Multiple Former Longhorns Selected in the USFL Draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bck031, Feb 25, 2022.

1. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Four former Longhorns were selected in the inaugural draft for the United States Football League on Tuesday, as receiver Brennan Eagles, defensive back Davante Davis, defensive tackle Chris Nelson, and kicker Nick Rose all heard their names called.

Multiple Former Longhorns Selected in the USFL Draft

• Like Like x 1
  2. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Hope the Generals don't score a "game tying" touchdown at the end of a game...

3. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

• Like Like x 1
  4. hornarama

hornarama 100+ Posts

I was curious if they had resurrected the old USFL in some form. But after a search found there are no ties to the original USFL. Just FYI for anybody old enough to remember that experiment in the 80's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I remember Herschel Walker went there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As did Jim Kelly before moving on the Buffalo

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I’ve been around long enough that, as a young kid, I saw players without face masks on the field. Some wore them, but as I recall, a number of them didn’t.

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think you mean the late 70s. I say that because I had business dealings with the owner of the Houston franchise and remember discussing with him the stadium choice of The Astrodome versus Rice Stadium

9. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Make me wonder, if Eagles career would be any different if he had come back for one year. At the time, it seemed like a very bad decision for him to leave early. However, he did not seem like he was 100% focused on football. Being 100% focused on football is obviously the most important trait if you are going to make the NFL.