Mulkey to LSU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by George Bailey, Apr 25, 2021.

1. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Yes, I can picture your support being "Wow, that was really great defense, for a girl..." You say you support all UT teams, and I don't doubt that, but you are still and all dismissing what the women's game offers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Probably one of the most unnecessary posts I’ve ever read.

I prefer the women’s game for lots of reasons - many listed by other posters already - but mostly I prefer the women’s game because I usually don’t run into people like you. Save your clever comeback. Trust me. It won’t be as clever as you think, and it won’t make a bit of difference to me.

I usually go away between seasons but I came back to read about Mulkey. She is now the SEC’s problem. God help Tennessee and South Carolina.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Can we please get LSU/Baylor in the Big 12/SEC challenge:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Again, more than one thing can be true at the same time. I can root for a pee wee football team but also acknowledge those kids aren't very good. Am I being disingenuous by cheering on a little kid but recognizing they aren't very good? Yes. The answer is yes. And there's nothing wrong with that. Now apply that same concept to other sports such as women's basketball or even men's college basketball. Or compare MLS soccer to EPL soccer. I can still root for Austin FC and the MLS even though they honestly are a lower level than the best European leagues. It isn't even about sex or gender at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2003TexasGrad

Clever comeback? Geez. This isnt a game. There's no Hornfans prize. I don't think. See my post above. I'll still root for all our teams. You can prefer women's basketball but surely you don't believe it's the highest level of the game right? Not trying to be clever here. One can enjoy something but be able to critically and correctly acknowledge there's a better product out there. To me the better product beats the inferior product by the same rules. You can't say the women's game is a better product while also acknowledging the best women's team would lose by 50 to an average men's team.

• poop poop x 2
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

You really don’t get it. Do you?

You came here spewing opinion as if it was fact. Better and inferior are relative terms. Is that concept too intellectual for you? What you consider better is relevant to you and only you. For example, I prefer to hang out with smart people. Which is why you and I don’t hang out. But to an idiot, you might be smart. Again, both idiot and smart are relative to the speaker as well as the subject. In your circle, you might be brilliant.

This is a thread for fans of the women’s game. We might like the men’s game too, but some of us actually don’t like the men’s game... for personal reasons. That’s all. What we look for in the sport makes the women’s game superior to the men’s. No biggie. Just relative.

But... we are emotionally intelligent enough not to head over to the men’s thread and take a cr*p for no reason whatsoever.

The fact that you can cheer the women on while deeming them an inferior product says all I need to know about you. Not watching the NBA for political reasons is fairly telling as well. Go on and drag your knuckles back to the men’s thread. I hear the conversations there are “superior” anyway. More your style.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Salary details:

"Kim Mulkey's deal with #LSU is set to pay Mulkey $2.5 million in year one and will increase to north of $3 million by the end of the deal, which runs through 2028-2029, an LSU official tells @TheAthletic," Miller tweeted. "Again, #LSU is going from paying its women's basketball coach $711,988 this year to paying an average of just under $3 million. Plus, I can assure you, some expected upgrades to facilities."

• Like Like x 2
  8. 2003TexasGrad

Simple question/thought experiment: you say that better/inferior are subjective and only based on opinion correct? In a head to head match up will the better team usually win or will the inferior team win? Take the occasional exception out of the equation.

I'll use MLS and the EPL as an example to avoid the politics of sex/gender. If the top 10 MLS teams in a given year play a home and home with the top 10 EPL teams, the EPL teams would likely win most if not all series based on scoring system. You may say that's just my opinion but there's a reason the EPL is arguably the best league in the world with the biggest sponsorships and highest salaries. It's not because "knuckle draggers" just love that little rock jutting out of the North Sea....

You may not like watching the EPL but you cannot seriously say it's conjecture to conclude its a better/superior product.

You've made it perfectly clear you're not above personally attacking me in your posts when I have not done so to you. Thats pretty telling. I've stuck strictly to my point of view. You may not agree with it but the personal attacks are just childish.

If I have a daughter who plays soccer or basketball I'm going to cheer her on like nobodies business but I'm not gonna act like it's a better product if it's not. A middle school team isn't as good as a high school team and a high school team isn't as good as college team and a college team isn't as good as a pro team.

Anyone with eyeballs can also deduce a women's college team isn't as good as a men's college team. You may enjoy their fundamentals. You may say that they are less likely to try and beat players one on one. You may say that you love the way Harvard plays basketball. Ok.

I've seen enough UConn and Tennessee and Baylor over the years to know they aren't just pick and rolling all over the court and shooting mid range jumpers. They go on fast breaks and they take opponents on one to one. They take rushed three pointers and turn the ball over because of sloppy play.

Our ladies games against UCLA, Maryland and South Carolina are fresh in my mind. They were enjoyable games (SC game not so much) but the difference in skill and quality and is very evident from the men's game. That's not a knock on the ladies. They just can't do what the men can do. The men playing for Austin FC aren't playing for Liverpool or Chelsea or even West Ham or Everton for a reason. I promise it's not because those players just aren't interested. If Leeds approached one of Austin FCs players and said we need you to start for us in the EPL, the Austin player wouldn't say no because MLS is a better product I can assure you.

