Mulkey to LSU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by George Bailey, Apr 25, 2021.

1. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

There's an entire discussion about this (it's been going on for several days actually) under the "2021 Coaching Carousel" thread. Just FYI

• Like Like x 1
  3. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Hope I didn't burn up too much of my allotted bandwidth...

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:beertoast:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Rather than clutter the Carousel thread with foolishness...

• Funny Funny x 11
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

What a b*tch.... says Tech fans :herring:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

STUNNED! I've been following this story all weekend on all the wcbb forums. Man I can't believe it.

I am very glad that we made a move last year and hired Coach Vic.

• Like Like x 3
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Honestly, I like what she is doing for the game. If you want to grow the game you have to create the storylines and push the envelope/pay standards like the men do. WBB is sometimes seen as "stale and/or boring" by the casual fan. Anything that gets people talking/watching is good for the game.

Thats why I always said that the Tenn/Uconn and Uconn/ND series were always so heavily watched compared to other games. There are plenty of matchups in a given year that offer high level competition but didn't have the appetizing storylines to go along with it.

The entire LSU fanbase is activated around WBB again. Just about everyone one of their sports talk radio guys who have never discussed the women have been talking about KM for a week.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  11. 2003TexasGrad

Women's basketball IS stake and boring.

I'll always cheer for all UT sports but women's basketball doesn't hold a candle to men's. People talk about fundamentals but it's so much clunkier. A DIII men's team would demolish the best D1 women's team.

It's one of the things that's irks me about Megan Rapinoe complaining that the women do the same job as the men in soccer. No they don't. The women's national team lost to the FC Dallas U-15 academy team in a scrimmage 5-2.

I know it's popular in movies and TV to have women badasses who beat all the men but its just fantasy. Anyway, I enjoy it for what it is and they represent the university so I'll root for them, but there's a reason women's basketball doesn't get the attention the men's game gets.

• poop poop x 2
  12. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

What has been so surprising in some of the articles is how quickly people forgot that Mulkey was in the rumor mix after Pokey Chatman was run off from LSU circa '07 or '08. While she certainly has had success in Waco, she wasn't really ever a LOCAL and who really WANTS to call Waco home for any length of time. She called it home for much longer than I ever expected...

That being said...jumping from one sexual harassment cesspool into another one IS a surprise. Makes me wonder just how many MORE skeletons lurk in those Waco closets...

13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Don't forget she's squeaky clean compared to the current LSU MBB coach. I used to think Calipari was the shadiest coach in NCAA basketball but Will Wade makes him look like a choir boy by comparison.

14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I agree with that to an extent, but you have to look at both sides. Yes, the LSU fan base is interested again but what about Baylor? If they don't make the right hire they could become Texas, tech, USC, etc and fall back into the wayside. LSU is a program that's had great success before, you can't say the same about Baylor before Kim arrived.

15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Interesting. I find the men's game to be boring and not very watchable both college and the NBA. This coming from a 38 year old man.

• Agree Agree x 11
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I prefer watching high level women's games. At high levels it's basketball in it's purest form IMO. It involves the teamwork, game planning and strategies required to play the game the way Dr. Naismith designed it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 2003TexasGrad

I'm glad someone enjoys it. The lack of speed and strength severely limits what these ladies can do. They pass well but it's just a much slower game.

• poop poop x 1
  18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Irrelevant post of the day. I prefer watching the women’s game, but I don’t have a (needy) need to jump on the MBB forum and insert my opinion about that on some random topic that has zero to do with it.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 2003TexasGrad

I was responding directly to a post above that literally said some people find women's basketball stale and boring. I expanded on that while also stating my support for the ladies.

It's definitely relevant. You disagree which is fine. Hey look, discourse!

• poop poop x 2
  20. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

The first part of your post is your opinion so i'll leave that part to you.

To your point about Rapinoe, her point was specifically about investments and compensation related to performance which is all anyone is entitled to. Mens sports don't just generate more money because there are more men watching, thats just historically where all the investment has been. Boys grow up playing sports/investing time/money in honing that craft with million $$ dreams. Thats what leads to it being a superior product in most cases. Women don't generally see those lucrative opportunities so they tend to focus more academically. Her point was that it shouldn't and doesn't have to be that way!

Women make up 52% of the population and there are far more little girls than little boys, so the sooner brands/teams and sports start to invest in women, the sooner they'll start seeing real ROI. Look at the shift within the NFL, and beer companies specifically

• Agree Agree x 5
  21. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I welcome you 2003TexasGrad to opine because everything you state, I agree, as true.

I started gravitating towards the women's game and away from the men's game in the 2000's. I got tired of seeing in the NBA: set a pick with the opposing team's weakest defensive player so that the offense's best player can take the defender one-on-one.

It became boring, stale, and lacks team play and imagination to me (I recognize there's exceptions).

I prefer the women's game because it is the purer form of basketball where teamwork, movement without the ball, and passing is emphasized over one-on-one basketball. It's not solely who's faster, stronger, or jumps higher.

Now I solely watch the women's college game instead of men's or NBA.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  22. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Exactly. Everything and everyone looks the same in terms of style of play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

When it comes to the NBA, I don't even watch until its down to the conference finals.

• Agree Agree x 6
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yeah. I haven't watched an NBA game from start to finish in 3 or 4 years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. 2003TexasGrad

Oh
    Well I respect your conviction in taste. :catfight:

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. 2003TexasGrad

I don't watch it anymore for political reasons.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • poop poop x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  27. 2003TexasGrad

Rapinoe is not an honest person. US Soccer offered to pay the women the same as the men, but they refused, and in fact the women ended up making more than the men, so she is a liar.

This is an excellent analysis:

52% to 48% isn't "far more." And you can invest as much as you want but it still won't be a better product for the same reason MLS isn't as good as the EPL. At the end of the day the players are just better.

I get some of you prefer watching the women's basketball game but if you put them head to head what will happen? So no matter how good the ladies are, it'd not a superior product. It's pretty aggy to say they play a more pure game so its better, when they are getting blown off the court (or pitch) head to head.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I prefer college sports to Pro. Why is that? Love of school vs. paycheck? Going to the tournament vs. "How much can I make in free agency"? I'll take camaraderie and teamwork over individual accolades. If you don't like the game they play, then please just shut up and let the rest of us enjoy it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  29. 2003TexasGrad

If you actually read my posts sincerely you'd see I was very clear that I support our teams (men or women) but that doesn't mean I can't have a valid opinion about the differences between them.

You may not like it but more than one thing can be true at the same time. I can root for the Lady Horns but also know that they aren't on the same level as the men. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy watching them. I never said you can't or shouldnt.

My point was never about pro versus college or lack of teamwork or camaraderie... you're putting words in my mouth because you're missing my point or you just want to trash me. You have to have both of those things to he successful regardless of level. Again, more than one thing can be true whether you like it or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Apparently a match made in heaven:

Baylor's Mulkey sounds off on scandal scrutiny

Suit alleges LSU conspired to keep women quiet

I mean seriously, the level of cynicism and numbness to the hubris, arrogance and egomania of these people is beyond category. She is walking into a minefield, came from a minefield without any care in the world about her absolutely tone-deaf and insensitive remarks and will be paraded around like a hero.

I say these things because I will be sure my daughter is taught not to deify people like her or big-time sports in general.

• Like Like x 1