successful life. GG had all her players reading biographies of world leaders and champions for instance.

Research some of the things former players say about Mulkey. Many like her and many don’t, but one thing is for sure - she cares about what you do on the court and not about what you might need off the court. Mulkey herself has not used the sport to expand her world experience. She doesn’t do that for her players either. What you see is what you get indeed. Glad we aren’t getting it.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  18. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

In reference to the lawsuit alleging that 31 Baylor football players committed 52 rapes and were protected by the school, here are some choice Mulkey quotes, made to fans, at the arena:

"If somebody [is] around you, and they ever say, 'I will never send my daughter to Baylor,' you knock them right in the face."

"The problems we have at Baylor are no different than the problems at any other school in America. Period. Move on, find another story to write."

"I'm just tired of hearing it. I'm tired of people talking on a national scale that don't know what they're talking about. If they didn't sit in those meetings and they weren't a part of the investigation, you're repeating things that you've heard. It's over, it's done.”

"And I'm tired of hearing it. This is a great institution. The problems we have at Baylor are no different than the problems at any other school in America. Period. Move on, find another story to write."

Is this who you want at UT? She doesn't deserve to anywhere near young women.
  19. brnkj

brnkj 250+ Posts

Kind of comical (not to mention delusional) that anyone would say every other university has done what Baylor has done... covering up rapes and, oh yeah, let's not forget that MURDER.
    DFW_Horn likes this.
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 2,500+ Posts

Make that plural (murderS). How about dying today, paying off the family at breakfast, then cremating the body before the sun goes down and any investigation can take place?
    brnkj likes this.
  21. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

JoeDallas and Ellis21d like this.