• poop poop x 1
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

You can stop digging. You’ve reached bottom.

Is a Mercedes superior to a BMW? Depends on what you are looking for in a car.

Is a Steinway inferior to a Bosendorfer? Depends on what music you wish to play and the sound you prefer.

Are girls better than boys at basketball? Depends on what kind of game you want to watch.

Do some parents see their daughters as inferior athletes to their sons or other boys simply because of their gender? Sadly, you answered that already.

• Winner Winner x 7
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  10. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I welcome all opinions, many whom I disagree with, so long as it is respectful.

Although I may not agree with all of 2003TexasGrad's comments and opinions, he has been respectful.

However. the name calling and insults by WCBBNUT is unnecessary.

We all get tired of the personal attacks on this board. Let's not make it personal.

• Like Like x 3
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

When someone comes to this thread and drops insults on women in general, I take it personally. When posters politely disagreed with his overtly sexist generalizations they were met with “you can’t be serious” etc. I stand by my responses. No different than if someone came here making racist remarks. Some things are personal by their very nature.

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Hot x 1
    • poop x 1
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agree with you 100% no place for bigoted remarks here. You've already blasted them into another stratosphere... think about utilizing that IGNORE feature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  14. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Looks like the Baylor players have decided to stick together in waco.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 2003TexasGrad

The UT women's team would crush me if I was playing so its not simply about gender. Im not a basketball player. I tried to make it very clear that gender isn't solely the issue at play by comparing MLS to the EPL. There is a stark difference in quality between those two leagues.

Comparing a BMW to a Mercedes or a Bosendorfer to a Steinway isn't a good analogy.

Is it really sexist or bigoted to point out there is a difference in the level of play between the UT men and women? Or between the US men's and women's national teams?

At no point did I say the women suck. If you're insulted because I point out there is an obvious difference in quality, and that it would manifest itself starkly if the two teams actually played eachother, you can't just call me names and accuse me of sexism.

Conor MacGregor would beat Amanda Nunes 99 out of 100 times. That's not sexist or bigoted.

Anyway feel free to bash me unfettered from here. I yield.

• Like Like x 2
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

You’re enjoying your attention here, but you’ve grown extremely tiresome and have been a reminder we have an ignore feature here. Bye Felicia

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

2003TexasGrad,
    You might as well give up. This board does not want to discuss both sides of anything utwbb or wbb in general. In their view, this is not the place for criticism or anything but the most positive of observations and compliments. The hornfans wbb board is a prime example of cancel culture. If you don't agree with them 100% - CANCELLED (ignored).

Trust me, I've tried multiple times, but they simply don't want to hear it.

I suggest trying BaylorFans or TexAgs. Both are more welcoming and there you can debate the issues.

• poop poop x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

If anyone was eager to get back on topic, Mulkey is making $2.95 per year for 8 years. She’s raising the bar for women’s coaches, and that earns my respect

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, back on topic!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Added bonus for Kim: because of her 15 years at LaTech, after 5 years at LSU she becomes eligible for a state pension that is calculated off the person’s highest annual salary. In this case, the last year at $3M.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Same in Texas. Dual pensions must be nice lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Because Baylor is a private school, they’d have to fund any pension Kim demanded rather than the state, correct?

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

If they aren’t at the same level, then why did the men get bounced out in game #1, while the women went to the Elite 8?? Hmmmm???

24. zztx1

zztx1 100+ Posts

State institutions are defined benefit plans, 80% of the highest salary is one example. Some states use 2-4% per year times some average of your last couple of years of salary. A Texas high school coach or teacher might end up with 60-100K retirement. Private institutions usually use a contribution plan. Your retirement is what you contribute. UT lets some employees choose which plan they want to be in. Baylor is contribution. There is no way KM could get a pension of 2M with contribution. But in Louisiana, she needs only 5 years at LSU and she will get a very high percentage of her highest salary in the last 3 years. No brainer. We all would have taken this job in her position.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Please tell me I'm not really reading this stuff, or it's sarcasm. Can our fanbase really have analytical skills equal to the average "fill in the blank". This reminds me of the hillbillies up in TN that thought their women's BB was better than the men's back when Summit was coach. Did a bunch of hillbillies more to Texas? The question isn't who would win, but would the women even score?

Do you realize the guys from the student body that practice with the women who wouldn't even sniff being a walk on for the men's team routinely beat the women's team? Do you realize a HS men's team beat a WNBA champion team? If the Stanford women's team played the worst B12 men's team (this year ISU), it would be an absolute slaughter. It wouldn't be 50, the men would score well over 100 and the women wouldn't break 10.

I've been working out at gyms since I graduated from Texas and I'm getting old now and not once have I seen a female bench press half what I lift and I wouldn't sniff and FCS scholarship in any sport. I've played in a competitive coed softball league with some girls that played in the WCWS and not one of them was half the player I was.

As I say these things, I'm actually one of the few guys that really enjoys watching the Texas women's sports teams, but I certainly don't try to convince myself they're even on the same planet in strength and athletic ability as the men. I guess you're one of the woke that thinks men should be allowed to compete in the women's Olympic sports and take all their medals away.

Go ahead poop away as I know some will never accept reality.